Nintendo will fix for free any out-of warranty Joycons that faces a drifting issue - refund repair to those to paid.

GoodBytes

Some Nintendo Switch users faces a problem where the analogue controller act as if it being pressed lightly in a direction while the stick is in the reset position. This issue was raised since the Switch was released. It has slowly gain attention, especially that more and more people where having the problem after the 1 year warranty expired. Some formed a class action lawsuit against Nintendo for the issue, as Nintendo refused to repair the broken controllers that were out of warranty. They had a paid for the repair with Nintendo to have it fixed. 

Nintendo never admitted the issue, and nor is announcing anything beside regarding the issue beside:

At Nintendo, we take great pride in creating quality products and we are continuously making improvements to them. We are aware of recent reports that some Joy-Con controllers are not responding correctly. We want our consumers to have fun with Nintendo Switch, and if anything falls short of this goal we always encourage them to visit http://support.nintendo.com so we can help.

However, Vice reports that based on a leak, Nintendo will offer free repair service for those facing with the problem if they call, even for those out of warranty, no proof of purchase needed either. Nintendo has refused the comment on this news to Vice and other sources. And apparently, if you have had previously paid Nintendo to repair your Joycons, the company will issue a refund. No information as of yet if the refunds will be issued automatically.

The Verge says:

If your Nintendo Switch joysticks are becoming unreliable, pointing your game in random directions even if you haven’t physically pushed them that way, you may be experiencing “Joy-Con Drift.” And though Nintendo hasn’t officially admitted to a defect, the company is now quietly repairing the controllers free of charge, according to Vice News.

Vice says it’s obtained an internal Nintendo memo that not only instructs the company’s customer service division to repair those controllers for free, but even issue refunds for previous repairs, all without needing to prove that you actually purchased a Switch and have a valid warranty.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/20707849/nintendo-will-reportedly-fix-joy-con-drift-for-free-even-out-of-warranty

Do you have this problem with your Switch? If so, can you confirm this news?

Good on Nintendo, I guess.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Nice to see Nintendo doing something right.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Nintendo gets a lot of stuff wrong imo, but they've always been good about this kinda stuff. Remember the Mario Party stick rotating gloves? :D

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

They're only doing what they should have done from the start with the first under-warranty reports. They don't actually deserve to be complimented.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hooray, Nintendo! It only took you... a looming lawsuit to do something about this! Pat yaselves on the back for that. What a good corporation.

Seems like every consoles controllers are susceptible to stick drift this gen. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

They're only doing what they should have done from the start with the first under-warranty reports. They don't actually deserve to be complimented.

It's fairly possible it was a specific batch of Joycons that have the issue, so it didn't actually start showing up outside of the normal damage amount until relatively recently. Because this didn't seem to be an issue until fairly recently, so there's a chance the abnormal amount of issues really was just a specific QA issue and it wasn't going to show up until fairly heavy use on them.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's fairly possible it was a specific batch of Joycons that have the issue, so it didn't actually start showing up outside of the normal damage amount until relatively recently. Because this didn't seem to be an issue until fairly recently, so there's a chance the abnormal amount of issues really was just a specific QA issue and it wasn't going to show up until fairly heavy use on them.

The problem isn't recent, its been noted since not long after the Switch's launch.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I wouldn't praise them for actually doing something about defective or faulty products without a lawsuit/class action having been done, but given tech companies and their absolute shit reputation for providing repairs or services for defective products out of warranty or even within warranty, cough cough Apple . I have learned while working at Honda with recalls is they don't let it get out of hand because they do relatively silent/consistent recalls so it doesn't get to the point that people need to buddy up to form class action lawsuits. Correct me if I'm wrong, as my knowledge for honda products dates for 5 years. 

