Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Queen Chrysallis

What is a Bad VRM Temp?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have my own standards for GPU and CPU temps amongst other hardwares, but i got none for VRM...

I found out the panel on my motherboard displays that, its the MOS and i was told that it is the board's VRM... Its the only number that matches the one displaying in the panel

image.png.5990905466df6aba67335f6a19f3b8ef.png

So, when should i start to worry that my VRMs are getting a bit toasty?

In general i'm fine with anything under 80C, preferably under 70C for maximum peace of mind

But idk how VRM temps work so if you guys could enlighten me that'd be great

Thanks

Current, New System

Mobo: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame RTX 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Vengeance LPX // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Old System (Now Retired)

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agility3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

10 minutes ago, Queen Chrysallis said:

I have my own standards for GPU and CPU temps amongst other hardwares, but i got none for VRM...

I found out the panel on my motherboard displays that, its the MOS and i was told that it is the board's VRM... Its the only number that matches the one displaying in the panel

image.png.5990905466df6aba67335f6a19f3b8ef.png

In general i'm fine with anything under 80C, preferably under 70C for maximum peace of mind

Thanks

70/80 is fine 80+ is getting toasty, but in general the board can handle it. And since you have a godlike board the vrm quality should be excellent also. I still wouldn't go above 100 though

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X | RAM:G Skill TridentZ RGB 2666 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 128 GB ssd 1 Tb WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop(for school and Virtual machines):

CPU: Core I7 7700HQ | RAM: Samsung 2400 mhz (2x8  GB standard ram)

GPU: GTX 1050 2 GB (I sometimes this for gaming on the go)

Storage: 128 GB M.2 SSD from Kingston and a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Second Laptop (work laptop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U| RAM: Samsung 2666 Mhz  4 GB

GPU: Vega 3

Storage: 128 GB NVMe drive from lenovo

good vrms can handle 150c for 5000 hours. usually they are rated for 120c for 4000 hours.    <-- for continous load

try to keep below 100 for long term use. 

18 minutes ago, Queen Chrysallis said:

Thanks

The main components of VRM phases, the lo-side and hi-side mosfets (or the power stage, which contains these two mosfets and some extra smart stuff) are typically designed to work up to at least 125 degrees Celsius... a lot of them can last up to 150 degrees.

Motherboards will usually make an effort to keep the VRM below around 110 degrees Celsius, because over long periods of time (hundreds of hours) the printed circuit board under these chips can deteriorate if the temperature is above around 100 degrees celsius.

Basically, if the temperature inside the actual chip is around 110 degrees Celsius, the temperature of the printed circuit board below the chip is somewhere around 95-100 degrees.

The printed circuit board is made of lots of super thin fiber glass strands woven together in a pattern, then everything is impregnated in a resin/epoxy which makes the whole fiber weave flat and ready to receive the layer of copper. Above 100 degrees Celsius, over a long number of hours, that resin/epoxy/glue can have its chemical properties slowly change for the worst and eventually the circuit board can fail in that area.

Capacitors are also affected by high temperatures. Capacitors are those round things near the square things (the inductors). They're typically rated for a few thousand hours at a particular temperature (105c). What does that mean... basically it's something like this : if the capacitor is working in an ambient temperature of 105c, at the end of x hours, the capacitor's specifications will deteriorate by this much, usually 20-30%, and that's considered out of specification, broken.

A typical capacitor on motherboards will have around 2000h @ 105c for low end boards, up to 5000h at 105c for mid-range boards and up to 10-12k hours at 105c

The numbers seem low, but they're for 105c... if the working temperature is lower the lifetime rating increases significantly.

For example, if the mosfets are hovering at around 100 degrees Celsius, the capacitors will also warm up because heat from those chips flows through the circuit board, through the capacitors leads and warms the capacitor. As current flows through the capacitor, the capacitor also heats inside due to losses - no capacitor is perfect.  The capacitors won't be at 100 degrees Celsius... something closer to reality would be around 75 degrees Celsius.

So you can approximate how soon such capacitors would become bad with the formula 

Lifetime = Lifetime original x 10 (Trating - Tambient) / 20

So if capacitor originally is rated for 2000h @ 105c and it's working at 75c ... L = 2000 x 10(105-75)/20  = 2000 x 101.5 = ~ 2000 x 31.6 = 63200 h or 2600 days or 7 years of 24/7 use at that 75c ambient temperature.

Anyway... tldr ... I'd say anything under around 90c when gaming or using cpu hard is fine.  Depends on where the temperature sensor is actually placed... if it's 90c on the circuit board, it's perfect. If it's 90c inside the power stages it's even better, that means the circuit board is a bit cooler than that so it's fine.

Above that temperature, considering adding a fan to blow over the heatsink and increase the dissipation.