Unraid Cache nvme recomendations

SweatyWhiteJedi

Here Linus says that the 660p is great as long as you use it for it's intended purposes. He specifically says it shouldn't be used as a cache. So my question is this, what should I use as a cache? 

I have a 10gbe connection to my home server and I run 2 250gb Samsung 860 evos in raid 0 as my cache at the moment.

So far it's been great however I want to replace them with something larger, maybe 2 1tb nvme drives so I can regain some sata power and data cables for spinning drives. 

But if I am going to that expense I might as well do it right. So what would you recommend? 

Are you looking for a write or read cache ?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

2 minutes ago, unijab said:

Are you looking for a write or read cache ?

Both I guess, my server uses the cache to run dockers like Plex for metadata and I have a share that is cache only for moving whatever steam game I am currently obsessed with over to it and it is also used for Sonar\Radar and importing files to the server. When the mover's invoked at night it moves what needs to be moved to the array. It could be writing all day if some new shows drop, or it could be doing nothing for a week. 

I have had a bad experience with an Adata nvme stick that overheated and died next to my 1080Ti in my gaming computer so I've learned to make cooling and reliable hardware a priority. 

For high write endurance... I like the 900p or 905p drives.

3 minutes ago, unijab said:

For high write endurance... I like the 900p or 905p drives.

Those seem awesome, but I'm looking to use m.2 with around 1tb capacities. I would like to either use 2 from a ryzen board when I upgrade in a few months or use something like the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07NQBQB6Z/?coliid=I1FIJ3LOONNSQG&colid=2M42WAC6LYENY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

so I can expand without taking up more than one pcie x16 slot. 

I have some gpu's and lsi cards that need the majority of my pcie slots. 

What about these? 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ny22FT/corsair-mp510-960gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-cssd-f960gbmp510

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pxKcCJ/crucial-p1-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ct1000p1ssd8

is all qlc flash bad or just intel's implementation of it? And if I am running 2 (or maybe 4) in raid 0 would I see any real performance difference from a 970 evo when I am limited to a gaming computer running one 970 evo with a 10gbe connection? 

About the 900p/905p:

You could either get the model that comes with m.2 cable.... or use the standard U.2 cable with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/U-2-M-2-Adapter-Interface-Drive/dp/B073WGN61Y/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=m.2+u.2+adapter&qid=1563804098&s=gateway&sr=8-4

1 hour ago, SweatyWhiteJedi said:

qlc flash bad 

When you plan to use it in a write intensive way.. the write endurance/ dwpd rating should be a factor