EXFAT performance issues on MacOS?

Let me briefly explain my situation:

I'm an IT intern at a consulting company but have recently crossed over extensively to the graphics department. I was given a Mac because of file path issues so our networked Premiere projects all map correctly. My video files are on an external drive formatted in EXFAT, which I formatted as such so it would work on both my Mac and my PC when I was using the latter for editing as well. I now only need to use my Mac for editing but am facing almost constant stutters playing back video in quicktime and freezes in Premiere that make it incredibly frustrating to work. Even Finder has crashed multiple times while searching for files forcing me to restart my Mac. I don't have the model currently but I know it's a USB 3.0 2TB drive. Is it likely that the file system is causing the issue? The other editors are using similar generic drives as well without problems, so my next step is to reformat the drive to HFS+ (I believe APFS is only for SSDs and flash memory) and see if that helps.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

49 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

My video files are on an external drive formatted in EXFAT

I don't have the model currently but I know it's a USB 3.0 2TB drive.

Without knowing the specifics of your drive or your colleges drives, I'm going to assume that the reason you are seeing poor performance is because of the read speed limitations of a 2TB USB 3.0 HDD. 

Which model Mac did they give you? If there the possibility of getting a Thunderbolt drive? 

so my next step is to reformat the drive to HFS+ (I believe APFS is only for SSDs and flash memory) and see if that helps.

Apple made optimizations to APFS that benefits SSDs the most, but there are benefits to HDDs as well. I would stick with HFS+ for compatibility reasons though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Without knowing the specifics of your drive or your colleges drives, I'm going to assume that the reason you are seeing poor performance is because of the read speed limitations of a 2TB USB 3.0 HDD. 

Which model Mac did they give you? If there the possibility of getting a Thunderbolt drive? 

Apple made optimizations to APFS that benefits SSDs the most, but there are benefits to HDDs as well. I would stick with HFS+ for compatibility reasons though. 

I just ran down to the graphics department and found the model of the drives they use. I was surprised to find that they are just USB 2.0 drives:

https://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-MiniStation-Portable-Drive-HD-PCF1-0U3BD/dp/B01NAOGL9D

None of the editors have any issues with performance using these drives. Read speed shouldn't be an issue in Quicktime for either drive since the playback is just sequential read and none of the files are especially high bitrate, unless mine is especially fragmented for whatever reason.

The Seagate drive I have is this: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV3000100/dp/B00834SJS0?th=1

I think I'm facing file corruption too though, I tried connecting the exFAT drive to my windows machine and it immediately prompted to repair the drive. My hope is that a different drive formatted in HFS+ will fix the issue, but until I can get a new copy of the files on a new drive I'm stuck, which is unfortunate for scheduling reasons.

Edit: Something is clearly wrong with this drive. I connected it to my Mac and opened a folder containing three files from a go pro. I tried to open one in quicktime and quicktime appeared in the dock but never actually opened, while finder was stuck with a spinning rainbow wheel. Eventually the drive disconnected itself and there is now a "drive not ejected properly" warning.

Edit 2: I ran a benchmark of the seagate drive on my windows machine and it has as sequential read of 174 MB/s and a sequential write of 183 MB/s, which is definitely faster than the USB 2.0 drives the other guys are using.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

I've found exFAT to never be as good as it's supposed to be.  I think, though, my problems with it were always on the windows side than the mac side....been a long time since I bothered with it.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

3 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I've found exFAT to never be as good as it's supposed to be.  I think, though, my problems with it were always on the windows side than the mac side....been a long time since I bothered with it.

Yep I'm hoping I can get an HFS+ formatted copy of the files in question soon, or figure out why they aren't using network drives for their media assets in the first place.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs: