Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UrbanFreestyle

Maxing out.... Just because?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone.

So i don't know if it's because i'm getting older or poorer but i'm wondering how many people max out their case and PC because they can as opposed to needing it.

As an example....

I have a perfectly capable rig (specs below)

Spoiler

Asus Z97-K

Intel Core i7 4790K

Noctua NH-U14S

4x 8gb 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3

EVGA GTX 960 SSC

EVGA Supernova 1000w G3

256gb Samsung M.2

2x 3tb Seagate Barracuda

2x 120mm Corsair Stock fans

Carbide 330R Titanium

Now i have noticed i am wanting to fill the machine up with more than i need.

For example... 

The ram... I don't NEED 32gb but i had 8gb sticks and 4 slots so why not fill them?

I don't NEED a 1000w PSU but it was cheaper than a 750w (mates rates)

I WANT to swap out to dual Quadro K4200 cards because i have two pcie slots and want to fill them despite probably being worse performance.

I WANT to add another two HDD as i have 2 empty bays not that i NEED more storage (at the moment)

Fans, I have one intake and one exhaust. It works but i have space for more so want to fill them...

Does anyone else have the irrational desire to overspec / fill a machine with as much as you can because there is space?

Advanced issues found

10 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Hi...

Does anyone else have the irrational desire to overspec / fill a machine with as much as you can because there is space?

I have the need for constant upgrades. It's a bottomless hole.

No 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

It's funny cause i actually 'downgraded' from an i5 8400 hexcore to the i7 but actually get the same performace in real world use.

I do a lot of CAD so thinking the quadros might benefit me but not sure they will work together.

1 hour ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

I WANT to add another two HDD as i have 2 empty bays not that i NEED more storage (at the moment)

I kind of had this same thing, my NZXT S340 had 2 empty bays until I bought a Crucial BX500 240GB to fill one of them in, I made the excuse to myself that I would get a Linux distro on it.

The second bay is still empty and that bothers me a lot, so I wanted to buy a small 120GB BX500 for about $20-$30 just to have it filled.

Don't even get me started on the two empty 3.25" bays in the bottom. :(

Mechanical Keyboards Enthusiast

Custom Keyboard Photography | Switch Reviews

Mine came maxed. it is a laptop from 2014 😞

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

5 hours ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

I have a desire to exceed what is "needed", but not a desire to go excessively beyond so.

Or rather most times I like to pretend I'm finding the point where the returns start flatlining.

I bought what I needed, any processing power I don’t need is waste.

My experience is what I want so I’m happy.

Only just stayed around my budget too so didn’t suffer for it.

So no, I didn’t max out my space,& purposefully reduced all waste.

I have a desire to improve my PC all the time, but never to decrease performance for the sake of filling a hole.

Doing something you know is detrimental because of a desire to see something whole or complete is IMO a bad thing.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

I've been guilty of this. 

When I was younger and poorer, I used the internet and games as a means to escapism. Having a faster computer was nice and bettered the experience. It was my ONLY luxury. I didn't go out. I cut corners on food. I wore clothes until they started to fall apart (I still fit into shirts from high school) and I loaded up on roommates to save on housing. 

Here and now... I can't feel a huge difference between the 1700 I just got rid of and the 3900x I just got... the 2080 I got was nice but didn't meaningfully change my experience in many of my favorite titles. Going from 32GB to 64GB RAM helped a little but I probably could've just rented out space on AWS/Azure/GCP/DO. 

I did notice a nice boost from going from a 480GB NVME SSD that was full to a 960GB NVME SSD, along with swapping out a 3TB HDD for a 2TB SATA SSD. 

----

At some level I think it's "because I can" - it's my main hobby and I learn as I go (which has helped me a bit professionally - I talked about setting up a home lab and implementing wifi and security systems at my parents' houses during the interview which got me my current job). If I spend $1000 a year on tech, stuff, it's basically nothing to me, I could do that a hundred times over and still have plenty of cash left over. If you amortize PC purchases across the useful life and net out resale/gifting value, I spend more on travel/vacations (~$2000 a year) than I do on tech. The flip is that I live off of a fairly small % of my income, get free food at work and my other hobbies are basically cheap/free - bicycling (no longer have a car) and weight lifting (gym at work) and bank something like 70% of my gross.

