Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Molesy

failed to POST wit more than 1 memory stick

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey Guys,

 

I have a Asus X99 Deluxe  with a i7 5960X i upgraded my BIOS to the latest version 4101 and after the update my system would not post. after which i removed all the memory and inserted only 1 ram stiick. i was able to POST and boot into windows. but if i use more than one ram stick i get a boot loop where it wont even post. it gets stuck at random post codes. I have cleared CMOS re-seated all memeory but no luck. I tested each ram module by it self and it can boot. but the moment i connect more than 1 i cant boot anymore. 

 

I currently have the ram in slots A1,B1.C1 and D1 as per manual. 

 

I am using a corsair 8gb x4 2400Mhz memory. Everything was fine before the BIOS upgrade and i have done BIOS upgrade in the past without any issue on this system and many others. 

 

Any ideas what i could test or do so it can see all my memory again ?

 

Thanks ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try flashing an earlier BIOS back on.... why did you update the BIOS in the first place? was there something wrong?

 

Can have a look HERE


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

You could try flashing an earlier BIOS back on.... why did you update the BIOS in the first place? was there something wrong?

 

Can have a look HERE

That is how i did the update. I had the same issue last time i did the BIOS upgrade and a last time i tried a BIOS flashback it made no difference. I had to send the borad in for repair and then when i got it back it still did not work but i had to put in one ram stick at a time and it started working last time. So that is why i tried the same thing this time but no luck. 

 

I updated the BIOS due to it containing the CPU microcode update for intel security issues. and i was having a lan issue which was apparently fixed in one of the previous BIOS to the latest one. 

 

I was on  3505 and went to 3802 when i had the first issue and sent it in for repair and now i went from 3802 to 4101. I checked with asus service team here. even though 4101 is a beta BIOS it is a full stable BIOS it's only called beta due to the fact it wont be installed on any production MB as the X99 is discontinued.

 

With one stick the system seems stable and i dont have that lan issue anymore but 1 stick is just not enough ram :/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Molesy said:

That is how i did the update. I had the same issue last time i did the BIOS upgrade and a last time i tried a BIOS flashback it made no difference. I had to send the borad in for repair and then when i got it back it still did not work but i had to put in one ram stick at a time and it started working last time. So that is why i tried the same thing this time but no luck. 

 

I updated the BIOS due to it containing the CPU microcode update for intel security issues. and i was having a lan issue which was apparently fixed in one of the previous BIOS to the latest one. 

 

I was on  3505 and went to 3802 when i had the first issue and sent it in for repair and now i went from 3802 to 4101. I checked with asus service team here. even though 4101 is a beta BIOS it is a full stable BIOS it's only called beta due to the fact it wont be installed on any production MB as the X99 is discontinued.

 

With one stick the system seems stable and i dont have that lan issue anymore but 1 stick is just not enough ram :/ 

Damn, that's bad. Sorry I can't help you other than to say try another BIOS version. Hope you find something that works.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Damn, that's bad. Sorry I can't help you other than to say try another BIOS version. Hope you find something that works.

no problem. I am also checking with Asus here to see what they can do. I made sure they said they would support the beta bios before i flashed it. Might have to take it to the repair center again :/ hope not. As i think last time all they did was a rest via some pins that i dont know about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Really odd. Got it to start working after enabling the XMP toggle on the motherboard. really odd as that's is the same thing you do on normal mode by enabling XMP via BIOS instead of a physical button on the board. well hope it can last till the new intel 10th gen so i can upgrade to that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×