5 hours of pc daily

zindan

Hello, I wish to limit myself to only 5 hours of pc use every day except for weekends. Is there some kind of software that I could use to help me keep track of time etc. Or like force shutdown after 5 hours. However I don't want it to be 5 hours straight, sometimes I would like to pause.. Maybe play 2 hours, wait 1-2 hours and then come back.

8 minutes ago, zindan said:

Hello, I wish to limit myself to only 5 hours of pc use every day except for weekends. Is there some kind of software that I could use to help me keep track of time etc. Or like force shutdown after 5 hours. However I don't want it to be 5 hours straight, sometimes I would like to pause.. Maybe play 2 hours, wait 1-2 hours and then come back.

It's called time management and you will need it the more you grow up 

Just calculate the time you play every day and stop after 5 hours

U can use a timer like dgsddfgdfhgs said

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

just use a timer  or your mom

image.jpeg.708d52376a7e876327fa7fdbcd6033d6.jpeg

I prefer a software.

4 minutes ago, zindan said:

I prefer a software.

If you have a phone you can set the timer (this is software) for 5 hours.  Start it when you start using the computer and stop it when you are done.  When it finishes then you have used your time for the day.

6 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

If you have a phone you can set the timer (this is software) for 5 hours.  Start it when you start using the computer and stop it when you are done.  When it finishes then you have used your time for the day.

I don't sadly.

Personally, i'd just set some specific hours that are dedicated for PC time, i remember a parent doing up an old analogue clock to be color coded so her kids knew what activity they should be doing when they got home, one color was homework, one was reading, another was TV time etc etc.  Maybe do the same, buy an analogue wall clock and color code certain hours for specific activities and be strict on yourself. 

Something along these lines.

a4ac6c97281f06a4fd80fb4678e56e24.jpg&f=1

self control.

just use the timer on google or find any kind of basic alarm program (windows 10 has one built into the clock app) and start and stop it accordingly. when it beeps, you turn your PC off.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

shutdown -s -a -t 18001

Add this to Notepad and save as "Defcon 5.bat". 

It is very important to save as a [dot]BAT file to ensure that it goes into command line. 

Edit: Please note that this will shut you down immediately. You will have no alert. If you'd like to make a batch file for a five-hour text alert followed by a five-minute shutdown timer, I could certainly do that as well. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

22 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Personally, i'd just set some specific hours that are dedicated for PC time, i remember a parent doing up an old analogue clock to be color coded so her kids knew what activity they should be doing when they got home, one color was homework, one was reading, another was TV time etc etc.  Maybe do the same, buy an analogue wall clock and color code certain hours for specific activities and be strict on yourself. 

That's really cute.

I've never looked into them myself but I would suspect the parental controls in Windows and other devices would offer this feature as it's one of the primary things most parents want to do when restricting their kids.  Have you considered trying those features on yourself?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What about those softwares used in internet cafes? The ones that lock you out after a certain amount of pre-paid time.

Why 5 hours?

What are you doing with those 5 hour?

What do you want to do each day?

Can you achieve the same thing in less time?

Can you stop when you achieve the goals instead of a time limit?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

9 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Mom is best way...you can never miss

Your best solution is really your mom, she will never fail to remind you to stop playing games, even when you haven't hit your 5 hours ;) 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

9 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Dont those things cut power to the socket when time runs out? Would be very bad for the pc

If the hours is between the same clock time every day, and need it to actually kick you out of programs (bit of you want to, spesific ones), and that is harder to just run off (because you have bad control as I do, don't know how to get better at it, I recommend a program called Cold Turkey. 

Just keep it mind that if you want to uninstall it, you can't just do it while it's blocking something, because the block will then still be in effect untill you do some little bit more advanced tings, so uninstall it when no blocking is active.

If you have a child that has a computer, you can use it for that too to block things and whatever. You can set a password on the program.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This device could be interesting, but should do the trick.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

On 7/19/2019 at 12:51 AM, Newenthusiast said:

Please make a clock exactly like this OP 

Why limit yourself? Youre at the time of your life when you have the most free time. Enjoy it while it lasts, as long as you do what you need to it's ok to relax and have fun. We have a limited time here, make the best of it

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1 hour ago, Octavialicious said:

Why limit yourself? Youre at the time of your life when you have the most free time. Enjoy it while it lasts, as long as you do what you need to it's ok to relax and have fun. We have a limited time here, make the best of it

Because it's the time of a mans life when he needs to get the heck out of here and go to collage. I can't have this distraction if I want to do a bachelors degree in math. 

Just go outside!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3