So why are we praising them exactly? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Because they are doing what they should be even if it did take a while. Given tech companies these days who would rather sweep things under the rug than acknowledging their product has a problem, it's something 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Because they are doing what they should be even if it did take a while. Given tech companies these days who would rather sweep things under the rug than acknowledging their product has a problem, it's something 

Probably, but it's like the faintest of praises. 

As in you're basically telling them "You should've done that before it got this bad, but at least you did it now", whilst some other companies who'd go above and beyond to ensure that this gets sorted (such as Peak Design recalling their v3 Anchors after only 7 were found to prematurely wear) do deserve worthy praise. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

It's good, but we shouldn't clap too loudly.  It's something the company should've acknowledged a while ago, and the public statement doesn't admit that it's a widespread defect or promise free repairs.  I know why it's not admitting that there's a defect (imagine a hundred more class action lawsuits)... still, that doesn't change that we had to learn through a leak.

It's funny -- people blast Apple for its MacBook keyboard mess (and rightly so), but at least it did institute a formal repair program and started prioritizing those repairs.  I wish Nintendo would follow suit.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

It's good, but we shouldn't clap too loudly.  It's something the company should've acknowledged a while ago, and the public statement doesn't admit that it's a widespread defect or promise free repairs.  I know why it's not admitting that there's a defect (imagine a hundred more class action lawsuits)... still, that doesn't change that we had to learn through a leak.

It's funny -- people blast Apple for its MacBook keyboard mess (and rightly so), but at least it did institute a formal repair program and started prioritizing those repairs.  I wish Nintendo would follow suit.

Didn't it take Apple three generations of the butterfly keyboard for them to actually do that, though?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Just now, GilmourD said:

Didn't it take Apple three generations of the butterfly keyboard for them to actually do that, though?

Yes, it did, and I'm not dismissing that.  The point is that when it did take action, it formally recognized that there was a significant problem and publicly promised free repairs.  Nintendo's acting slighly faster, but has yet to publicly admit things.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Yes, it did, and I'm not dismissing that.  The point is that when it did take action, it formally recognized that there was a significant problem and publicly promised free repairs.  Nintendo's acting slighly faster, but has yet to publicly admit things.

Having worked in corporate environments... Simple things often take much longer than they should simply because of how many people end up involved.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

14 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The problem isn't recent, its been noted since not long after the Switch's launch.

There's also a certain number of controllers that would fail just a matter of manufacturing process and QA. The issue the problem might have been notable around launch, but if it was within the expected fault-tolerance range, it was just one of the expected problems. However, if over time the problem becomes "common" (around 3% of units), then it becomes a much larger issue for the company because two random buyers can interact that have the issue. Once that happens, it starts creating Network Effects that allow more to associate with the issue.

So, my point still stands. There's a good chance it wasn't outside of the expected failure rate until we got about a year after a specific batch that simply failed at a higher rate. It's not fun when that type of problem happens to you, but it's the nature of any design & manufacturing process. It's not Red Ring of Death levels of bad, though.

15 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

But didn't they allow quick fixes when it arose during the launch? I remember the fix was some sort of cotton pad to the wireless receiver to avoid conflict. I'm guessing this time they will outright send out a new one to anyone who calls with the updated controllers.

13 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Because they haven't told us that we're holding our Joycons wrong.

This still leaves a lot of concern with the Switch Lite. Are they finally acknowledging and fixing the design or just using this as a band-aid for the situation? This drift issue has been a thing since the device launched so this leaves me just as concerned as before the news broke out that they'd fix affected units.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

13 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Because it's Nintendo. Really no other answer to it. If Microsoft or Sony were trapped in the same situation, everyone would shit on them even if they addressed the issue pretty quickly.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I am reading that this is not for European customers.

This is from Nintendo UK but I'd imagine it's the same across Europe, based on what I've heard from other people.

Now lets hope that they get this issue fixed before the Switch Lite comes out because its non detachable Joycons would mean sending the entire console back unfortunately. 

Damn, and some companies would've just told you that you held it wrong.