Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UrbanFreestyle

Maxing out.... Just because?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi everyone.

So i don't know if it's because i'm getting older or poorer but i'm wondering how many people max out their case and PC because they can as opposed to needing it.

As an example....

I have a perfectly capable rig (specs below)

Spoiler

Asus Z97-K

Intel Core i7 4790K

Noctua NH-U14S

4x 8gb 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3

EVGA GTX 960 SSC

EVGA Supernova 1000w G3

256gb Samsung M.2

2x 3tb Seagate Barracuda

2x 120mm Corsair Stock fans

Carbide 330R Titanium

Now i have noticed i am wanting to fill the machine up with more than i need.

For example... 

The ram... I don't NEED 32gb but i had 8gb sticks and 4 slots so why not fill them?

I don't NEED a 1000w PSU but it was cheaper than a 750w (mates rates)

I WANT to swap out to dual Quadro K4200 cards because i have two pcie slots and want to fill them despite probably being worse performance.

I WANT to add another two HDD as i have 2 empty bays not that i NEED more storage (at the moment)

Fans, I have one intake and one exhaust. It works but i have space for more so want to fill them...

Does anyone else have the irrational desire to overspec / fill a machine with as much as you can because there is space?

Advanced issues found

10 minutes ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

Hi...

Does anyone else have the irrational desire to overspec / fill a machine with as much as you can because there is space?

I have the need for constant upgrades. It's a bottomless hole.

No 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

It's funny cause i actually 'downgraded' from an i5 8400 hexcore to the i7 but actually get the same performace in real world use.

I do a lot of CAD so thinking the quadros might benefit me but not sure they will work together.

1 hour ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

I WANT to add another two HDD as i have 2 empty bays not that i NEED more storage (at the moment)

I kind of had this same thing, my NZXT S340 had 2 empty bays until I bought a Crucial BX500 240GB to fill one of them in, I made the excuse to myself that I would get a Linux distro on it.

The second bay is still empty and that bothers me a lot, so I wanted to buy a small 120GB BX500 for about $20-$30 just to have it filled.

Don't even get me started on the two empty 3.25" bays in the bottom. :(

Aesthetics Goddess & Light Theme User

PC Rig Photography  Custom Keyboard Photography

PC

i5-8600K 4.9GHz | Deepcool Neptwin White | Asus Z370-P | Corsair LPX 16GB | Asus GTX 1060 3GB | 500GB Crucial P1 + | NZXT S340 | Corsair CX450M | Windows 10 Pro

Laptop

i3-8130U 3.4GHz | Crucial 12GB | Intel UHD 620 | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Manjaro Gnome Linux 4.19

Mobile

Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Apple Watch Series 3 Nike+ GPS + Cellular | Jaybird X3

Mine came maxed. it is a laptop from 2014 😞

I am a christian I will not apoligize.

official owner of the worlds only box cooled laptop.

Homo-sapien. The smartest creature on earth. seriusly? this is the best we could do with ourselves?

The unanimous Declaration of the penguins independance

when in the Course of technological events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all computers are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are security and customizability . — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Operating System becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Operating System, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their security and customizability. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Operating Systems long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Operating systems, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of control. The history of microsoft windows is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these pc's. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Microsoft has refused there Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

Microsoft has forbidden there users to pass patches of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till there Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, they have utterly neglected to attend to them.

Microsoft has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

Microsoft has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with there measures.

Microsoft has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

Microsoft has endeavoured to prevent the compitition to windows; for that purpose obstructing the The furthurment of technology; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of pcs.

Microsoft has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing there Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers..

Microsoft has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

Microsoft has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving there Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

Microsoft has abdicated Government Microsoft, by declaring us out of there Protection and waging War against us.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our human brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement Microsoft. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the penguins of linux, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent Operating System, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Microsoft Emporer, and that all political connection between them and the Operating system windows, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Operating System, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent Operating Systems may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

5 hours ago, UrbanFreestyle said:

I have a desire to exceed what is "needed", but not a desire to go excessively beyond so.

Or rather most times I like to pretend I'm finding the point where the returns start flatlining.

I bought what I needed, any processing power I don’t need is waste.

My experience is what I want so I’m happy.

Only just stayed around my budget too so didn’t suffer for it.

So no, I didn’t max out my space,& purposefully reduced all waste.

I have a desire to improve my PC all the time, but never to decrease performance for the sake of filling a hole.

Doing something you know is detrimental because of a desire to see something whole or complete is IMO a bad thing.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

I've been guilty of this. 

When I was younger and poorer, I used the internet and games as a means to escapism. Having a faster computer was nice and bettered the experience. It was my ONLY luxury. I didn't go out. I cut corners on food. I wore clothes until they started to fall apart (I still fit into shirts from high school) and I loaded up on roommates to save on housing. 

Here and now... I can't feel a huge difference between the 1700 I just got rid of and the 3900x I just got... the 2080 I got was nice but didn't meaningfully change my experience in many of my favorite titles. Going from 32GB to 64GB RAM helped a little but I probably could've just rented out space on AWS/Azure/GCP/DO. 

I did notice a nice boost from going from a 480GB NVME SSD that was full to a 960GB NVME SSD, along with swapping out a 3TB HDD for a 2TB SATA SSD. 

----

At some level I think it's "because I can" - it's my main hobby and I learn as I go (which has helped me a bit professionally - I talked about setting up a home lab and implementing wifi and security systems at my parents' houses during the interview which got me my current job). If I spend $1000 a year on tech, stuff, it's basically nothing to me, I could do that a hundred times over and still have plenty of cash left over. If you amortize PC purchases across the useful life and net out resale/gifting value, I spend more on travel/vacations (~$2000 a year) than I do on tech. The flip is that I live off of a fairly small % of my income, get free food at work and my other hobbies are basically cheap/free - bicycling (no longer have a car) and weight lifting (gym at work) and bank something like 70% of my gross.

I somehow justified to myself to add 3 more fans to make my radiator push-pull because my cpu temps are dangerously high at 60ish degrees celsius...

Or maybe it was just because i had space.

Lately i've been fighting the urge to change from single 960 do SLI Quadro cards. I already have the cards and know performance isnt really going to change but it does fill that 2nd slot in the motherboard.

I did a fair bit of maxing out because I had the budget for it after working double overtime over a summer, so a big part of it was getting back at life for making me go through such pain. So yeah, it was a lot of money I could've used for useful stuff, but every time I look at that giant tower and both those 1080Tis I remember that horrible summer, smile, and think, "I've worked hard for this."

7 minutes ago, Kochiha Ichihara said:

I did a fair bit of maxing out because I had the budget for it after working double overtime over a summer, so a big part of it was getting back at life for making me go through such pain. So yeah, it was a lot of money I could've used for useful stuff, but every time I look at that giant tower and both those 1080Tis I remember that horrible summer, smile, and think, "I've worked hard for this."

Yeah i love looking at my PC and feeling 'i deserve this'

On 7/19/2019 at 6:19 AM, UrbanFreestyle said:

It's funny cause i actually 'downgraded' from an i5 8400 hexcore to the i7

I did a similar thing, although mine is more of a sidegrade; I went from a Ryzen 5 1600 to an i7-5820K.

Posted (edited)

The only excentric thing I added in my current build is a RM1000i PSU and that's only because I got a very good deal on it (same price as a RM750). And well.. I wanted to test the "i" 😅

Otherwise the RAM I need it. It was 16GB at first, then I got 2 x 16 GB more because I really needed it. And when the new rig will be ready I'll remove the 2x8GB from my main and put it in there and maybe I'll add a 2nd set of 2 x 16. Or not. Depends if I can make go with 32 GB RAM.

Same with the HDD. I need tremendous space and I prefer to have a dedicated HDD for my daughter's account as she needs also tremendous space (Photoshop, Krita, Premiere)  each file being "not light".

But I feel that being able to use only 3 HDD (of which 2 are to be bought soon) when I can put 8 in my case is quite a proof of restraint 😛

Plus...let's get real... My build is still quite "new" as I bought it last january. And my previous PC was bought in... 2009. With a few upgrades here and there from time to time, but nothing major.

So... In my book a brand new build every 10 years is quite reasonnable ^o^.

Slow and steady wins the race! 😉

Edited by Cora_Lie

If you don't have a reason to not and you want to, then do it.

theres a huge problem on tech support forums where everyone thinks that everything is about maximum price to performance, on a budget, has to conform to a certain set of standards

screw that, I put a 1000w power supply in a mini itx case with an RX 560 and i7 7700T, I cooled it with a BeQuiet dark rock pro 4 just because it looks cool

"oh that's such a waste of money, you don't need a 1000w psu, the Intel stock cooler would be fine"

i want to swear but I can't swear on here

Thats just dumb, I have my reasons, i don't need your broke boy input on my build because it's not economical or "adequate"

I had 32gb of DDR3 in my old pc with an R9 280x and i5 4460s just because I wanted to fill the slots. I bought an aftermarket cooler for an Athlon 5350. I ran said ~100$ Athlon 5350 system in a 400$ case.

I use a 15 year old high end power supply in my pre pcie builds just because it looks cool. 

No I will not pair a Q6600 with a 750ti, no I will not run Windows 10 just because the system is capable of it on paper.

god I hate that mentality so much 

thou shalt not yeeteth

Some people need the latest, but a lot just want it. Nothing wrong with that, it's their money. I wanted a good CPU for video recording but the GPU wasn't a big priority as I really only play Team Fortress 2 and the Forza games on PC.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

Local VHS collector and video capture amateur. I'm gay but that's not a redeeming personality trait for me.

@Dan Castellaneta x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Tyler :^

22 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Same with the HDD. I need tremendous space and I prefer to have a dedicated HDD for my daughter's account as she needs also tremendous space (Photoshop, Krita, Premiere)  each file being "not light".

But I feel that being able to use only 3 HDD (of which 2 are to be bought soon) when I can put 8 in my case is quite a proof of restraint 😛

Totally agree with this! i do CAD and a lot of media (Photoshop, Lightroom, Vegas etc)