Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LinusTech

Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

Posted · Original PosterOP

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

How to install an OS for people who don't know how to use a computer very well. How to use Windows or Linux for everyday tasks. Just hold a laptop.

I think it'd be useful to have a "redo" video on graphics card shopping (mostly to address the "2GB card > 1GB card" misconception for the general public)... I know it's obvious to us but my roommate was shopping for a new graphics card the other day and was basically looking at how much memory each card has.  I advised him of the truth but I don't think it got through to him.  When we got back he asked me how many gigs my card had.  I know there's an NCIX video on it but to be honest it's kind of useless to anyone who doesn't already know what you're talking about, there's so much tech jargon in it I think it goes completely over the heads of people who aren't tech-savvy enough to know not to judge graphics cards by their VRAM.

ECC

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How to get the best performance out of USB3 drives (Setting the drive to performance mode rather than quick removal). Seriously took me a long time to figure this out for my self, always thought that it would just be faster by default. A quick optimise guide for USB3 drives could help others fix their speed woes.