Old consoles?

The Great Kamek

meh, they are exactly the same as hdmi2ps2 from aliexpress just in a different package. Even if they really are somewhat better it won't be much of a difference as PS2 has just horrible picture quality (I mean the signal going out not the games), far worse than xbox classic or ps3 for example.  

Best option would be just DIYing a component cable for PS2, but honestly, I don't care enough as my TV has only a single component input used by Xbox and with hdmi switch box it's more convenient without much lose quality-wise.

Just picked up InFamous 2 for the PS3. Games for this thing are quite cheap, and thanks to the relative stratch resistance of Blu-Ray, it is a lot easier finding games in good condition than with the PS2. Even on the 4k tv, image quality in later games is good enough that it doesn't stand out any.

Just replaced the battery in my Game Boy Advance SP last week, which up to this point, was still on it's original battery as when I got it for Christmas of 2004. Quite astoundingly, the old battery still holds a charge, albeit only enough for about an hour with the front light.

My 3DS (the original model) also is in desperate need of a new battery as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Just picked up InFamous 2 for the PS3. Games for this thing are quite cheap, and thanks to the relative stratch resistance of Blu-Ray, it is a lot easier finding games in good condition than with the PS2. Even on the 4k tv, image quality in later games is good enough that it doesn't stand out any.

Just replaced the battery in my Game Boy Advance SP last week, which up to this point, was still on it's original battery as when I got it for Christmas of 2004. Quite astoundingly, the old battery still holds a charge, albeit only enough for about an hour with the front light.

My 3DS (the original model) also is in desperate need of a new battery as well.

Infamous is great, and the developers too

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
    Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x8)
  • GPU
    ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
    WD 1TB 7200RPM, WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • PSU
    CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I never get rid of anything video game related. I sold my PS2 when I was younger to buy a 2nd gen RX-7 and I still regret it. I also lost my NES and Genesis. So sad. But now I have:

PlayStation

PlayStation 2 Fat

PlayStation 3 Super Slim :( I need to pick up a Slim or FAT one of these days so I can mod it.

OG XBox

XBox 360 Fat

Dreamcast

Wii

Many are modded, either soft or hard with upgraded hard drives or drives they never had to begin with. I did the HD firmware flash to get a 500GB drive in my Fat 360 which was only offered in later revisions of the 360. 

Of course I also have the current, PS4, XBox One, and XBox One X. I also have a PlayStation TV for playing Vita games on the big screen.

When it comes to handhelds I have:

Game Gear

Game Boy Advance

PSP with CFW

Vita 3G OLED

I really want to buy some more older gen consoles and replace the NES and Genesis I used to have. Plus I want to get some systems like the Saturn. Problem is, I just don't have any more room for consoles. As it is I'm not sure where I will put the PS5 and next XBox when they come out lol.

9 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Yeah, I never get rid of anything video game related. I sold my PS2 when I was younger to buy a 2nd gen RX-7 and I still regret it. I also lost my NES and Genesis. So sad. But now I have:

PlayStation

PlayStation 2 Fat

PlayStation 3 Super Slim :( I need to pick up a Slim or FAT one of these days so I can mod it.

OG XBox

XBox 360 Fat

Dreamcast

Wii

Many are modded, either soft or hard with upgraded hard drives or drives they never had to begin with. I did the HD firmware flash to get a 500GB drive in my Fat 360 which was only offered in later revisions of the 360. 

Of course I also have the current, PS4, XBox One, and XBox One X. I also have a PlayStation TV for playing Vita games on the big screen.

When it comes to handhelds I have:

Game Gear

Game Boy Advance

PSP with CFW

Vita 3G OLED

I really want to buy some more older gen consoles and replace the NES and Genesis I used to have. Plus I want to get some systems like the Saturn. Problem is, I just don't have any more room for consoles. As it is I'm not sure where I will put the PS5 and next XBox when they come out lol.

honestly are they even worth buying them? I would not think so

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

What I have:

NES

SNES

N64

Gamecube

Wii

Wii-U

Switch

Ps2

Ps3

Ps4

Dreamcast

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One 

Xbox One X

Handhelds:

GBA

DS

3DS

PSP

1 hour ago, Majinhoju said:

What I have:

NES

SNES

N64

Gamecube

Wii

Wii-U

Switch

Ps2

Ps3

Ps4

Dreamcast

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One 

Xbox One X

Handhelds:

GBA

DS

3DS

PSP

Any of them you still play often?

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

10 minutes ago, The Great Kamek said:

Any of them you still play often?

Been a bit on and off.

I had to sell my crt TV so before then I would plug in my older consoles once in a while and would play Mario Kart Double Dash on gamecube with my kids.  I might look for a hdmi upscaler to give my older consoles some new life.  I sometimes play my classic Xbox once in a while for some amped 2.  My 360 not so much since Xbox One has backwards compatibility.  The Wii-U still gets played a fair bit in our house (my son loves Pikmin 3). I still need to get through the uncharted games so I'll hopefully start playing my ps3 again soon.

2 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Been a bit on and off.

I had to sell my crt TV so before then I would plug in my older consoles once in a while and would play Mario Kart Double Dash on gamecube with my kids.  I might look for a hdmi upscaler to give my older consoles some new life.  I sometimes play my classic Xbox once in a while for some amped 2.  My 360 not so much since Xbox One has backwards compatibility.  The Wii-U still gets played a fair bit in our house (my son loves Pikmin 3). I still need to get through the uncharted games so I'll hopefully start playing my ps3 again soon.

