Red Camera? That'll be $95 - Prime day glitch turns into a field day for camera enthusiasts

rcmaehl

Source:

Reddit

PetaPixel

Slickdeals
Business Insider (Quotes source)

Summary:

A Prime Day glitch marked hundreds of Cameras and Equipment as ~$94.50

Media:
fujiorder-800x697.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

A pricing glitch on Amazon's website over Prime Day meant people were able to buy thousands of dollars' worth of camera gear for under $100. One shopper noticed that a $548 Sony a6000 and 16-50 mm lens bundle was listed on Amazon for $94.50. The shopper shared this on Slickdeals on Monday. The post hit the front page, and it wasn't long before comments began to flood in as camera enthusiasts expressed their delight and shared other giant savings. Others, however, said the deal did not show up, suggesting that there may have been glitches on Amazon's website. "Literally everything is 94.48. I have bought like 10k worth of stuff that was like 900 dollars total," one commenter wrote. The comments continued on Reddit. An Amazon representative did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment. The Sony camera...was listed by a third-party merchant but fulfilled by Amazon. This means Amazon handles the shipping, customer service, and returns. Screenshots of other heavily discounted camera gear shared with PetaPixel indicated that some items were being sold and shipped by Amazon itself. While some commenters on Reddit and Slickdeals said their orders had already shipped, others were still awaiting confirmation and wondering whether Amazon would cancel the order.

My Thoughts:

HECKING HECKITY HECK HECK. I wish I had saw this. My wife is into amateur photography and some new equipment for her would have been a great gift. Regardless, pricing errors on Sold by Amazon products have had a history of being fulfilled in the name of customer satisfaction and I would not be surprised if this was the case for these as well.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

My Thoughts:

HECKING HECKITY HECK HECK. I wish I had saw this. My wife is into amateur photography and some new equipment for her would have been a great gift. Regardless, pricing errors on Sold by Amazon products have had a history of being fulfilled in the name of customer satisfaction and I would not be surprised if this was the case for these as well.

Usually these types of orders get cancelled.

Already discussing it.  The "sources" Business Insider are referencing are just PetaPixel and Slick deals.  Seems a little circle of referencing each other, no real news outlets reporting this.  

No credible source confirming that the items are actually being delivered to shoppers.   They'll be cancelled.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Kicking myself for this one.  I could've had a killer full frame camera for a hundred US!

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

Usually these types of orders get cancelled.

Um depending on where the person doing the order is located Amazon may not be able to do so. In many parts of europe if you advertise somthing as X price you have to honour that price even if it was a mistake.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

wow, they actually shipped too. Thats insane. Once it ships, there is nothing amazon can do, its too late for them. Wish I saw this.

In the UK at least, since Amazon uses their own couriers, they can cancel the delivery right up until they're knocking on your door. I've had them do this before when Amazon have put their prices down the next day and they wouldn't refund me the difference

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

20 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

In the UK at least, since Amazon uses their own couriers, they can cancel the delivery right up until they're knocking on your door. I've had them do this before when Amazon have put their prices down the next day and they wouldn't refund me the difference

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't stand upto a legal challenge.

Just now, CarlBar said:

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't stand upto a legal challenge.

Your honour, we did not cancel the order, it was simply lost in transit. With the volume of packages that we ship each day, it's inevitable that some will not make it to their destination

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

2 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Your honour, we did not cancel the order, it was simply lost in transit. With the volume of packages that we ship each day, it's inevitable that some will not make it to their destination

If that is the case, they would have to honor the initial sales agreement and send you another one.

I believe this is true at least in Europe, a sales agreement is a legal agreement. If you promise to furnish a product for a certain price, you have to provide it. They took your money, didnt they?

But I know in the past, at least in the US, these types of mistaken orders are cancelled almost immediately by the online retailer.

13 minutes ago, maartendc said:

If that is the case, they would have to honor the initial sales agreement and send you another one.

