Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LinusTech

Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

go back and review physx card applications with higher end cards ( 970 on up ) and complimentary physx card variations. ( LOW END 32 cuda core cards on up ) ( 610's/7oo series 750/etc. please use more modern games.

The Linus tech tips forum as fast as possible.

Probably waiting for the forum to load until the NBN gets here, while waiting for my school laptop to boot.

Custom PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5820k | RAM: 20GB 2400 DDR4 | Mobo: Asus x99-a | GPU: MSI gtx 980 | Case: Coolermaster CM Storm | HDD: 3TB WD Black | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: Coolermaster V1000 | Display: BenQ XL2730Z | OS: Windows 10 Home (boot: 34 seconds)

School Laptop (Used to run Inventor and Photoshop):

Spoiler

HP Probook 430 G2 (CPU: i3 4030U (underclocked and locked to 1.9Ghz) | RAM: 4GB | HDD: 320GB (60GB for user) | Display: 1366x768 TN 13.3 | (boot: 7:23) (Now with 200% more bloat)

Personal Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron PP20L OS: Mint and CentOS (absolutely crushes my school laptop despite being about 8 years old)

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Headmounted Speakers: Sony MDR 1RNC ( @LinusTech should seriously review some Sony headphones, these sound amazing.) , TypeWriter: Logitech  MX800, Clicker: Logitech MX800

Totally Useful Links:

Spoiler

How about (maybe not a tech quickie, maybe a full ltt, but then again as processor tech isn't moving fast these days)

A video where you benchmark a range of cpus (old mid range and so on) and show where the cpu/ memory bottlenecks the GPU for a range of cards.. or find the top card for a range of chips from core2 duo's, q6600 , i7920, i72600k, AMD phenom II and so on..

A reasonable range of processors and the top card to use for a range of games

My Idea is that you can say for x processor (eg i7 920 @ stable oc) in y range of games (like civ, cs, crysis) and the top card to use before bottlenecking is abc (civ is processor heavy, so I expect it would bottleneck reasonably fast) like a GTX 960/780 etc

More useful for the folks on low budgets (scrapyard wars like) but possibly VERY useful for the foreseeable future (would only need an update every few years to stay reasonably relevant)

Hope you get it and think it would be worth doing

TLDR

Bench range of ~8cpus (older systems from dual cores to reasonably modern quads from both AMD and Intels most popular) with a range of older or lower end GPU (best bang for buck in 4 price ranges maybe?)

Find optimum gpu for set of gaming loads (eg a 580 for a Core2duo running abc type of game or a 280 in xyz game)

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

The difference between integer and floating point, what kind of workload benefits from which, which is more important for gaming, etc.

Also how Hyperthreading is managed, is it windows ? How does it know to use 2 threads on different cores vs 2 on the same core, etc.

Custom CPU heatsinks for non-K / non-overclockable CPUs? I think one historic argument is for extending the lifespan of the CPU, but CPUs seem to be pretty invincible these days and never fail. I guess the main thing would be noise levels. Would a cheap but decent $20-30 cooler actually help reduce noise by a lot while idle / under load? Is it impossible for stock heatsinks to thermal throttle?

Motherboard chipsets

PSU wattage

speaker configurations (like 7.1, 5.1, stereo, and mono)

GPU coolers and/or board partners

these may or may not have already been suggested. 

My build | Ryzen 5 3600 | Cryorig H7 | GTX 1080 | 16GB Team Dark | ASUS STRIX B450 Gaming F | 2TB HDD 250GB SSD | EVGA GS 650 | CoolerMaster Masterbox Lite 5 |

Phone: OnePlus 6T (OOS with Magisk) | Verizon

Proud owner of an Omnibot 2000 and 5402

@Vulrax❤️

10 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Motherboard chipsets

PSU wattage

speaker configurations (like 7.1, 5.1, stereo, and mono)

GPU coolers and/or board partners

these may or may not have already been suggested. 

GPU Reference designs vs partner designs

GPU scalability for professionals.

I just upgraded to a 6950x and next in line is my GPU. Considering a second 980 Ti to run in SLI, replacing the 980 Ti with a 1080, or going 1080 SLI but I'm not sure if the benefits justify the upgrade cost. It would be great if somebody with access to today's popular cards (wink wink) tested single card vs SLI performance in professional applications like Premiere Pro, AME, Cinema 4D, After Effects, etc. Since time is money for professionals I'm curious to see how the law of diminishing returns affects render times before I commit to a possible $1300 USD upgrade with 1080 SLI.

Not sure this would qualify as a tech quickie, but could you guys benchmark enthusiast cpu hyperthreading vs no-hyperthreading. So for instance what's the difference in gaming performance of a 5820K with hyperthreading on, hyperthreading off, and vs a 6700K (considering they were close in price)? I would like to see the difference in performance of 6 cores 6 threads vs 4 cores 8 threads.

I'm also interested in the overclockability of just 6 cores, vs 6 cores with hyperthreading on, and the associated heat generated in each case for same clock speeds.

This sounds more like a regular testing video than a tech quickie, but I'm not sure where else to post it.

Thanks 

EPINEPHRINE 2.0: Corsair Air 240 | Intel Core i7-8700K | MSI Z370M PRO AC | Corsair Dom Plats 2x8gb DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080Ti SeaHawk (Hybrid) | Corsair HX1050 | Corsair H100iV2 | 850 Evo 500gb | WD Black 750gb |

AMIODARONE: CM HAF 912 | Intel Xeon E5-2670 | Intel DX79SI | 4x4gb DDR3 1333 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair CX750 | Thermalright HR02 Macho | 850 Evo 250gb | WD Green 1TB | Seagate 3TBx2

Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/80234

Other file systems than Windows such as Mac and Linux file systems please. 

I'm not sure if this is Techquickieable. But worth a shot.

Maybe a techquickie on how to make your computer have a decent lifespan. I don't mean parts becoming outdated or outmoded, I mean preventing parts from failing/preventing computer slowdown from heavy use.

You talked about computer erganomics, which is basically keeping yourself healthy while using a computer. Now, do a video on how to keep your computer healthy while being used by a human! :P

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 1950x with Corsair h115i AIO cooler

GPU: Titan X Hybrid

Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

Some things that came into mind lately: 
How does Microsoft SQL work? 
Also, how about a video on how to avoid corrosion/weather related damage to PC components. 

最高へ行こうよ

Hey bro,

Much love from Australia!!

Can you do a video of your 100k & 1m subscriber trophies from YouTube? You get a silver and gold "Play" button (respectively). It's a fully-hectic-sick achievement and 'cause reasons.

(You have inspired me to return to tertiary education to hone my IT-Media skills!! Maybe one day LMG will need an Australian contact!?!)

On 2/16/2016 at 0:47 AM, 123456789 said:

CFL vs incandescent vs led light bulbs

Lamps*

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W