new motherboard, questions about nvme

goto10

i built a new ryzen pc, well, sort of new

i kept most parts from the old pc, only bought a r3 2200, a gigabyte b450m dsh3 and a corsair 2x4 ram kit

i kept the hard disk and ssd from the previous build

i found a sort of deal on a adata sx6000 m.2 nvme 256gbs ssd, around 45 dollars more or less

i dont like the brand much, but it seems that is decent enough as i found on reviews, that got me confused if is sx6000, pro or xpg, i will have to find out that part on the store because adata doesnt explain if is 1 or 3 products

i want to use it as boot drive and to store a couple games i want fast access, gta v mostly

i have 3 concerns about the idea

1. the motherboard doesnt have a m.2 heatsink, should i be worried or buy a heatsink? will only be used for a couple games

2. i never worked with nvme m.2 ssds, any tips i should follow? havent found much information on bios details and that sort of stuff in youtube and forums, well, information for a nvme noob like me

3. i want to migrate the partition on the ssd, any tips about that? i think i should use a liveusb like clonezilla to clone from the ssd and then put the image in the nvme, any suggestions on this step?

i would like to move to nvme for 3

reasons, use the m.2 slot on the motherboard, gain more fast storage space and learn more in the process, if i keep using sata, well, i will never learn more, right?

3 minutes ago, goto10 said:

1. the motherboard doesnt have a m.2 heatsink, should i be worried or buy a heatsink? will only be used for a couple games

I highly doubt your drive will get hot enough to be a concern. My M.2 only has a heat spreader and I've never had any issues.

A girl who loves to love.

no need for heatsink for m.2 , the ssd is not fast enough to get hot enough to need a heatsink.

Seems that sx6000 uses 2 pci-e lanes, and it's rated for 1 GB/s read , 800 MB/s write speeds so nothing fancy. Budget series. This again means unlikely it will get hot.

good tho know, thank you for the replies

any tips on the install and migration and the configuration on bios?

Some heatsinks are even worse than no heatsink because they are not properly shaped for cooling. U can use EaseUs for transfering os i think.

my concern with tools is if i should create a boot usb or liveusb tool, this easeus seems to be a tool you install, usually that is the fastest way tp get in trouble when cloning partitons, but i am worried on how tp detect the nvme, ise it as the cloning destination and then boot from it

as i mentioned i know nothing about nvme process

well, i went to buy the adata and it was adata sx6000 lite, it was more expensive than it was yesterday and i dont like the brand much so i went to other store, i found 5 dollars cheaper this one

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Solid-State-Drive/GIGABYTE-M2-PCIe-SSD-256GB#kf

i had some problems clonning because i couldnt use a acronis usb tool i had around from a wd ssd, these oem acronis require the presence of a wd disk on the pc, i ended using another solution, it cloned from the old kingston ssd to the nvme in like 5 minutes

in the first boot with the nvme it refused to boot, it went to win10 bsod

then i remembered i read somewhere that you need the nvme driver to be present in the windows install so win10 can boot, so i restarted pc from the ssd one las time, windows indeed installed something but didnt said what, then i could access the nvme normally

i ran the clone process again, turned off pc and removed ssd, the first nvme boot windows again installed something and thats it, i have now a nvme boot drive working

i ran crystaldiskmark and cristaldiskinfo

it reads at around 1600mbs and writes at almost 1000mbs, this is a pci express 2x unit, those are impressive numbers i think

at idle it runs at around 38°c. and under load it goes up to 56°c. so yes, it can run without heatsink under normal circumstances and it seems it will not trothle easily

one thing i notice is that to boot windows the load speeds are not much faster than with the ssd, i guess that if you jump from a hard disk to a nvme must be a colossal improvement but from a ssd to nvme is not that incredible, at least on the way i use it