Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

I think Android "device admin" & "usage access" permissions would make a great one

Btw TELL LINUS HE'S LEAVING US LINUSCATTIPS SUBSCRIBERS HANGING, THEN SCRATCH HIM ON BEHALF OF DEPRIVED CATS EVERYWHERE

Building laptops vs building desktops 

5 hours ago, fpo said:

Building laptops vs building desktops 

Building a laptop died off in 2012, back in my day you could upgrade everything in laptop (CPU, RAM, Display). Now a days you're lucky to get RAM and the display (thanks to LVDS standards)

Tech Quickie Suggestion:
LineageOS, the successor to CyanogenMod

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Building a laptop died off in 2012, back in my day you could upgrade everything in laptop (CPU, RAM, Display). Now a days you're lucky to get RAM and the display (thanks to LVDS standards)

It's still everywhere in Asia, with high end gaming laptops and ultrabooks.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, Kumaresh said:

It's damn near impossible to assemble a laptop yourself with off the shelf components, so I don't think this is a feasible topic. However, there are some custom laptop configurator sites with much more variety than normal OEMs afford.

Exactly. 

Also there are options to build laptops with standards similar to how desktops have ATX. It would show why people build desktops as opposed to laptops. 

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Tech Quickie Suggestion:
LineageOS, the successor to CyanogenMod

I still think the concept and learning about the past is interesting. 

What is a USB ground loop? And how does USB isolation fix that?

I wouldn't mind seeing a video on ScaleMP. 

You'e done the multi-user gaming on a single machine, how about a gaming machine out of many machines.

From my understanding the free version of scale MP allows memory to be aggregated, but not cores. Maybe you could get the ScaleMP people to give you a licence to aggregate CPU's. Running XenServer with a single windows host you might be able to get a machine with Terra bytes of memory and a Gazillion cores :-)

It would be fun to see.

Unfortunately  I am under resourced to test out the scenario :-(

All the best

Wifi Card (PCIE) vs Wifi Adapters in 2018. 

Why would someone get a wifi card when you can buy a usb adapter capable of speeds "600mb" per second at nearly 10 bucks.

I've been wondering what the difference is between DDR4 VS DDR5 Memory. We see DDR5 used exclusively in almost every graphics card for multiple years now but we don't see RAM being made with DDR5, only up to DDR4, why is this? 

GPU Pricing could possibly make for an interesting video too. 

the history of headphones 1891 Ernest Mercadie first earbuds to Electrophones headphones in 1894 skip to stereo headphones invented by EMI modern 

On 4/25/2013 at 10:11 AM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Why you should/shouldn't update your drivers, and maybe a follow up on how to update them? (Don't know if this follows the rules, because I honestly don't know how to update them)

Hey! 

I think a tech quickie about the how a video game file saving works might be interesting (for example how large open-worlds and decision-making videogames save their files). It can be sorta like a videogame file saving history.

With the Macbook refresh recently. People keep mentioned bigger battery to compensate for the new RAM. Can you test the validity of back when Apple was saying they had less RAM to save battery when so many other laptops are able to get similar battery life. More of a... The Workshop episode I guess.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Can you explain the several Dolby brands. Atmos, Vision etc.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Why some SSDs are faster than others, what separates an 850 evo from an 850 pro, why is intel optane so crazy, why your home made SSD with micro ssd cars was ummm...almost functional

Can you make a video on Microsoft's Blutrack technology? Possibly do a comparison about Logitech's Darkfield too.

This is more of a video for the main channel i guess.

How to update UEFI/BIOS and does it give the system an increase in performance ?

How to transfer data from your old operating system m.2 SSD to a new one. For example: I want to upgrade my m.2 from a 250 to a 500(or whatever). Do I have to install windows and programs again or buy a new copy and install new programs? Like my board only has one m.2 slot.

Edited by piscator566
fix errors

It would be cool to see a Tech Quickie explaining the various graphics options in both AMD and Nvidia. Picture as an example 

Capture.PNG

Ipv4 and ipv6 explained, and also WHY THE HECK I can't use my wireless MFD with my mac to Scan, can use it to Print, but not scan.  My research show its to do with ipv4 vs ipv 6 stuffs........