Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucasAndACatFace

I need some help with a CD-R player

Posted · Original PosterOP

So basically I have been having some problems with the CD/DVD player of my dad's computer.

He asked me to put some video into a CD/DVD and for some weird reason it coudn't do it, it simply didn't recnognize the blank CD-R and then I said: "Dad I can't do it, the DVD/CD Player in this machine is not working." He said Oh, sorry okay..

It wasn't that important so he didn't care too much, but then he changed the PC he used and gave me this one, and it's the old one..

And the problem is still there.

Writed CD/DVD's work, but blank ones don't.

I think it's a driver issue. But i'm not sure. And also, our car, only supports CD'S and no Flash drive so oof..

Can someone help me? Oh, and also his new PC works with the same CD so it's a problem from my PC.

And I KNOW CD'S are dead, but I want to make it work because my grandma has some videos of her wedding on a CD but i'm afraid that CD/DVD stops working. And I have a backup of her wedding on my PC, but still..

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

What software are you using to write to the CDs?

Windows doesn't recnognize, and I was gonna use the normal Windows way.

1 minute ago, LucasAndACatFace said:

And I KNOW CD'S are dead, but I want to make it work because my grandma has some videos of her wedding on a CD but i'm afraid that CD/DVD stops working. And I have a backup of her wedding on my PC, but still..

And also I don't think she saw it yet.

Just now, LucasAndACatFace said:

What do you mean?

The information about a blank disk is stored at a slightly different depth/location than the data, and if the laser cant focus on it for some reason it wont know that the disk is a blank.  Its a hardware failure that causes this.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

The information about a blank disk is stored at a slightly different depth/location than the data, and if the laser cant focus on it for some reason it wont know that the disk is a blank.  Its a hardware failure that causes this.

Hmm so in that case I'll need to buy a new CD Reader compatible with my PC or a external one?

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If it doesn't work, then we can say it's a hardware problem. In which case, USB external drives are like $30.

Yeah, I'm brazilian, I'll see how that goes. And the price too.

6 minutes ago, LucasAndACatFace said:

CD Reader compatible with my PC

AFAIK CD/DVD drives just plug in through SATA so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues as long as your board has an open SATA. Which it should if you remove the current drive.

Don't quote me on it though. I never really used discs aside from physical games since discs are on their way out if not already pretty much obsolete. I mean consoles don't even play off the disc anymore. The disc is just a key required to initially play the game. Sorry for the tangent.

6 minutes ago, LucasAndACatFace said:

Hmm so in that case I'll need to buy a new CD Reader compatible with my PC or a external one?

Just get a SATA DVD burner.  They support CD-R/CD-RW.

Okay, this is weird, the ImgBurn program that she sent me, can't detect any "writers". So can't be it possible that my CD/DVD Reader has the "write/burn" broken?

image.png.a95afae2efcae0996b3e6d1655122e73.png

28 minutes ago, LucasAndACatFace said:

Okay, this is weird, the ImgBurn program that she sent me, can't detect any "writers". So can't be it possible that my CD/DVD Reader has the "write/burn" broken?

image.png.a95afae2efcae0996b3e6d1655122e73.png

100% possible, have you done a fresh Windows install?

Also, a CD/DVD burner is just a burner.  There is no "windows/mac/linux" compatibility, its just a device like a HDD that uses standardized protocols.

I suspect that the drive had no disc writing capabilities to begin with as there are no specific drivers as two different drive on two different computers (one is a ROM only and the other has writing capabilities) use the exact same cdrom.sys driver, so I would suggest going through device manager to confirm if it is just a ROM drive.