3600 vs 3700x?

Good day! 

I’m planning to upgrade my CPU/Mobo and can’t decide which one to choose. I’m currently using R5 1600 + MSI B350M Bazooka.

I’m mostly playing games and streaming once in a while. I’m using NVENC when streaming. Most of the reviews I watched on youtube said that 3700x is better for streaming, is that still the case when you’re using NVENC for encoding? I also always run discord in the background? Will the 3700x be better with multitasking? (ie. Game + discord + streaming(NVENC Encoder)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: MSI B350M Bazooka, ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming-Plus

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB Aero ITX OC, MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Ram: Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3000mhz DDR4

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 650W 80+ Bronze, Corsair RM750x

Storage:

• Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Boot Drive)

• Samsung 860 Evo 500GB (Steam Library)

• Western Digital Blue 1TB (Anything Library)

Cooling: Hyper 212X, NZXT X72

Case: Silencio 352, MasterBox 5 White (Mesh)

I had a 2700x and sold it because I was planning on buying a 3900x but it wasnt available on day one here so I "settled" for a 3600 which I was just gonna use in the mean time but its been such a solid chip im in no hurry to upgrade, I have yet to run into a situation it didnt handle like a champ

I went with the 3600 because I didn’t see a big difference in game benchmarks and it’s $129 cheaper. I’d rather save that and use it towards the next upgrade 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

if youre streaming with nvenc get the 3600

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

From what I have seen the advantage of the 3700 is it has a few more cores and actually runs a little more efficient. But the 3600 wins for performance per dollar. Check the new bios releases for your current mobo, it might support gen 3 with a bios update. With the money you save you could get a 3900x instead. It might be a bit iffy on that board but it will probably be ok if you don't try to overclock it. If you don't get a new X570 board with the new cpu you are going to have to update the bios regardless. Heck, even with a new x570 your probably going to have to do it at some point because I am sure they will be releasing new versions since the current ones seem a bit buggy.

1 hour ago, KingBoodah said:

Im in the same boat as you. I was told the best bang was 3600 + nvidia gpu nvenc streaming

I know right? What are you planning on buying?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: MSI B350M Bazooka, ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming-Plus

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB Aero ITX OC, MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Ram: Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3000mhz DDR4

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 650W 80+ Bronze, Corsair RM750x

Storage:

• Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Boot Drive)

• Samsung 860 Evo 500GB (Steam Library)

• Western Digital Blue 1TB (Anything Library)

Cooling: Hyper 212X, NZXT X72

Case: Silencio 352, MasterBox 5 White (Mesh)

1 minute ago, Marfe said:

I know right? What are you planning on buying?

I plan on getting the 3600 and pair it with a good motherboard. Im still shopping around. I want to be able to run fast ram (such at 3600mhz or 4000mhz) but im reading that it depended on the memory controller in the CPU.

As I understand it (I don't stream), NVENC streaming is very good quality on the Turing cards and doesn't use your CPU meaningfully at all. Or use the GPU for that matter, it's a separate hardware encoder on the GPU itself.

Likewise, 3600 is definitely good enough for mulitasking like gaming/discord/streaming on NVENC, and a whole lot more besides.  With SMT enabled you have a whole lot of CPU threads to throw around for multitasking purposes.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M