EVGA G3 650w enough? Ryzen 2600x + GTX 1080 Ti

254732_1454182039

Hi all,

I'm aware the G3 was downgraded in the tier list due to a couple of failures but it's the one I have and have been using for half a year.

I'm upgrading from a 1070 to 1080 Ti and would like to know if this PSU will suffice?

I'm running basically PE LVL 2 and PBO enabled, Ram is running at 3600 @1.45V C14 .

2 minutes ago, 254732_1454182039 said:

I'm aware the G3 was downgraded in the tier list due to a couple of failures but it's the one I have and have been using for half a year.

I'm upgrading from a 1070 to 1080 Ti and would like to know if this PSU will suffice?

Yeah, that's fine. Not an issue.

Don't worry too much about what the PSU Tier List says. If they edit the list tomorrow and move the EVGA G3 up a tier does that mean that your unit suddenly performs better?  If they decide to drop it down to Tier F does that mean your PSU will blow up the next time you turn your computer on? Of course not.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Don't worry too much about what the PSU Tier List says. If they edit the list tomorrow and move the EVGA G3 up a tier does that mean that your unit suddenly performs better?  If they decide to drop it down to Tier F does that mean your PSU will blow up the next time you turn your computer on? Of course not.

That's not how that list works. The tier list is edited to represent the quality of a unit in comparison to others. The G3 doesn't have problems because they moved it down the list, they moved it down the list to represent the problems it has.

The G3 is a fine unit, but how you describe the Tier list is plain wrong

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

My only recommendation is not to use a single PCIe power cable for the card, that's all.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

For PSU review's I cannot recommend Johnnyguru enough, by far the most in depth PSU reviews.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

7 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

For PSU review's I cannot recommend Johnnyguru enough, by far the most in depth PSU reviews.

I take it you haven't read many PSU reviews at all....? Check out some of Aris' reviews on Tomshardware. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/t/power-supplies/review/

34 minutes ago, 254732_1454182039 said:

Hi all,

I'm running basically PE LVL 2 and PBO enabled, Ram is running at 3600 @1.45V C14 .

It's fine, assuming you're not running some high core count HEDT platform overclocked, under a non gaming load. 

:)

1 hour ago, Fakmykak said:

Not by a long shot, Aris's and Computerbase.de's PSU reviews go more in-depth than Jonnyguru's/Wolf.