Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eragorn

Drives (2x 8tb) aren't showing in explorer or disk management?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've tried different sata cables, different power cables (whatever those are called from the psu), restarting computer, shutting down, unplugging, etc. I also took the power and data cable from a working drive and plugged it into both the 8tb drives and still neither show in windows 10.

Both were working perfectly this morning... Now neither are showing and don't feel like they're spinning either anyway. What can I do? Note that earlier I did install a new cr2032 battery...

Images

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What happens if you plug them into a different computer?

I don't have another computer so don't know... 

2 minutes ago, Eragorn said:

I don't have another computer so don't know... 

Do you have any way to test if the drives are receiving power at all? Do you have a external dock? You could borrow a power cable from drives that are showing up properly.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you have any way to test if the drives are receiving power at all? Do you have a external dock? You could borrow a power cable from drives that are showing up properly.

Well see I removed the power and sata cables from the working drives and plugged them into the non working ones and nothing happened. 

14 minutes ago, Eragorn said:

Well see I removed the power and sata cables from the working drives and plugged them into the non working ones and nothing happened. 

You might possibly have two dead drives then if you have a known good cable and they don't spin-up at all. Are they still under warranty?

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You might possibly have two dead drives then if you have a known good cable and they don't spin-up at all. Are they still under warranty?

Ummm they are shucked EasyShare drives from best buy. I believe they're under a year but Idk tbh. 

41 minutes ago, Eragorn said:

shucked EasyShare

See here.

The linked mod will bypass PWDIS, which uses one of the 3.3V pins to spin up/down the drive (for management in a server). Obnoxiously, it's spin down on voltage high, so you need to block the pin on a standard SATA connector to have it work.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 5 1600X | Asus B350-F Strix | Corsair H80i V2 | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CAS-14 | Reference Nvidia GTX 770 2GB | Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB | Corsair CX650M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | Anidees AI-07BW Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Microsoft Modern Keyboard

FreeNAS Server (Veda): Core i3-4170 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 1x Samsung PM961 128GB / 1x Kingston SSD 16GB | Corsair CX430M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i LBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives)

Media Center (Jesta): Core i7-2600 | Asus H77M-PRO | Stock Cooler | 8GB No-name DDR3 | EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | Sandisk UltraII SSD 64GB / Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Asus Xonar Sound | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Kingston 120GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | (Still my favorite typing keyboard)

Tablet (ReGZ): Asus T102HA | Samsung EVO+ microSD 128GB

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M (?) | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | NZXT H230 Case

Camera: Sony A7II (w/ Meike Grip) | Sony SEL24240 | Sony SEL2870 | Sony SEL55F18F | PNY Elite Perfomance SDXC cards

12 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

See here.

The linked mod will bypass PWDIS, which uses one of the 3.3V pins to spin up/down the drive (for management in a server). Obnoxiously, it's spin down on voltage high, so you need to block the pin on a standard SATA connector to have it work.

Omg I think you're right and I just totally forgot to do that again. Most likely when I was doing work on my computer the piece I was using to cover that pin fell off. I think this is the answer. 😊