iPhone X or 8 plus? Why?

So I'm making the switch from android to iOS and will be swapping my galaxy s10 for an iPhone for a number of reasons, mainly I want an apple watch and apple pay was the best payment method I've ever used. 

Which iPhone would you go for, the iPhone X or the iPhone 8 plus?

I have narrowed down my options to these two as I feel the xs is not a major upgrade over the x and the xs max is far too expensive considering the fact that I will be upgrading to the 2020 iPhone when that releases.

Please do not recommend android phones or why I should stay with android yadda yadda, I have made my decision and wont be swayed. 

Thanks Guys!

get the biggest badest iphone you can if ur first gonna switch. altho i would wait for the new release of iphones ( im not sure when that will be but they have said some great shit is gonna happen) 

52 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

get the biggest badest iphone you can if ur first gonna switch. altho i would wait for the new release of iphones ( im not sure when that will be but they have said some great shit is gonna happen) 

I've seen the leaks for this years and they arent worth the price increase over something like a xs max imo. It would be an extra 250-300 minimum and Im not willing to spend that

6 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I've seen the leaks for this years and they arent worth the price increase over something like a xs max imo. It would be an extra 250-300 minimum and Im not willing to spend that

ive had my hands on the XS MAX if you can get that pone id go for it its very nice used it for about 2 days originaly had a 7 max or pluss or whatever they called it prior and it was alot better 

iPhone X.

Why? iPhone 8 Plus design is Garbage / outdated / 2012, call it what you want.

Huge bezels, outdated 16:9 display ratio, no gesture control (which is superior), no Oled.

iPhone X > 8 Plus.

E ven Xr > 8 Plus, mainly because of the Design, bigger screen while beeing smaller, better battery life.

I'm going to echo the iPhone X recommendation.  Not that the iPhone 8 Plus is bad (it's still very capable), but the iPhone X will have technologies that are more likely to get support in the long run.

I'm kind of with you -- I have an iPhone XS and it's great, but I was also willing to pay for a brand new flagship and expect to keep it until at least 2020.  The iPhone X will get you most of the core experience, but it'll cost a lot less.

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

but the iPhone X will have technologies that are more likely to get support in the long run.

Like what exactly? They have the same SoC and the same amount of RAM. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

19 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Which iPhone would you go for, the iPhone X or the iPhone 8 plus?

I picked the 8 Plus over a XR. I was upgrading from my 6s Plus and I traded it in. Got the 8 Plus for $450. 

I picked the 8 Plus because of the 16:9 display, the familiar home button, and the bigger screen. In my specific case, the 8 Plus was $50 cheaper than the XR. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Like what exactly? They have the same SoC and the same amount of RAM. 

The TrueDepth camera and Face ID, not to mention the taller screen ratio.  Apps are going to be designed more and more around that basic display format.

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The TrueDepth camera and Face ID, not to mention the taller screen ratio.  Apps are going to be designed more and more around that basic display format.

Considering that UI kit exists, I don't think that's the case. And TouchID is alive an well in MacBooks, so I don't see that going away either. 

29 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Considering that UI kit exists, I don't think that's the case. And TouchID is alive an well in MacBooks, so I don't see that going away either. 

It's more about what's coming than whether or not older tech is going away.  The truth is that there are some things you can do on TrueDepth-equipped phones that you can't on earlier models, and that some apps will take better advantage of the new screens than the older designs.  It's just not as urgent to use the latest hardware at this point as it will be in, say, a year or two.

On 7/21/2019 at 12:45 AM, Norwegiantweaker said:

ive had my hands on the XS MAX if you can get that pone id go for it its very nice used it for about 2 days originaly had a 7 max or pluss or whatever they called it prior and it was alot better 

On 7/21/2019 at 1:39 AM, Darkseth said:

iPhone X.

Why? iPhone 8 Plus design is Garbage / outdated / 2012, call it what you want.

Huge bezels, outdated 16:9 display ratio, no gesture control (which is superior), no Oled.

iPhone X > 8 Plus.

E ven Xr > 8 Plus, mainly because of the Design, bigger screen while beeing smaller, better battery life.

15 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'm going to echo the iPhone X recommendation.  Not that the iPhone 8 Plus is bad (it's still very capable), but the iPhone X will have technologies that are more likely to get support in the long run.

I'm kind of with you -- I have an iPhone XS and it's great, but I was also willing to pay for a brand new flagship and expect to keep it until at least 2020.  The iPhone X will get you most of the core experience, but it'll cost a lot less.

14 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I picked the 8 Plus over a XR. I was upgrading from my 6s Plus and I traded it in. Got the 8 Plus for $450. 

I picked the 8 Plus because of the 16:9 display, the familiar home button, and the bigger screen. In my specific case, the 8 Plus was $50 cheaper than the XR. 

Thanks for the help guys, I had a look around on local marketplaces and I can buy a brand new sealed xs max for €900, about €350 cheaper than buying from apple. I think that might be my best option right now 

i just got my iphone x from iphone 8 plus, its very nice to hold the size of iphone x not big and fat like iphone 8 plus, i dont have regrets at all. 

Thanks for all the help guys! I actually went with a Xs Max, I got a great price on it and saved enough money to buy a series 5 apple watch when they release late september.