Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LinusTech

Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Over the past week I've recalling fondly my early days overclocking. The first board I had was a Athalon X2 shortly followed by a big upgrade to the famous Intel Q6600. Although not that long ago in the grand scheme of things, overclocking then was very different to now. We had no UEFI and even high end motherboards didn't make the process of overclocking easy. So overclocking really taught you a lot about the underlying architecture of the CPU.

This got me thinking I wonder if anyone has ever done a "history overclocking" video. I had a quick YouTube search and didn't come up with much but I reckon this video is one which many in our community would enjoy.

Anyway, enough reminiscing! I just thought this could make a great topic for a TechQuickie video! :)

FPGA FAP would be great (also quite topical too)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark T-Force 3200Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Asus Rog Strix Vega 64 8GB OC Edition | Coolermaster Master Air 620P | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Coolermaster Master Box MB520P | Acer XB280HK 4K G Sync | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

802.11AD afap

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

1.  Low vs High Voltage Leakage for CPU's Particularly Ryzen.

I.E Why is a 1700 65w and a 1700x 95w, and Why should the average consumer care?  How it effects overclocking/Voltage Curves etc.   Most people do not know how this works or functions though not to steal AMD's light, most people just assume the X one is better which isn't necessarily the case for the general user.  

2. AMD CCX Design and Fabric in their Lineup 

Another case of a topic most people don't understand but many are interested in these chips.  Why ryzens are 4+4 and not straight 8 cores.  Why R5's are going to be 3+3, etc.  How that effects consumers, and why some programs might not take full advantage of it today.  Because of Latency/Crosstalk etc.

I have some suggestions. 

Does the amount of ROPS matter? and what do shader processing units actually do? 

le luci del giorno viventi

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H115i extreme performance liquid cooler (280mm radiator), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4X4GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Congrats on the 1 million milestone guys!

How about twisted pair vs shielded cables for reducing interference?

Could you guys do a video on obscure CPU architectures? For example, do a video on the several architectures by Sun Microsystems like the "UltraSparc archetecture", and the "T - series processors". Talk about what they are used for, and why people/corperations need what the architectures provide.

If you want to stick to Intel, then do a video explaining what the "Itanium" (IA-64) archetecture is, and what it is used for. 

Then you could go on to discuss the differences between the technologies of x86 and the above mentioned architectures.

For example, the latest generation of T-series CPUs by Sun are able to have 8 logical threads per core. Sorta like hyperthreading on steroids.

I personally find these obscure architectures interesting because they manage to stay relevant, considering the market they compete in is mostly dominated by the x86 architecture.

Here are some links to help you in your research:

Sun Microsystems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems

Sun Microsystems UltraSparc architecture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC

Sun Microsystems T-series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC_T-Series

Intel Itanium:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium

I don't know if it was suggested or even created, but i would like to see it done so here is my suggestion.

The difference between different companies for keyboard and mice.

1. What are really the differences, why some are more popular or not?
  2. Which company has best record for quality of its products and quality of warranty service over all?
  3. Also which brand do you recommend?
  4. What Keyboards and Mice do you recommend in general, for gaming for office use and so on?

Intel Optane AFAP

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"We’re here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff.” - Scott Pilgrim

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

Podcasts! How they're distributed, how different from radio, how they're different from video streaming, etc

It's not a complicated topic but it's one people don't know about. 

On 3/21/2017 at 3:31 PM, Maestro_Da_Vinci said:

I don't know if it was suggested or even created, but i would like to see it done so here is my suggestion.

The difference between different companies for keyboard and mice.

1. What are really the differences, why some are more popular or not?
  2. Which company has best record for quality of its products and quality of warranty service over all?
  3. Also which brand do you recommend?
  4. What Keyboards and Mice do you recommend in general, for gaming for office use and so on?

1. Different cherry switches and RGB

2. Corsair and Logitech

3. Corsair or Logitech

4. G502, MX Master and Corsair K70/K95/LUX/Strafe