Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marfe

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon VS ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus

Posted · Original PosterOP

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon + 3700X = ¥63,482($588.34)

ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus + 3700X = ¥65,102($603.36)

I live in Japan and yes, these prices are insane. I’m currently using a  Ryzen 5 1600 + MSI B350m Bazooka so flashing the X470 bios is no problem. Just want to know your thoughts about the two motherboards. I most probably not use the PCIE 4.0 and I’m only using a RTX 2070(OG). I want to overclock the chip as much as I can. I’m using a 360 AIO. My main concern is the longevity of the VRMs. So what are your thoughts about these two boards?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: MSI B350M Bazooka, ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming-Plus

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB Aero ITX OC, MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Ram: Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3000mhz DDR4

PSU: Antec Neo Eco 650W 80+ Bronze, Corsair RM750x

Storage:

• Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Boot Drive)

• Samsung 860 Evo 500GB (Steam Library)

• Western Digital Blue 1TB (Anything Library)

Cooling: Hyper 212X, NZXT X72

Case: Silencio 352, MasterBox 5 White (Mesh)

For the moment, I'd simply recommend using your current motherboard first, it's not much but it might surprise you. The SOC VRM is the only part without a heat sink and that doesn't matter when you're only pushing core frequency, so give it a whirl before getting a new motherboard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained

Those two boards are good, they are well featured for the price you will pay them. Get the board you like the most, but i'd get the Asus just because of the UEFI but thats me.

I don't think the B350 Tomahawk will overclock well the 3700X, the VRM seem to be weak.

30 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

For the moment, I'd simply recommend using your current motherboard first, it's not much but it might surprise you. The SOC VRM is the only part without a heat sink and that doesn't matter when you're only pushing core frequency, so give it a whirl before getting a new motherboard.

Thank you for your reply. I doubt the B350m Bazooka can handle a 3700X :(

19 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Those two boards are good, they are well featured for the price you will pay them. Get the board you like the most, but i'd get the Asus just because of the UEFI but thats me.

I don't think the B350 Tomahawk will overclock well the 3700X, the VRM seem to be weak.

I’m also leaning towards the ASUS one. But I’m still waiting for other feedback. Thank you for your input.

Storage:

5 minutes ago, Marfe said:

Thank you for your reply. I doubt the B350m Bazooka can handle a 3700X :(

Why wouldn't it though? Not like it couldn't handle the old 8 cores like the 1700x and 2700x. And, new Ryzen is more power efficient too.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained

41 minutes ago, Marfe said:

I live in Japan and yes, these prices are insane. 

No they are not. We have almost the same prices in the EU.

ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus + 3700X = 580€ ( ¥ 70,186)

get the X570. Do this if you want to avoid potential headaches

I have 2 new ryzen systems a 3600x and 3700x on b450 pro carbon ac motherboards. Both computers are rock solid and perform very well when booted...however, it requires me to push the power button, then the power reset button for the computers to boot. This is on both computers. Many people have also had a hard time flashing the bios to the new bios that is compatible with ryzen 3000. I didn't have that problem with the bios update, but you don't need the headaches. Hopefully, MSI will update their bios soon and fix all these issues. Also, shame on all the hardware reviewers for recommending MSI b450, x470 without warning people to wait a few months first so that MSI can get their sh!t together

My assumption is that it will be similar with the MSI x470 boards

If I was going to do it over again, I would buy X570 without a doubt

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

18 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Why wouldn't it though? Not like it couldn't handle the old 8 cores like the 1700x and 2700x. And, new Ryzen is more power efficient too.

Because it as 4 power phases, it will probably handle the 3700X on stock speed with a good cooler, since he want to OC it as much as he can, he will probably end up having an unstable overclock or have to raise voltage because the CPU will draw too much current to keep the voltage at a decent level. I've had a hard time keeping my 2400G OCed with a B450 DS3H board because of the bad VRMs, Now it's stable on the Crosshair VII with lower voltage then on the DS3H just because the VRM can hanlde the current draw. The B350M Bazooka as a VRM that look like the DS3H so i wonder how it can keep up with a 3700X

22 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

The B350M Bazooka as a VRM that look like the DS3H so i wonder how it can keep up with a 3700X

It has the same amount of power phases but much higher current phases. The low end Gigabyte boards usually use very low current vrm solutions

But yeah, for pushing a high OC it's not quite what to look for.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

6 hours ago, Tom H said:

get the X570. Do this if you want to avoid potential headaches

I have 2 new ryzen systems a 3600x and 3700x on b450 pro carbon ac motherboards. Both computers are rock solid and perform very well when booted...however, it requires me to push the power button, then the power reset button for the computers to boot. This is on both computers. Many people have also had a hard time flashing the bios to the new bios that is compatible with ryzen 3000. I didn't have that problem with the bios update, but you don't need the headaches. Hopefully, MSI will update their bios soon and fix all these issues. Also, shame on all the hardware reviewers for recommending MSI b450, x470 without warning people to wait a few months first so that MSI can get their sh!t together

My assumption is that it will be similar with the MSI x470 boards

If I was going to do it over again, I would buy X570 without a doubt

Which do you think has a better overclocking capability?

5 hours ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Because it as 4 power phases, it will probably handle the 3700X on stock speed with a good cooler, since he want to OC it as much as he can, he will probably end up having an unstable overclock or have to raise voltage because the CPU will draw too much current to keep the voltage at a decent level. I've had a hard time keeping my 2400G OCed with a B450 DS3H board because of the bad VRMs, Now it's stable on the Crosshair VII with lower voltage then on the DS3H just because the VRM can hanlde the current draw. The B350M Bazooka as a VRM that look like the DS3H so i wonder how it can keep up with a 3700X

Which do you think has a better overclocking capability?

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

It has the same amount of power phases but much higher current phases. The low end Gigabyte boards usually use very low current vrm solutions

But yeah, for pushing a high OC it's not quite what to look for.

I’m sorry if I’m being rude. I appreciate that you’re suggesting to use my old motherboard to save some money but I’m repurposing my old pc for my friend. I just want to know which of the two has a better overclocking capability.

Storage:

Off the suggestion you made, BOTH have very good overclocking capabilities, they will BOTH handle anything you will ask them to do (VRM wise), you can even put an LN2 pot on the 3700X, the light in your house will start to fade out before the VRMs get hot. Just choose which boards you prefer in those two, the features you like the most between those two. The both have very good VRMs, it's not even a VRM battle it's a feature battle.

So to answer you question, The X470 Pro carbon as 10 power phases, the X570 Tuf Gaming Plus as 12 power phases, which is the most stable at overclocing i don't know, they probably both do very good. There is no review out there on extreme OC with the X570 Tuf Gaming Plus but it's probably good. I know for sure the X470 Pro Carbon is very popular for OCing and Buildzoid said he used the Pro Carbon to do his Memory overlocking tests, so i guess thats something to consider.

I know i'm not pointing a particular board, thats because they both are probably very good. Like i said choose with the features you like the most, looking at buildzoid reviews of both boards may help more then i can.