BYOC Ethernet Cable

Neumann_Joe

Hi first time posting and was wondering if anybody had idea how long of an Ethernet cable I should bring for the BYOC.

I've heard 25ft recommended and that sounds like a good length to make sure you'll be able to access their switches.

Are they to poor to make cables for each seat?

I would think they're prefer to control the cabling, to guarantee it's same quality throughout the room and not have some crappy cable causing issues on the switches. I would imagine the cables are already pulled to desks, inside cable bed (plastic tube/pipe to protect the cables) or tied under the top of the desks so people don't step on them.

It would be cheaper for them to buy a spool of 300 meters or so of cable and crimp connectors or sockets near each seat and then give you a 1.5m patch cord ... for example here's a 1$ one : https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9548

11 hours ago, mariushm said:

Are they to poor to make cables for each seat?

I would think they're prefer to control the cabling, to guarantee it's same quality throughout the room and not have some crappy cable causing issues on the switches. I would imagine the cables are already pulled to desks, inside cable bed (plastic tube/pipe to protect the cables) or tied under the top of the desks so people don't step on them.

It would be cheaper for them to buy a spool of 300 meters or so of cable and crimp connectors or sockets near each seat and then give you a 1.5m patch cord ... for example here's a 1$ one : https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9548

Do you see the irony in accusing DreamHack of being too poor to provide cables for everyone, complaining about having to provide your own and then posting an inexpensive cable you found online?  If you found such a good deal on a cable why don’t you just buy a longer one?  Why would you post a 1.5 meter cable? Do you expect there to be a switch every 2 meters?  I don’t think you understand the scale of the event.  There are 590 people, which is 1190 crimped connectors and 1229 feet of cable.  DreamHack has a limited time for them to set it all up and they still have to place a switch within 20 or so feet to every user and set up all the servers and everything else involved with such a large event.  

1 hour ago, BobbyPdue said:

Do you see the irony in accusing DreamHack of being too poor to provide cables for everyone, complaining about having to provide your own and then posting an inexpensive cable you found online?  If you found such a good deal on a cable why don’t you just buy a longer one?  Why would you post a 1.5 meter cable? Do you expect there to be a switch every 2 meters?  I don’t think you understand the scale of the event.  There are 590 people, which is 1190 crimped connectors and 1229 feet of cable.  DreamHack has a limited time for them to set it all up and they still have to place a switch within 20 or so feet to every user and set up all the servers and everything else involved with such a large event.  

I expect them to have one ethernet cable under every desk/seat, with around 2-3 meters of cable loose, so that you can connect the PC to it wherever you actually place the PC on a desk.

Alternatively, maybe they decide to actually place RJ45 sockets on each desk (with double sides adhesive tape or whatever) in which case, they could use a standardized length of patch cord cable for each visitor (1.5m would be enough length) that a person could place the PC on either side of a regular desk and still be able to plug the PC in a RJ45 socket.

Dreamhack is in the business of providing the entertainment, of creating the infrastructure to make such events.

They get paid by Linus to come and do this. They get paid through the tickets you buy as well ... Linus is basically maybe subsidizing the tickets a bit to make the whole event bigger and better so that next year or year after that more people will come and they'll maybe make profit then.

So in order for Dreamhack to have a succesful event and earn their money it's in their interest to control the infrastructure as much as possible - as an employee of theirs I wouldn't want the hassle of every person coming with their own cable, and also having people that come without ethernet cable and then having people complain to Linus because I want to SELL them an ethernet patch cord... you're gonna have to have some cables around to give for free to those folks anyway (because people will complain, why should they buy or "rent" a patch cord from you, isn't the cable included in the ticket price, blah blah)

Yeah, there's 600 people, but Dreamhack are professionals making parties with thousands of computers - in 2016 they had parties with 10k byoc and over 23k devices on the network so 600 seats is nothing for them.

I assume professionals like these come with of fiber and set up 10g/40g/100g between a core router/switch and multiple 24-48+ port switches and then use cheaper ethernet cable to connect tables ... for 600 seats I would imagine a 16-24-48 QSFP+ core switch, then a bunch of 48port 1gbps switches with a 40gbps input port or 4 x 10g ports... they can easily carry a bunch of spools of 300m cat6/cat6 cables , or they can easily have 500pcs of 5m patch cord cable, 500pcs of 10m patch cord cable , 500pcs of 15 m patch cord cable, 25m cable ... basically cables that are factory crimped. Go on any site that has volume pricing and see the discounts and see how cheap they can be. Nobody's gonna bother to crimp cables on site.

When the party's done, they can just throw away cables that have jacks messed up, cables that were stepped on and so on... you're paying tens of dollars on a ticket (or hundreds), they can afford to pay a few dollars for a patch cord cable.

Who’s going to complain to Linus for someone selling cables?  Linus doesn't have time for that kind of BS and unless you are selling $8 patch cables for $50 who cares? 

The list of items people need to bring are located in the FAQ for the event so no one should be surprised by it. 

No one should be complaining about having to provide and dress their own $8 cable when it’s a reasonable thing to ask.  You are already traveling to the venue, providing your own computer, monitor, power cables, video cable, mouse and headset what’s another $8?  They are building an entire network and providing chairs, tables, and power to every user.  $50 over the price of a two day ticket is a bargain for all they are providing

Just game on WiFi! It works for all those russians at Grand Master rank!

...With 500 ping.

/s

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I thought they said that we each get two plugs and and a ethernet cord. Glad I read this, I'll pack one just in case.

15 minutes ago, comander said:

Why not 10KM fiber? SFP can do it.

Nah, not enough bandwidth. Better go with QSFP+

1 minute ago, comander said:

But then you lose a lot of length... 

Not with 40G or 100G-LR optics you don't ;)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, comander said:

But then you lose a lot of length... 

16 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Not with 40G or 100G-LR optics you don't ;)

Imagine that though, just rolling in like "So, where do I hook up?" *Holds up a QSFP+ cable*. Everybody just stares at you.

Then they let you connect to the primary 40G/100G distribution block because it's the only place they have ports for those.

The perfect excuse.