Samsung 2.5” 4TB EVO or QVO for Mass Storage???

FutaGrlAlicePA

I was curious if Samsung’s 4TB EVO or QVO 2.5” ssd would be better for mass storage in a SFF Portable Build.

thanks in advance:

AlicePA

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

evo is almost always better than qvo, but qvo is cheaper. Its up to use if the extra cost is worth it and it depends on what your using it for aswell. The QVO drives will struggle under heavly writes much more than the EVO.

QVO drives will lose a lot of performance when cache gets full. EVO drives have less of that problem, they are using TLC or MLC (as opposed to QLC). Less bits to write, hence faster.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Definitely get the EVO. The QVOs have far less life (not to mention a shorter warranty) and slow down dramatically as they approach 50% full. There isn't all that much difference in proce between the EVOs and the QVOs.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!