Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

34 minutes ago, correct said:

What is mobile hotspot and how do i use it? (Windows 10 laptops only i think?)

Can i go over the limit of my connections if my hotel says i can only add 1 device to the WiFi?

Does it slow down you're internet if you are using it and by how much?

something i think would be intresting if you could cover this in an video.

thanks .

Mobile hotspot is what you think it is, it's a portable device that can broadcast a wifi signal

As wifi routers use MAC address's to associate devices linked with your account you won't be able to go over the limit of devices

If you somehow manage to bypass the "only x amount of devices" rule, then it will slow down not because you broke the hotel's rules but as there is another device sharing the bandwidth the speed with drop for EVERY device connected to the network; unless of course each device is limited to a certain download speed on the router end which if it's a hotel, it most likley is, to stop someone using the wifi to say download a RAW Blu-Ray film and hogging all the bandwdith

This suggestion would probably be better suited as a LTT video but here it goes. Where I live, I have a wireless router that provides internet to my apartment provided by the apartment complex. I am wondering if purchasing a WDS bridging router and sending ethernet to my devices would be quicker than having all of them on wifi. My thought is that since having fewer connections from the same AP there will be less load on the AP and there for a more reliable and faster connection for my devices. Or maybe it is negligible and doesn't make that big of a difference. 

On 13/04/2018 at 9:11 PM, Kamjam21xx said:

22. Explain phantom power.

Phantom power Is used with microphones, typically the two and 3 pins of the XLR are +ve and -ve, with the 1 pin being ground. The mic only receives a small amount of power, enough to amplify the tiny signals coming from the condenser coil. This added power means that the signal can reach the mixing surface/amp. The power is pretty small, only about 250mA at max. There are lots of different types of mics that might only work with the suppliers PSU's, so the powers need to be checked, otherwise your Spanky new £300 mic won't be having a fun day

I make intelligent lights do cool things

19 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

Phantom power Is used with microphones, typically the two and 3 pins of the XLR are +ve and -ve, with the 1 pin being ground. The mic only receives a small amount of power, enough to amplify the tiny signals coming from the condenser coil. This added power means that the signal can reach the mixing surface/amp. The power is pretty small, only about 250mA at max. There are lots of different types of mics that might only work with the suppliers PSU's, so the powers need to be checked, otherwise your Spanky new £300 mic won't be having a fun day

While covering voltage Its common in various pieces of equipment to not even recognize a signal unless it meets a certain voltage. Line level audio I think the range is usually about 0.3v-1.5v and can go a little higher. its always good to get your voltages in check. 

Standard voltage for phantom power is 24v but ranges from 12-48v and is DC.

9 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Standard voltage for phantom power is 24v but ranges from 12-48v and is DC.

Depends on country and manufacture, in the uk its 24v, but I know its different in Europe. In one of the places I worked we had an ILive-t112 and a 48-in mix rack that could be told about the make of the mic and adjust accordingly. I think they have moved to the new dLive now, but I don't work their anymore 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

What does "open source" really mean? Maybe a vid on this thing?

Not sure if its really techquickie material but have you guys seen these cheap 30-70$ chinese mini "1080P HD" projectors on amazon? Theres dozens of them. I wonder how crappy they are or if there's any possible use for one. 

for reference: https://www.amazon.ca/Excelvan-Portable-Projector-Theater-Entertainment/dp/B01N4AFTF5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525325410&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+projector

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

I think you could make a pretty interesting video about the science behind why high temperatures are bad for cpus and gpus. By this I mean things like electromigration and other causes of semiconductor failures that can be sped up by heat.

Is this still being used by LTT?

I've seen many video's lately about cpu comparison with almost everywhere xeon versus flagship cpu's. But isn't it a bit pointless, considering that many games generally support 1-4 cores because otherwise they will cut off big deal of the possible player base, which was a big issue back then to some extend till now. Until the standard goes up that people with less than 4 cores can't play a game, then the usage of CPU performance can be greatly increased in games. Now ghz single core still matters most for the fps increase. You could make a video covering the progression of past years explaining that for example Men Of War (seriously one of the best games gameplay wise, spent like hundreds of hours on completing missions with my friend) only supported up to 2 duo cores and the my friend with a quad core had horrible fps (lower ghz) compared with me having a duo core cpu ( higher ghz). And how the technology advancement increased (maybe windows or the new unreal engine utilises better cpu usages or how vulkan api somehow tries to compensate the lack of cpu core support by ofloading). And most importantly the predictions, because the point of the video is that you're going to give a tech tip of how relevant is having more cores for games and when you should expect in future to be more cpu's relevant. 

You can also a tech tip about the new 4k 144 hz HDR (acer, asus) monitors to be released within a month or two. And to mention that you need a certain minimum of cpu or videocards to benefit from the 144 hz. Instead of telling how amazing the new monitor is leaving idiots buying the monitor to play at 60 fps. Use some setups with multiple videocards and see the fps.

Make some video interesting big projects, like you did how you organized all the stuff in your building. But instead make a big video about a new project, like how you going to make a Pneumatic tube system in your office in the name of science (ofcourse you can do plenty of usefull stuffs to transport items). Look picture below, you put stuffs in tube like let's say office paper or ram stick or cpu and play with it. It's fun me to see how such system will be implemented in your office, so maybe we nerds can make one at home to bring up cola cans, ice cream to the place you want to without carrying it.

Image result for pneumatic tube system

I guess if I bring up more ideas it will get too spammy to read, I'll it end by here for now. if you appreciate my post, please let me know.

How games are "optimized" for different platforms. Like how PUBG is poorly optimized for PC.

This isn't necessarily for TechQuickie, but I didn't see any other suitable place for a video suggestion.

Stumbled across this recently https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/sli-with-different-cards.158907/

DifferentSLIAuto

It's basically a tool that allows you to SLI cards that are otherwise unsupported. It seems to function a lot like CrossFire, where as long as the two (or more) cards in question have similar architecture, you can enable SLI between them. For example, it allows you to SLI a GTX 660 with a GTX 760, or even two GT 1030's.

I can totally see Linus saying something along the lines of

"Need to upgrade?...something something...GPU market inflation...something something...got older cards lying around? Enter, Different SLI Auto!"

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Maybe a tech quickie suggestion, but I could well imagine a full LTT video on this: How does the binning process work and how exactly do manufacturers achieve binning in such a high-throughput process?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

How does using a vpn inpact your latency / packetloss / stability, if at all?

Ask pia for sponsor *wink *nudge

5 minutes ago, Kartoffelbrei said:

How does using a vpn inpact your latency / packetloss / stability, if at all?

Welcome to the forum.
That will all depend on your own internet connection and hardware just as much as it will your VPN provider. This is without considering which of the 3000+ servers in 28 countries you're connecting to with PIA.
It's pretty safe to say that there will be some increase in latency regardless.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

How does using a protective cover on a smartphone reduce connectivity on phone calls and internet.

I saw shops that sell covers with integrated antennas to sustain the signal and i was wondering if that is necessary.

Shoddy all-in-one PCs that all seem to be designed to fail.

Laptops that run hot to make sure they fail just out of warranty (basically anything entry level with HP written on it, in my experience).

CPU - Intel i7 4790k - Motherboard - Asus Z97 deluxe - RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 - GPU - 2 x Strix GTX 970 SLI - Case - Lian-Li PC-P50 (black) - Storage - Samsung 850 pro 2.5" SSD (512GB) / WD Black 1TB - PSU - Corsair AX 860 - Display(s) - 3 x Dell U2412M - Cooling - Corsair H115i / Corsair AF140s - Keyboard - Logitech G910 - Mouse - Logitech G903 - Sound - Soundblaster Z - Operating System - Windows 10 64bit

On 5/8/2018 at 5:32 AM, NegerJoch said:

History of USB

Would love to watch that.

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
     Kingston ssdnow v300 128gb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
    2x Asus - VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

What is the difference between CAT 5, CAT 5e, CAT 6, and CAT 7 cables? How do you know which cable your router can use? What is the difference in speeds? How much should I spend on such cables?