I believe this is true at least in Europe, a sales agreement is a legal agreement. If you promise to furnish a product for a certain price, you have to provide it. They took your money, didnt they?

But I know in the past, at least in the US, these types of mistaken orders are cancelled almost immediately by the online retailer.

"However, if there is a genuine mistake on the part of the trader to display the correct price, the trader can claim that there is a defect in consent and the contract may be set aside, especially if the consumer should reasonably have known that the price displayed was the result of an error."

So no, you're not going to get 90% off on something even in Europe due to a price error.  Your logic would be similar to saying if a customer pulls out their wallet and a $20 bill falls out while they're trying to pay for a $1 item then they're obligated to give the business that $20.  No law system anywhere is actively trying to enabled customers or businesses to be doing those sorts of tricks.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

In Canada (at least in Alberta) if an item is incorrectly labled or advertized at a price lower than what it actually is the business has to give you the item for free if it is less than $10 or subtract $10 from the cost of the item.

So Amazon in Canada would well within their rights to cancle the order and attempt to restart the sale.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

5 hours ago, yolosnail said:

If its their own courier, then yea, they can do that. Still technically their property until they hand it over to you or a 3rd party.

I talked to my buddy who works at Amazon. Yes this is real and yes they will be fulfilling all the orders, even ordering more stock as necessary. It wasn't the only nor was it even the biggest error made during Prime Day. Amazon has a history of pricing errors, whether or not they honor them depends on a number of factors including stock, scale, publicity etc. 

31 minutes ago, trag1c said:

In Canada (at least in Alberta) if an item is incorrectly labled or advertized at a price lower than what it actually is the business has to give you the item for free if it is less than $10 or subtract $10 from the cost of the item.

So Amazon in Canada would well within their rights to cancle the order and attempt to restart the sale.

I believe you're talking about the scanning code of practice which is technically voluntary and not a law and does not apply to online sales.

On topic: I got a few items at price error levels but they werent cameras, and it was on the Canadian amazon site. Kind of wish I saw this one too. I have an american prime membership trial just for this month.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

11 minutes ago, harryk said:

I talked to my buddy who works at Amazon. Yes this is real and yes they will be fulfilling all the orders, even ordering more stock as necessary. It wasn't the only nor was it even the biggest error made during Prime Day. Amazon has a history of pricing errors, whether or not they honor them depends on a number of factors including stock, scale, publicity etc. 

So maybe a publicity stunt to get people hunting for bargains and buying more stuff? Only *some* people saw the pricing.

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So maybe a publicity stunt to get people hunting for bargains and buying more stuff? Only *some* people saw the pricing.

Highly unlikely based on the info I received (including how the error actually happened). Also the fact that this is not unusual for Amazon. Pricing errors happen all the time. This is a bigger one but it has happened before.

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

Would be stipulations inside Amazons ULA and TOS written, rewritten and read a 1000  times by Amazons legal department to cover them for occurrences like these. 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

Still technically their property until they hand it over to you or a 3rd party.

Not if they accepted payment in exchange for the product.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Um depending on where the person doing the order is located Amazon may not be able to do so. In many parts of europe if you advertise somthing as X price you have to honour that price even if it was a mistake.

Nope, that's a myth.

The truth is more grey. When buying online you're entering into a contract with the seller, it wholely depends on if the seller stipulates that the contact begins at the point of order, payment or delivery as to whether they have to honour a pricing error. Most online shops will stipulate the contract begins once the customer has received an item, before that point there's no contract and ergo the seller can cancel the items if they choose.

I'll be honest though, I don't know what Amazon's TOS says.

Shops do not have to honour pricing errors at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

And yes, they actually sent out the orders. 

One guy received an a7iii and 10-18 f/4 OSS

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Damn, I missed my chance.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

In the state of Florida, you'd have to honor the price. You'd likely be able to get the product just by calling the BBB or local CPB. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers