Which benchmark scores should I consider when comparing Android Phones

I'm in the market for a new phone right now and looking for an android phone specifically. While comparing the many phones available i have come across many different benchmark tests without very much information on what they measure, how much insight they have into everyday operation of the phone, or even how ubiquitous/standard they are. Which benchmarks if any should I take stock in?

For reference I'm not really a power user when it comes to cell phones. I don't generally play games but I do watch a lot of video and do a decent amount of web browsing and would like to have my phone stay relevant for years to come.

Thanks!

-Brendan Jackson B)

benchmarks for phones are like farts

everyone has theirs and no one likes others farts

latelly what most people look on a phone is if it has great arm cpu, lots of ram and if nobody has said it has the slowest storage ever

other than that most comparisons will paint a really weird image where some phones are great but use th daily is horrible, supprt is terrible and battery problems are norm

that is why no one recomends and reviews smarphones anymore really, look at linus, he is never happy with anything, going back eith the farts concept

On 7/19/2019 at 1:52 PM, Bmanj said:

I'm in the market for a new phone right now and looking for an android phone specifically. While comparing the many phones available i have come across many different benchmark tests without very much information on what they measure, how much insight they have into everyday operation of the phone, or even how ubiquitous/standard they are. Which benchmarks if any should I take stock in?

For reference I'm not really a power user when it comes to cell phones. I don't generally play games but I do watch a lot of video and do a decent amount of web browsing and would like to have my phone stay relevant for years to come.

Thanks!

Benchmarks aren't going to tell you much, especially if you don't game or are not a power user. They are synthetic tests that stress certain areas of the Soc; it's very hard to judge how the phone will actually perform in day to day use since there are so many real world factors that aren't usually involved. Some tech reviewers will use the phone for a bit and then give their opinion. If you're gonna listen to any review then do those, at least they have some real world experience.

What you should search for is a phone that meets your needs in terms of battery and onboard features. Do you want a large screen? IP rating? Wireless charging? Plastic versus metal? Manufacturer? OS? Support lifecycle? Do you even need those or are you just looking for a phone that'll make calls, texts and some Youtube and Netflix?

I saw your last paragraph state that you want to be relevant for a few years. I take that to mean you want the device to be supported for awhile. Flagships from LG and Samsung get good support for the first year, maybe year and a half, then start to falter as their next device gets leaked and teased. Google's phones seem promising, especially their 3a since they're gonna support it for at least three years. Oneplus is another company to look at as I hear their devices are pretty long lasting too.

Did you have one or two in mind?