I still do with my ps3; I would like it if we play some games on there. Also, I used to play amped 3 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

4 hours ago, The Great Kamek said:

honestly are they even worth buying them? I would not think so

You mean the next gen consoles? Of course they are. it's apparent that they are going to be absolute beasts for consoles and we are looking at 4k 60 FPS. The PS5 like the PlayStations before it is likely to have a ton of great exclusives that you can't play anywhere else and they are going to look amazing. The XBox is likely to have a fair amount of exclusives this time around as well since they have been buying up studios like crazy, although you will also be able to play many of them on PC and maybe even the PS5 and Switch through streaming based on what I have been hearing. They will still look and play best on the XBox and PC though. Also,sometimes I just want to play on the XBox over PC, especially since all my achievements are there. Not to mention it sounds like it will play XBox, 360, and One games which is great even though I own the older consoles since some games get a performance and even visual boost. Also I can quickly capture cool things without having to mess with my capture card and PC.

Yes, I've kept all my old consoles and handhelds, but when I want to play a game for them nowadays it's always with emulation on my Linux PC. It's just an overall better experience.

Some of my newer handhelds:

Spoiler
9iy08d.JPG

1 hour ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

You mean the next gen consoles? Of course they are. it's apparent that they are going to be absolute beasts for consoles and we are looking at 4k 60 FPS. The PS5 like the PlayStations before it is likely to have a ton of great exclusives that you can't play anywhere else and they are going to look amazing. The XBox is likely to have a fair amount of exclusives this time around as well since they have been buying up studios like crazy, although you will also be able to play many of them on PC and maybe even the PS5 and Switch through streaming based on what I have been hearing. They will still look and play best on the XBox and PC though. Also,sometimes I just want to play on the XBox over PC, especially since all my achievements are there. Not to mention it sounds like it will play XBox, 360, and One games which is great even though I own the older consoles since some games get a performance and even visual boost. Also I can quickly capture cool things without having to mess with my capture card and PC.

Not for me at least. I don't enjoy games nowadays 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

1 hour ago, The Great Kamek said:

Not for me at least. I don't enjoy games nowadays 

Like at all or just not the new games? Do you only play old games?

15 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Like at all or just not the new games? Do you only play old games?

Well I own like 3 or 4 games from this era. Other than that, majority of them are old like before 2012

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

When I was a kid, we got a Nintendo 64. My father decided since we had the "new Nintendo" we didn't need the "old Nintendo". We never had a Super Nintendo so the old Nintendo was an original NES. He gave it to his friend who had two kids who didn't have any game consoles--they destroyed it.

Since then, I maintain a policy of NEVER getting rid of my consoles and when the time comes that some of them need repairs, I'm going to fix them.

So far, my collection includes a retron 5 for playing the oldest stuff, N64, GameCube, Wii U, PSOne, PS2, PS3, GameBoy Color, Advance, SP, DS, 3DS, New3DS, and PSP.

I also have a gaming PC (albeit a few years old), Switch, Xbox One, and PS4. I'm pretty big on my gaming! :D

Yep.

My current collection of consoles:

Gamecube

PS2 fat and slim

Wii

Wii U

Game Boy Advance

DSi

Launch 3DS model

Xbox

Xbox One S and X

PS4 Pro

Switch

Mini SNES

Use to have a PS3 fat and slim, Xbox 360, Game Boy Color, and Vita in the collection.  But, sold those off.  Personally, I would love to get a Dreamcast to add to the collection.  So many fond memories of that console (it was the first video game machine that I ever played a game online with.  It was mind blowing considering that was on old butt dail-up - want to talk about lag, o boy, ya don't know lag until you play PSO on dail-up and someone spams Gigafoie).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Yep.

My current collection of consoles:

Gamecube

PS2 fat and slim

Wii

Wii U

Game Boy Advance

DSi

Launch 3DS model

Xbox

Xbox One S and X

PS4 Pro

Switch

Mini SNES

Use to have a PS3 fat and slim, Xbox 360, Game Boy Color, and Vita in the collection.  But, sold those off.  Personally, I would love to get a Dreamcast to add to the collection.  So many fond memories of that console (it was the first video game machine that I ever played a game online with.  It was mind blowing considering that was on old butt dail-up - want to talk about lag, o boy, ya don't know lag until you play PSO on dail-up and someone spams Gigafoie).

sad to see them sold

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

I already had stated the consoles I currently own, but I'd like a DOL-001 GameCube so I could use the digital out port (I'd love an HDMI adapter), an SCPH-10000 or 15000 PS2 to play Japanese PS2 games, a Japanese Xbox 360 (probably another Slim) and a Sega Dreamcast. If only the official VGA adapter wasn't fucking expensive.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Been Nintendo + PC since forever given that, to be blunt, Nintendo is the only platform that offers something drastically different to PC. Especially since the start of the HD era. Over the last 15 years we've gone from a world where basically everything was exclusive to a world where basically everything is multi-plat. 

So, aside from old "gaming" PCs I still have....
- Gameboy

- Gameboy Color

- DS Lite

- 3DS

- 3DS XL

- SNES

- Wii

- Wii U

- Switch

I only have my Switch plugged and/or charged and ready to go ATM. Everything else is in a box. But I do have a SNES Mini plugged into my TV as well as the Steam Link app. Other than this, my TV is pretty much Switch only and will remain so for a while.

If you are wondering about the gaps, growing up my brother was more into Sony/Sega so he took those consoles:

- Sega Master System

- Playstation

- Playstation 2

and I guess for completeness on his side I guess technically my Niece has:

- GBA

- DS Lite

- 3DS

- Wii

- PS4

- Switch

On 8/9/2019 at 10:28 PM, The Great Kamek said:

Well I own like 3 or 4 games from this era. Other than that, majority of them are old like before 2012

Dude, you're just making anyone over 20 feel old.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing