Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchy Dragon

General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Welcome to the X99 Xeon/i7 thread!

Think of the older X58 Xeon/i7 thread for some context as to what this one is for.


If you don't want to click links, this is essentially a megathread for discussing Intel X99 hardware.

This is mostly run by me and @Zando Bob(a major perpetrator of the X58 thread).

 

Feel free to discuss the platform, ask questions, get advice, post deals, and show off your X99 systems!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great to see there's now an X99 discussion thread :) 

I plan to set up a 5820K test bench soon, so I'll make sure to post some pictures and benchmarks when I can.


If you're replying to someone then quote/tag them, otherwise they won't see your response.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier ListX99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

 

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy S7 (G930F)

CPU: Exynos 8890

RAM: 4GB

GPU: Mali-T880 MP12

Storage: 32GB (internal storage) + 128GB (Samsung microSD card)

Mobile provider: Vodafone + Cell C

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I'll kick off the discussion with my modded PowerMac X99 rig, the build log of which you can view here.

 

I've been really happy with X99 so far.

I think my next plan is to upgrade the CPU, possibly to an i7-5960X or Xeon equivalent, whichever is cheaper at the time I decide to spend more money on this machine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, XR6 said:

It's great to see there's now an X99 discussion thread :) 

I plan to set up a 5820K test bench soon, so I'll make sure to post some pictures and benchmarks when I can.

That'd be awesome! The 5820K is a really solid CPU, it performs about the same as a Ryzen 5 1600.

 

Other than more room for expansion on X99 over AM4, most X99 boards also support ThunderBolt 2 add-in cards for all the I/O. A lot of the lower end Xeons are pretty cheap too, I would recommend looking for the 5820K's Xeon cousin first, and then compare the prices and features.

 

I forget if the i7s support ECC, but I know a lot, if not all of, the X99 boards support it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awwww hell yeah! This weekend I should get my rig cleaned up all nice and pretty and snap some pics. May even finally move my custom loop over into it. Right now I'm running a 5820K at 1.32v, 4.4Ghz, on a Noctua NH-D15S. Have 32GB DDR4 3200 in quad channel, run it with a 1660 Ti right now (I'm only on 1080p and it runs a lot cooler and quieter than my RVII, lol), and a 960 Evo and WD Blue M.2 drives in a PCIe card. Full specs should be in my sig, just updated it today. 

 

Here's an older build with my RVII and in an Air 540, the no-frills looks of the X99 Classified is 👌

Spoiler

IMG_0081.thumb.JPG.5386ae11de97f50fc41ece3adc3ae55d.JPG

 

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'll kick off the discussion with my modded PowerMac X99 rig, the build log of which you can view here.

 

I've been really happy with X99 so far.

I think my next plan is to upgrade the CPU, possibly to an i7-5960X or Xeon equivalent, whichever is cheaper at the time I decide to spend more money on this machine.

 

Same here, the 5960X is perpetually on my mental wishlist. That or a 6950X, you lose a good chunk of OC headroom but you get that epic 10c/12t.

2 minutes ago, XR6 said:

It's great to see there's now an X99 discussion thread :) 

I plan to set up a 5820K test bench soon, so I'll make sure to post some pictures and benchmarks when I can.

Highly recommend it, my 5820K is pretty dang good so far. It's just hot, I can't push any more voltage than 1.32v or so before it starts hitting the mid to high 90s in Prime95. 


X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

 

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Zando Bob said:

 run it with a 1660 Ti right now

I mentioned this in my build log, but I could have gone with a 1660Ti. The catch was my 1070 was 20% better for the same price :P

 

I'm curious, can you actually fit a GPU in the top x16 slot, or is the cooler just too big? I have 0.5cm between the back of my GPU and my CPU heatsink.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I mentioned this in my build log, but I could have gone with a 1660Ti. The catch was my 1070 was 20% better for the same price :P

 

I'm curious, can you actually fit a GPU in the top x16 slot, or is the cooler just too big? I have 0.5cm between the back of my GPU and my CPU heatsink.

I can't, it's placed too close to the CPU socket on that motherboard, I'd need my GPUs at a hella jank angle, breaking both the GPU and the PCIe slot over time. 

 

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That'd be awesome! The 5820K is a really solid CPU, it performs about the same as a Ryzen 5 1600.

 

Other than more room for expansion on X99 over AM4, most X99 boards also support ThunderBolt 2 add-in cards for all the I/O. A lot of the lower end Xeons are pretty cheap too, I would recommend looking for the 5820K's Xeon cousin first, and then compare the prices and features.