I somehow justified to myself to add 3 more fans to make my radiator push-pull because my cpu temps are dangerously high at 60ish degrees celsius...

Or maybe it was just because i had space.

Lately i've been fighting the urge to change from single 960 do SLI Quadro cards. I already have the cards and know performance isnt really going to change but it does fill that 2nd slot in the motherboard.

I did a fair bit of maxing out because I had the budget for it after working double overtime over a summer, so a big part of it was getting back at life for making me go through such pain. So yeah, it was a lot of money I could've used for useful stuff, but every time I look at that giant tower and both those 1080Tis I remember that horrible summer, smile, and think, "I've worked hard for this."

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

7 minutes ago, Kochiha Ichihara said:

I did a fair bit of maxing out because I had the budget for it after working double overtime over a summer, so a big part of it was getting back at life for making me go through such pain. So yeah, it was a lot of money I could've used for useful stuff, but every time I look at that giant tower and both those 1080Tis I remember that horrible summer, smile, and think, "I've worked hard for this."

Yeah i love looking at my PC and feeling 'i deserve this'

On 7/19/2019 at 6:19 AM, UrbanFreestyle said:

It's funny cause i actually 'downgraded' from an i5 8400 hexcore to the i7

I did a similar thing, although mine is more of a sidegrade; I went from a Ryzen 5 1600 to an i7-5820K.

Posted (edited)

The only excentric thing I added in my current build is a RM1000i PSU and that's only because I got a very good deal on it (same price as a RM750). And well.. I wanted to test the "i" 😅

Otherwise the RAM I need it. It was 16GB at first, then I got 2 x 16 GB more because I really needed it. And when the new rig will be ready I'll remove the 2x8GB from my main and put it in there and maybe I'll add a 2nd set of 2 x 16. Or not. Depends if I can make go with 32 GB RAM.

Same with the HDD. I need tremendous space and I prefer to have a dedicated HDD for my daughter's account as she needs also tremendous space (Photoshop, Krita, Premiere)  each file being "not light".

But I feel that being able to use only 3 HDD (of which 2 are to be bought soon) when I can put 8 in my case is quite a proof of restraint 😛

Plus...let's get real... My build is still quite "new" as I bought it last january. And my previous PC was bought in... 2009. With a few upgrades here and there from time to time, but nothing major.

So... In my book a brand new build every 10 years is quite reasonnable ^o^.

Slow and steady wins the race! 😉

Edited by Cora_Lie

If you don't have a reason to not and you want to, then do it.

theres a huge problem on tech support forums where everyone thinks that everything is about maximum price to performance, on a budget, has to conform to a certain set of standards

screw that, I put a 1000w power supply in a mini itx case with an RX 560 and i7 7700T, I cooled it with a BeQuiet dark rock pro 4 just because it looks cool

"oh that's such a waste of money, you don't need a 1000w psu, the Intel stock cooler would be fine"

i want to swear but I can't swear on here

Thats just dumb, I have my reasons, i don't need your broke boy input on my build because it's not economical or "adequate"

I had 32gb of DDR3 in my old pc with an R9 280x and i5 4460s just because I wanted to fill the slots. I bought an aftermarket cooler for an Athlon 5350. I ran said ~100$ Athlon 5350 system in a 400$ case.

I use a 15 year old high end power supply in my pre pcie builds just because it looks cool. 

No I will not pair a Q6600 with a 750ti, no I will not run Windows 10 just because the system is capable of it on paper.

god I hate that mentality so much 

IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Some people need the latest, but a lot just want it. Nothing wrong with that, it's their money. I wanted a good CPU for video recording but the GPU wasn't a big priority as I really only play Team Fortress 2 and the Forza games on PC.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

Local VHS collector and video capture amateur. I'm gay but that's not a redeeming personality trait for me.

@Dan Castellaneta x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Tyler :^

22 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Same with the HDD. I need tremendous space and I prefer to have a dedicated HDD for my daughter's account as she needs also tremendous space (Photoshop, Krita, Premiere)  each file being "not light".

But I feel that being able to use only 3 HDD (of which 2 are to be bought soon) when I can put 8 in my case is quite a proof of restraint 😛

Totally agree with this! i do CAD and a lot of media (Photoshop, Lightroom, Vegas etc)