Is VR Really Worth it?

RadCazz

I remember purchasing a 3D TV back in 2010, I think.  The 3D was cool.  The glasses cumbersome.  Today, I just watch 2D movies and programming.

So, should I jump in and purchase a VR device for my pc?  Or will VR become a gimmick of the past, like 3D?  (I remember my PS3 had very few 3D games and now the PS4 has none, I believe.)

If I do dip into VR, what peripheral do you recommend?  Occulus or Hive?  Something else?

Please share your input.

Note:  I haven't completed my profile, but my Legion pc has enough USB inputs and the only thing I think I need to do is upgrade my graphics card (currently have a 1050Ti). 

Thanks! :)    

Depends on the person. Some people like it, some don't.

Check to see if there's a VR Arcade or something near you or in a nearby city you could go to to try it out.

As for the system, I'd personally go with an Oculus Rift S (https://amzn.to/2Obh8p1) mainly because of price ($399 instead of $499 for a HTC Vive (https://amzn.to/2Lz25mV))

The Rift S requires no external sensors (Vive requires 2), has great controllers, offers a 2560x1440 resolution (compared to 2160x1200), and includes built in headphones + a headphone jack for you to use your own with it. (whereas the Vive only includes the headphone jack).

Though on the Vive's side, it has an AMOLED display instead of LCD, so the colors are a bit nicer, and it has a 90Hz display instead of an 80Hz display. (Not that big of a difference, but it *might* be noticeable in VR)

The Rift S offers software based interpupillary distance adjustments, while the Vive offers physical adjustments.

Of course there's also the used market, though I wouldn't touch any of those headsets without giving them some heavy cleaning first.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've enjoyed Beat Saber a ton and its made it worth it for me. Other than that, there's not too many games that interest me but I've bought Pavlov VR recently but haven't tried it yet. My advice: check what games you could potentially see yourself playing long term and decide whether or not its worth it for you.

As for which device: I've tried both the original Oculus and Vive and enjoyed both quite a bit, so its up to you depending on games and support.

Of course, you'll want to upgrade your GPU to avoid the motion sickness as well

CPU Ryzen 7 3700x | Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E | RAM Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz | GPU EVGA 1070 FTW DT | CaseLian-Li O11 | Storage Corsair MP600 1 TB, Adata SU800 512 GB | PSU Corsair RM850X 850W | Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQ, MSI MAG24C | Cooling CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 360R

The Rift s is worth it to me but I have been a Skyrim modder since 2011. I will do over 1000 hours on that game alone.

For games like Elite I still need more resolution to make it worth while but with games that I can track objects at medium distances it is great.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Got my Vive when it dropped and never regretted it since day one. Now, the Rift S is my recommendation for a good VR experience without excessive cost, but if you've got money to waste, the Index is the way to go.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Vive is really cool. But you really have to play VR with the maximum hardware or looks awful.

You will constantly desire more power, because a lot of games will look pixelated and choppy framerates are unacceptable in VR

I have a CV1 Rift (not the current S) with the touch controllers and I love it. Especially now that I got a new PC I'm playing a lot. 

As someone said Beat Saber is absolutely awesome and I play that quite a bit (although the Rift seems to have an issue with the batteries becoming momentarily disconnected with fast big moves, but for a solution: https://imgur.com/a/QrfrZ). I've also got the Croteam bundle with all the Serious Sam games and they're awesome (it's great fun holding two guns in your hands and spraying hordes of monsters with bullets), and The Talos Principle VR which was also included I got a bit bored with the game itself but it was great to train myself in for full locomotion (moving with the analog stick), which I can now use without any issue.

Since upgrading my PC I'm playing loads of Fallout 4 VR which I absolutely love. In VR for some reason I am much more impressed with the detail of the world, I regularly find myself looking at a car or a lawnmower or something, or even just the rubble in an empty bookcase. It's also great to sneak into a room and use 'Deliverer' (a silenced pistol) to clear out a couple of bad guys, really gives that 'professional hitman' vibe :)

I'm still looking forward to picking up Skyrim VR, I still have ADR1FT, Detached and Doom VFR waiting for me, would like to pick Eagle Flight back up again as well as Dirt Rally and Robo Recall, Elite Dangerous if I ever build up the courage to learn how to play that game... and plenty that I haven't even looked at yet because I already have this list waiting for me.

But if it's for you? Well it really depends what games you like to play and if you think you'd really like the games that are available. For people that can withstand VR well and that have a broad taste in games there is plenty to play, but if you're more particular about your games you may find the games on offer to be a bit sparse.