 

I forget if the i7s support ECC, but I know a lot, if not all of, the X99 boards support it.

Ooooo forgot about the TB2 cards and yus the X99 xeons are epic. I've seen some 12-14c lads for not much at all given what they are. With lower GPU and RAM prices now, you could build a 12+ core, quad channel RAM, Vega 56 or 64 rendering box for not too much at all. 


X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

 

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Zando Bob said:

I can't, it's placed too close to the CPU socket on that motherboard, I'd need my GPUs at a hella jank angle, breaking both the GPU and the PCIe slot over time.

ooooof. That both sucks and is hilarious at the same time.

 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Ooooo forgot about the TB2 cards and yus the X99 xeons are epic. I've seen some 12-14c lads for not much at all given what they are. With lower GPU and RAM prices now, you could build a 12+ core, quad channel RAM, Vega 56 or 64 rendering box for not too much at all. 

Don't tempt me, I've already spent enough money and time on X99 as it is...

 

My next project will probably be a router, just need to finalize a budget and parts list. It's a bit tricky due to the need for a modem and the placement of my current network hub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Prior to switching to a new platform I had attempted to install a Intel Xeon E5-2698v3 into my MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard as a preliminary test prior to putting it in my new Supermicro MBD-X10DRI-T. Something that extreme went about as well as you might expect it.

 

It didn't, lol. BSOD city.

 

Strangest thing is after I pulled it and put the old CPU back in all of a sudden my boot times went from about 20 secs to well over 2 mins. It would just hang on a black screen forever before suddenly responding again and continuing with boot. Something changed and my motherboard hated it. Had to reset CMOS. Seemed to fix the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Prior to switching to a new platform I had attempted to install a Intel Xeon E5-2698v3 into my MSI X99A SLI PLUS motherboard as a preliminary test prior to putting it in my new Supermicro MBD-X10DRI-T. Something that extreme went about as well as you might expect it.

 

It didn't, lol. BSOD city.

 

Strangest thing is after I pulled it and put the old CPU back in all of a sudden my boot times went from about 20 secs to well over 2 mins. It would just hang on a black screen forever before suddenly responding again and continuing with boot. Something changed and my motherboard hated it. Had to reset CMOS. Seemed to fix the issue.

Interesting. I've never known motherboards to hang up on things like that, especially if the BIOS is supported.

 

That's almost the equivalent of turning Windows on and off to fix a software issue xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

ooooof. That both sucks and is hilarious at the same time.

 

Don't tempt me, I've already spent enough money and time on X99 as it is...

 

My next project will probably be a router, just need to finalize a budget and parts list. It's a bit tricky due to the need for a modem and the placement of my current network hub.

If I rendered I'd be tempting myself, I have extra cases and an X99 Micro 2 lying around...

 

also speaking of the 5960X, if anyone wants to cut one open for science I can dig mine out and eventually slap it in the mail. Doesn't work, had 0 luck getting it to boot in my X99 Classy but my 5820K is fine (the 5960X didn't even heat up like CPUs without a cooler should) so I'm pretty confident it's dead. It's a very solid and pretty paperweight though. 


X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

 

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

also speaking of the 5960X, if anyone wants to cut one open for science I can dig mine out and eventually slap it in the mail. Doesn't work, had 0 luck getting it to boot in my X99 Classy but my 5820K is fine (the 5960X didn't even heat up like CPUs without a cooler should) so I'm pretty confident it's dead. It's a very solid and pretty paperweight though. 

The keychain to end all keychains...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Same here, the 5960X is perpetually on my mental wishlist. That or a 6950X, you lose a good chunk of OC headroom but you get that epic 10c/12t. 

5960X has also been on my mental wishlist, I've wanted one since it got released.

It's still way too expensive, it goes for £400-500 ($500-620 USD) where I live. Maybe some day I will own one.

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Highly recommend it, my 5820K is pretty dang good so far. It's just hot, I can't push any more voltage than 1.32v or so before it starts hitting the mid to high 90s in Prime95. 

I'm definitely going to invest in a good cooler then. I think I'll go for air cooling, I'd rather not risk a leak. Noctua NH-D14/D15 and be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 are the most likely options right now.

13 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

 Right now I'm running a 5820K at 1.32v, 4.4Ghz, on a Noctua NH-D15S. Have 32GB DDR4 3200 in quad channel, run it with a 1660 Ti right now (I'm only on 1080p and it runs a lot cooler and quieter than my RVII, lol), and a 960 Evo and WD Blue M.2 drives in a PCIe card. Full specs should be in my sig, just updated it today.  

That's an awesome rig, it looks great :)


If you're replying to someone then quote/tag them, otherwise they won't see your response.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier ListX99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

 

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy S7 (G930F)

CPU: Exynos 8890

RAM: 4GB

GPU: Mali-T880 MP12

Storage: 32GB (internal storage) + 128GB (Samsung microSD card)

Mobile provider: Vodafone + Cell C

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting. I've never known motherboards to hang up on things like that, especially if the BIOS is supported.

 

That's almost the equivalent of turning Windows on and off to fix a software issue xD

Need to figure out what's up with my HDDs, with them all plugged in Windows can't see them and the PC takes 5-10 minutes to boot, whereas with them unplugged I'm sitting at the login screen in 5 seconds flat. 

 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The keychain to end all keychains...

Please no, my keychain is massive already. I'd probably get arrested for carrying around what's basically a very short morning star (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_star_(weapon)) if I put it on a lanyard too. X99 lads are satisfyingly chunky CPUs, even more so than my beloved X58 lads. 


X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

 

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

X99 lads are satisfyingly chunky CPUs, even more so than my beloved X58 lads. 

I think it's pretty neat how LGA 2011 chips are actually rectangular, not a lot of people realize that. I think the heatspreaders help avoid bringing attention to that, I didn't know they were rectangular until handling one personally, even with all the videos Linus and other people have made with them.

 

Kind of neat. X58 was never an interesting shape. Triangle CPUs when?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think it's pretty neat how LGA 2011 chips are actually rectangular, not a lot of people realize that. I think the heatspreaders help avoid bringing attention to that, I didn't know they were rectangular until handling one personally, even with all the videos Linus and other people have made with them.

 

Kind of neat. X58 was never an interesting shape. Triangle CPUs when?

Ikr? Both Intel and Nvidia keep giving us more of these "cores" instead of innovating in CPU geometry smh. 


X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

 

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ikr? Both Intel and Nvidia keep giving us more of these "cores" instead of innovating in CPU geometry smh. 

Geometry is really not that important tbh. I mean, did you notice that all CPUs have the same old silver heat spreader? Why aren't they colored? Maybe even print little pictures on them. I think that is what should be focused on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ikr? Both Intel and Nvidia keep giving us more of these "cores" instead of innovating in CPU geometry smh. 

Guy in Discord server suggested circle, with screw in mounting.

 

Think Iron Man's arc reactor, with the big hole in the board that you screw the CPU into.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting. I've never known motherboards to hang up on things like that, especially if the BIOS is supported.

 

That's almost the equivalent of turning Windows on and off to fix a software issue xD

It was so bizarre to me though it's always my luck to be stuck with all the issues other people never have. Now I just need to wait and save up the cash for more RAM since this X99 server platform with 2x 2698v3's supports 64GB DIMMs:

IMAG0372.thumb.jpg.c2d2e1d143aa64c8de66228d211b070e.jpg

128GB of RAM right there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Senzelian said:

Maybe even print little pictures on them.

Ultimate Meme PC

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Maybe even print little pictures on them.

inb4 dbrand makes CPU skins


If you're replying to someone then quote/tag them, otherwise they won't see your response.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier ListX99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

 

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy S7 (G930F)

CPU: Exynos 8890

RAM: 4GB

GPU: Mali-T880 MP12

Storage: 32GB (internal storage) + 128GB (Samsung microSD card)

Mobile provider: Vodafone + Cell C

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

It was so bizarre to me though it's always my luck to be stuck with all the issues other people never have. Now I just need to wait and save up the cash for more RAM since this X99 server platform with 2x 2698v3's supports 64GB DIMMs:

IMAG0372.thumb.jpg.c2d2e1d143aa64c8de66228d211b070e.jpg

128GB of RAM right there.

Spoiler

image.png.de38ef12437dab17995c1c1c4dd023d7.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Windows7ge said:

Do you want a picture of the inside of the server?

YE- ahem. Yes, please :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

YE- ahem. Yes, please :)

Getting the whole thing in frame was kind of annoying and I'm no photographer.

IMAG0487.thumb.jpg.22765bcba6fb2f46079ad30d7886b577.jpg

I put heatsinks on the RAM.

 

Here's a view from the front. It's a 4U chassis. You can ignore the bottom server.

IMAG0488.thumb.jpg.f276de7a0dfbbfcc5355332c8bc54fa4.jpg

 

And of course. All those beautiful threads:

65346044_Screenshotfrom2019-07-2318-54-03.png.df7a365708ceb3ab8d91788731918fcd.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×