Help with PC WIFI/Ethernet, Internet Slower than my Macbook? Need Fix!

Hello! I need help fixing my PC wifi/ethernet internet for some reason my gaming PC is only getting 20 Megabits per second download or even less than that... (upload has kind of been all over the place) this is on wifi or on a CAT 7 ethernet cable (I have tried other cables and cable types still not boosting anything). My 2013 Macbook pro on wifi is getting well over 100-150 Megabits per second, and on an ethernet cable it's getting around 200 megabits per second.

I only recently upgraded from spectrums gateway (modem/router/switch) unit to an Arris DOCSIS 3.0, 32x8 Modem, and Netgears xr500 NIGHTHAWK PRO Router. To avoid an ethernet cable mess I put both of the units in my bedroom. They are up above my TV on a rack, My room is 10 feet by 12 feet (square shape), and to be fair… I do have quite a few things behind the TV. Cords, A massive surge protector, wires, an El Gato HD 60S capture card, and an Xbox One, and the networking cables and what not. The modem and router are like 5 feet away from my pc, and I still am getting a horrible connection. 

Everywhere else in the house the internet is solid for my parents MacBooks and Phones getting at the lowest point like 40 megabits, but that’s in their bedroom behind like 5 walls at the far end of the condo. 

I have looked around online for solutions but after 3 days I need some help. 

Just for reference, my gaming pc is brand new, I built it myself, i9, 64GB RAM, and an ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code Motherboard with the wifi adapter on the top of my PC, the gaming pc is onto of a standing desk (yes I stand and game). Is there somewhere I can control the wifi antenna, maybe its in a power saving mode or something? All my drivers have been updated recently (recently as in yesterday).  

If you could reply ASAP I would really appreciate it, I only have 7 days left to return the modem and router to best buy if I can’t figure this out! Thanks!!

What motherboard does your PC have? Specifically wondering about the ethernet port specs on it and who made it. Also, what wifi card does your PC have? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

It's the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code Motherboard, I'm not using a wifi card it's the integrated wifi. 1347551302_ScreenShot2019-07-12at1_35_51PM.png.3105a0376867b51b248bf91f2daec81a.png

If you connect the pc with ethernet to the router, and make sure there are not other devices connected, what speeds do you get?

If you try this with another computer (same cables & ports on router) what speeds?

If you have lower speeds on your pc, it has to do with the pc.

If both get the same speeds, get in touch with Netgear.

If your pc has the issue, try to update all the things: bios, ethernet drivers and (anything that has to do with internet and your mobo)

Also make sure you try a priority port on the router if available

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Just now, TheThymo said:

-snip-

If the issue isn't there when using ethernet, just don't use wifi xD

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

Thanks I'll definitely try those solutions, It's the same speed on both the wifi and ethernet right now... but I'll definitely try what you suggested. I'm only paying for 100 Megabit ethernet, but even still 20 Megabits you know? Really weird when I'm getting 194 download in the living room wirelessly on my 6 year old Macbook pro LOL.  

Another thing, make sure you have the right value sort. There is a difference between megabit and megabyte. 1 byte = 8 bit

Yeah, that's the one thing I have nailed down. Honestly though that would be hilarious. 20 x 8 = 160 Megabits over wifi and freaking 80 upload. LOL. I wish that's what it was. 

Make sure your not putting your PC in the WiFi donut blind spot and sometimes being too close to a Wifi Access point can cause issues.

image.png.60a1278e8fc870cbd93e471f91c15929.png

Thanks, would effect ethernet too? Or just wifi? 

1 hour ago, Natey1 said:

Thanks, would effect ethernet too? Or just wifi? 

since your router is basically next to your (wifi) connected pc, this is not the case. The picture above is not really true.

Yeah I figured the pic wasn't super accurate. I got home and test the wifi speed on my iPhone and Macbook pro and the wifi was insanely fast right next to the PC like on top of it.   

TheThymo and others... I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I found out what it was... The Gamefirst V app on my pc allowed me to see the wifi channels, and change my wifi and ethernet from power saving "normal" mode to extreme mode and now my connection is the same as my other devices. Thanks, so much for the help! I'm so glad that these forums exist!