Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatUwant

My first build plan

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone. I'm planning my first build.

 

My current PC (Core i7-4790K + GeForce GTX 970) is 4 years old and it struggles a little bit when the population in game (Cities: Skylines) grows past a certain point. Also The acceleration of 2x and 4x is essentially the same as 1x. I'm in need of a more powerful setup.

 

The budget is €2500. Most likely I'll buy from European Amazon sites, since the offers from my local Finnish retailers are usually overpriced.

 

I'll keep using my old monitor (1440p) and peripherals. 

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€489.00 @ Caseking) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (€69.89 @ Aquatuning) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€209.90 @ ARLT) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€166.92 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€74.98 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card  (€1249.00 @ Alternate) 
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€79.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €2439.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-22 15:33 CEST+0200

 

(I picked a 250GB SSD on purpose. Storage capacity isn't going to be an issue.)

 

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Edited by whatUwant
Link to post
Share on other sites

As you will be using it for gaming only and the i9 9900k is the best option you have, I would stick with this build personally.

Your CPU alternative is Ryzen 9 3900x which is ever so slightly behind on gaming performance but obviously has the core count advantage so if you plan on any productivity workloads in the future, I would consider getting the 3900x.

That is really the only point worth mentioning here as every other part of the list is fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks.

Ryzen 3900 was under consideration but the game doesn't seem to be able to utilize all the threads (or so I've heard). 

 

My main concern was motherboard & cooler. I don't know if they work well with other components, or if I can get better deal by choosing cheaper alternatives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since i play skylines quite often, and don't experience the issues you are facing i'm wondering how much ram you have in your current machine?

Sure the cpu is a bit older, but its not absolete and should be able to run skylines with quite a few mods.

 

I am running a ryzen 1700 with 32gb of memory and a GTX 1080 and have no issues with skylines.

 

on topic.

I think if you're playing skylines and games like that, than the 2080TI might be a bit overkill.

Getting a 2080 (super) alone could save you 4 - 500 euro. Which you could spend elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

Since i play skylines quite often

Glad to hear from a C:S player! Thanks for the suggestion.

 

20 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

how much ram you have in your current machine?

Currently the RAM capacity is 16GB. 

20 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

 Sure the cpu is a bit older, but its not absolete and should be able to run skylines with quite a few mods.

IIRC CPU was quite busy during game. Task manager indicated usage close to 100%. 

20 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

I am running a ryzen 1700 with 32gb of memory and a GTX 1080 and have no issues with skylines.

What's your population?

20 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

I think if you're playing skylines and games like that, than the 2080TI might be a bit overkill. 

Getting a 2080 (super) alone could save you 4 - 500 euro.

I thought about going for 2080 super too. Its VRAM capacity is only 8GB. Will it be a problem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, I would stay with your current build but get a 2080 super instead. It's much cheaper, and 8gb of Vram really won't be an issue. Also get a gigabyte aorus pro mother board, those are really good motherboards compared to others. And though the h500 is a great case, it is known to have mediocre airflow, so please keep that in mind.


Just say @Boinbo if you need me! I'll be limited to GPU, CPU, general discussion, peripherals, and new builds and planning though. I'm a potato.

(New)System specs:

Hp Pavilion with Core i3 5010u

HD 5500 Graphics

15 inch 1080p Screen

SKU Number: M1Y2UA#ABA

BIOS (UEFI): Insyde F.81, 7/25/2016

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boinbo said:

OP, I would stay with your current build but get a 2080 super instead. It's much cheaper, and 8gb of Vram really won't be an issue. Also get a gigabyte aorus pro mother board, those are really good motherboards compared to others. And though the h500 is a great case, it is known to have mediocre airflow, so please keep that in mind.

Why when you can get far better value for money with Ryzen ?


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lee32uk said:

Why when you can get far better value for money with Ryzen ?

I do agree with you, but my reasoning was that the OP said his build was mainly for gaming. Ofc ryzen has better value, but it's up to him whether.he wants to do that. 


Just say @Boinbo if you need me! I'll be limited to GPU, CPU, general discussion, peripherals, and new builds and planning though. I'm a potato.

