Gigabit network

IgorM
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

No. It will only be as fast as the slowest connection point, in this case, the 100 Mbps connection on the router. 

This would not be true. If both Client & Server are connected to the 1Gig switch once the switch has filled it's forwarding table with the MAC addresses of both it will bypass the router and switch directly between the two at 1Gbit.

I currently have all my devices connected to my modem/router that's only 10/100 capable but I want to access my server that is gigabit capable using an access point or other gigabit computers on my local network. Does simply installing a gigabit switch and using it to connect my devices should give me gigabit speeds between client and server despite having a fast ethernet router? 

No. It will only be as fast as the slowest connection point, in this case, the 100 Mbps connection on the router. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This would not be true. If both Client & Server are connected to the 1Gig switch once the switch has filled it's forwarding table with the MAC addresses of both it will bypass the router and switch directly between the two at 1Gbit.

Only with devices that are connected to the 1gb switch will have 1gb connections.

So you hook your pc and server to the switch and the switch to the modem for internet / dhcp.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 7/22/2019 at 2:06 AM, Windows7ge said:

That's what I've imagined but wasn't sure, since after both of them discovered the MAC addresses of each other via ARP, they would use it to communicate on the network and the switch would handle it. Thanks for your help!