As for which headset... if money is not an object and you don't mind mounting the lighthouse units in the room where you'll play then I'd say definitely the Valve Index. But it's expensive... If you want to cut costs then probably the Rift S, but the tracking on it is slightly less reliable.

The hardware you need really doesn't have to be that impressive. I have a Ryzen 2600 running at 4 GHz with a 1060 6GB myself. Sure, I'd like a beefier videocard, especially for Fallout 4 VR (it runs at 45 FPS usually, not the 90 you'd ideally want for the CV1's 90 Hz refreshrate), but in general it performs just fine and I'm really happy with my setup.

7 hours ago, RadCazz said:

I remember purchasing a 3D TV back in 2010, I think.  The 3D was cool.  The glasses cumbersome.  Today, I just watch 2D movies and programming.

So, should I jump in and purchase a VR device for my pc?  Or will VR become a gimmick of the past, like 3D?  (I remember my PS3 had very few 3D games and now the PS4 has none, I believe.)

If I do dip into VR, what peripheral do you recommend?  Occulus or Hive?  Something else?

Please share your input.

Note:  I haven't completed my profile, but my Legion pc has enough USB inputs and the only thing I think I need to do is upgrade my graphics card (currently have a 1050Ti). 

Thanks! :)    

The long answer is 'No, it's a niche within a niche, within a niche' the cost of the gear and the hardware needed to run it properly is still far to expensive and the amount of decent software is limited.

The short answer is 'Fuck NO!!!'

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

It'll depend who you ask to... there are some enthusiasts that will tell you it's worth all the investment and hassle.

Myself? Ain't one of those... VR is a waste of time :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

49 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

It'll depend who you ask to... there are some enthusiasts that will tell you it's worth all the investment and hassle.

Myself? Ain't one of those... VR is a waste of time :P

Partly agree, right now for me VR isn't worth it at all. I'm just waiting for that SAO/ Ready Player One VR to kick in.

The day that happens no ones ever seeing me again I'm too busy killing orcs and selling herb to hobbits.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

No. Hardware is meh and it's alot of money for a software ecosystem consisting of only a small handful of good games and ALOT of what are effectively tech demos.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Drak3... I guess VRs will be super cool in 10-15 years, when the games will be super realistic (graphics) as for now, it's something square' ish and very soapy blurry. 

Form was amazing... If you haven't tried Transpose yet, I would recommend trying it. Pairs really well...

I don't know if buying a VR is such a good idea, because I bought a VR, used it for like 4 months and got bored of it, now only use it if some friends come over.. so, if you never had one and want to try, maybe buy a used one and then update to newer one? because it might be a huge waist of money imho

I think that VR is not "ready" yet I hade a VR headset once it gets boring afterward Mabey if there was more games for it then that would be fun 

we recently got the rift s

if you have a system that can run it already, usb 3.0 is the biggest the rift s will max the 3.0 out power wise so if the mobo doesnt have a strong usb 3.0 you will need to get a add on card

if you have extra cash you can burn

and you dont mind dealing with crap software (games are fine its the actual software that need work)......... oculus and steam vr like to crash each other

its fun to use even for watching movies and shows

.you will be looking for upgrades for it, like controller extenders..some of the damn buttons are placed horrible, constantly pressing them accidentally which pulls you out of game

the foam part that forms around your eyes and head band..expect it to get soaked in sweat............if you wear glasses you have to wear them for the rift s or buy add on lenses that can be made for your prescription (this is actually sweet for 65 dollers)

the pluses are the price, not needing the external sensors, and very responsive

On 7/22/2019 at 7:18 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

The long answer is 'No, it's a niche within a niche, within a niche' the cost of the gear and the hardware needed to run it properly is still far to expensive and the amount of decent software is limited.

The short answer is 'Fuck NO!!!'

I have to agree with this.

The gear is very low quality and expensive for what you are getting. VR can try again when it has 120hz 8K per eyes. The current generation of equipment is half-HD resolution, blurry, headache-inducing and doesn't look convincing.

To that effect, the problem is that the software (eg Unity, Unreal, CryEngine) is just poor. Games aren't designed for stereoscopic video at all, because it quadruples the hardware requirements where a 60fps video is the minimum passable framerate for PC/Console games. We won't hit viable VR hardware until it's possible to do 8K at 240fps on the $300 GPU. Considering we can't do 4K at 120fps yet, that's still two generations of GPU hardware out.