(New)System specs:

Hp Pavilion with Core i3 5010u

HD 5500 Graphics

15 inch 1080p Screen

SKU Number: M1Y2UA#ABA

BIOS (UEFI): Insyde F.81, 7/25/2016

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boinbo said:

I do agree with you, but my reasoning was that the OP said his build was mainly for gaming. Ofc ryzen has better value, but it's up to him whether.he wants to do that. 

The only advantage with Intel is at 1080p high refresh rate gaming. At 1440p/4K there is less of a gap (Virtually none at 4K). As he mentioned playing Cities Skylines then you don't need 144fps for that game anyway. Hopefully the op has more than a 1080p screen if considering a 2080 Super or 2080 ti.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
58 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Hmm I never really considered AMD. But their reviews are quite positive. It looks promising. Thanks for the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Hopefully the op has more than a 1080p screen if considering a 2080 Super or 2080 ti.

I have a 1440p display.

 

40 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

OP, I would stay with your current build but get a 2080 super instead. It's much cheaper, and 8gb of Vram really won't be an issue. Also get a gigabyte aorus pro mother board, those are really good motherboards compared to others. And though the h500 is a great case, it is known to have mediocre airflow, so please keep that in mind.

I didn't know about the airflow issue. Thanks for pointing that out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, whatUwant said:

Stick with the 8 core if you are just gaming.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, whatUwant said:

What's your population?

Obviously this varies per game, but top game i have about 1,8mil pop.

Vram shouldn't be an issue, Vram only gets to be an issue at higher resolutions, and then i'm talking about 4k. 2080 super should be just fine at 1440. (or beta / early acces games with little optimization).

 

As stated above, Ryzen is a good alternative. Yes it is still a little less powerfull in terms of gaming compared to intell according to multiple benchmarks, but the price premium in my eyes is not worth going intel. This is however more of a personal choice currently. It is however more likely for AMD to continue the AM4 socket than it is for intel to continue their current socket over to their next generation chips.(likely, not guaranteed).

 

If going for a ryzen and only using the system for gaming, i would opt for a X470 board and not a X570. Once again in terms of pricing, the X470's generally offer more features at lower cost than the X570, and the benefits of having a X570 aren't needed for gaming. If you would do rendering and other workloads that require high throughput on disk drives it would be a logical choice.

 

I would suggest the following setup, in this i've chosen a 3700x because the 3800x doesn't offer much more for the price addition. the 3900x is a bit overkill on cores as most games won't utilize this (for now) and disabling 4 cores to benefit from the added cache it offers will be an enthusiast thing.

I have chosen 2 kits of 2x8 simply because i couldn't find a 32 kit. And these should be B-Die chips.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, whatUwant said:

....

Go with this, you wouldn't regret...

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Alternate) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€231.42 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€97.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€105.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  (€419.00 @ ARLT) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€79.99 @ Corsair DE) 
Total: €1368.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 09:58 CEST+0200


PRIMARY PC

Ryzen 5 2600 - ASRock B450 Pro4 - G.Skill Trident Z (8x2 3000MHz) - Intel 660p Series 512GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB - MSI GeForce GTX980Ti LIGHTNING - NZXT H500i - Super Flower Leadex ll Gold 650 Watt

 

SECONDARY PC

Xeon X5680 - Asus SABERTOOTH X58 - Crucial (4x2 1333MHz) - Crucial BX500 480GB - MSI RX 570 GAMING X - Cougar MX330 - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 Watt

 

LAPTOP

Acer Nitro 5 - 7300HQ - 8GB DDR4 2133MHz - GTX 1050Ti - Intel 600p Series 256GB - Seagate Barracuda TB

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Caennanu said:

 

Thanks.

I did the calculation again with prices from local retailers:

 

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor €349.00 @ Gigantti
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler €69.00 @ Mikromafia
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard €218.00 @ Tietokonekauppa
Memory G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €125.74 @ Proshop
Memory G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €125.74 @ Proshop
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card €686.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case €135.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €111.95 @ CDON
     
  Total (w/o shipping) €1822.41
Link to post
Share on other sites

Either of those builds will last you for 5+ years, providing you take care of the system.  The only upgrade I'd suggest is, to opt for a platinum rated power supply (and maybe increase the W to 700+, because you can).

 

Then, take care of your system:

- Monitor and sustain decent thermal performance, which is especially important if you overclock your CPU

- Re-apply thermal paste on a reoccurring basis

- Clean the case of dust and grime

- Remind yourself of how fortunate you are

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Caennanu said:

Obviously this varies per game, but top game i have about 1,8mil pop.

Vram shouldn't be an issue, Vram only gets to be an issue at higher resolutions, and then i'm talking about 4k. 2080 super should be just fine at 1440. (or beta / early acces games with little optimization).

 

As stated above, Ryzen is a good alternative. Yes it is still a little less powerfull in terms of gaming compared to intell according to multiple benchmarks, but the price premium in my eyes is not worth going intel. This is however more of a personal choice currently. It is however more likely for AMD to continue the AM4 socket than it is for intel to continue their current socket over to their next generation chips.(likely, not guaranteed).

 

If going for a ryzen and only using the system for gaming, i would opt for a X470 board and not a X570. Once again in terms of pricing, the X470's generally offer more features at lower cost than the X570, and the benefits of having a X570 aren't needed for gaming. If you would do rendering and other workloads that require high throughput on disk drives it would be a logical choice.

 

I would suggest the following setup, in this i've chosen a 3700x because the 3800x doesn't offer much more for the price addition. the 3900x is a bit overkill on cores as most games won't utilize this (for now) and disabling 4 cores to benefit from the added cache it offers will be an enthusiast thing.

I have chosen 2 kits of 2x8 simply because i couldn't find a 32 kit. And these should be B-Die chips.

 

I don't see the point of going with an X470 board if you are paying that much for one, when an entry level X570 isn't much more. Also that board would need a bios update to run that cpu. It makes more sense to go B450 if you are wanting a cheaper option than X570, and even then it isn't a smooth process even with bios flashback on something like a Tomahawk board. 

 

You don't need to buy expensive B die ram when you can get E die for a lot less, like the Crucial kit in my spec.

 

That psu has protection issues.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

See my post above.

 

3 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Go with this, you wouldn't regret...

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Alternate) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€231.42 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€97.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€105.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  (€419.00 @ ARLT) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€84.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€79.99 @ Corsair DE) 
Total: €1368.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 09:58 CEST+0200

How about this one??


PRIMARY PC

Ryzen 5 2600 - ASRock B450 Pro4 - G.Skill Trident Z (8x2 3000MHz) - Intel 660p Series 512GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB - MSI GeForce GTX980Ti LIGHTNING - NZXT H500i - Super Flower Leadex ll Gold 650 Watt

 

SECONDARY PC

Xeon X5680 - Asus SABERTOOTH X58 - Crucial (4x2 1333MHz) - Crucial BX500 480GB - MSI RX 570 GAMING X - Cougar MX330 - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 Watt

 

LAPTOP

Acer Nitro 5 - 7300HQ - 8GB DDR4 2133MHz - GTX 1050Ti - Intel 600p Series 256GB - Seagate Barracuda TB

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I don't see the point of going with an X470 board if you are paying that much for one, when an entry level X570 isn't much more. Also that board would need a bios update to run that cpu. It makes more sense to go B450 if you are wanting a cheaper option than X570, and even then it isn't a smooth process even with bios flashback on something like a Tomahawk board. 

 

You don't need to buy expensive B die ram when you can get E die for a lot less, like the Crucial kit in my spec.

 

That psu has protection issues.

No build is perfect, thats why we suggest things. Chose B-die simply from a quality / compatibility standpoint. It is a first build afterall

-- edit --> and yes flashing the bios could be an issue considering its a first build. So yeah, an X5 series might be the better option in terms of ease of installation.

 

If that PSU has protection issues, i'm surprised as i picked it from the psu tier list under budget (tier B)

 

7 minutes ago, whatUwant said:

Not sure if it's a mistake, but my local retailers have Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard priced at €218 and Gigabyte - X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard at €199. Seems like a no-brainer here.

That would seem as a nobrainer indeed. But when checking the following list, you will notice that the X570 board needs additional cooling or is borderline on the VRM's for overclocking a 3950x when it comes out, where the X470 wouldn't need that. So that entails the VRM's are stronger on the X470 than the X570.

In your case it wouldn't be an issue, with a 3700x, but it could limit your choices in the future if you want to grab a 2nd hand to lengthen your system's lifetime a bit

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

 

-- edit

The price difference between local retailers and pc part picker is indeed quite big. i cannot account for that unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×