HP Spectre x360 13 gem cut Undervolting - Throttlestop.

I had recently got an HP Spectre x360 13 [gem cut] and noticed, like most everyone, that they do run hot and that their fans kick on immediately. HP Command center does not manage the cpu well, and the windows slider is only alright. Also, when plugged in, it manages to reach 4.2-5 GHz constantly. Wasting potential charge and also making it run incredibly hot. 

The solution I found was with throttlestop. Doing a lot of testing, I ended up not overclocking or using undervolting- but changing the total TPL. 

Throttlestop - TPL - PP0 Current Limit:

I chose 40 as a base for a "performance", but not "overheating" set. It gets up to about 80 degrees celsius running at 4.2 GHz when HP Command is set to recommended, Battery Slider is at high performance, and everything else is enabled. When running a benchmark, it loses NO performance because it doesn't thermal throttle at around 87-90 degrees celsius, though it does power throttle: 2.6-3.5 GHz constant.  Battery life lasted a casual 8-10 hours with this setting. When plugged in or unplugged, it ran the same way- unless you use the windows slider and set to "better battery". [It makes the clock less]. 

I chose 24 as a base for "snappy performance" and "cool comfort" set. It averages 64-70 degrees celsius running at 3.5-4 GHz when everything it set to normal: HP Command set to recommended, battery slider at high performance. When running a benchmark, it actually does a little better at 2.8-3.5GHz constant at around 80-84 degrees celsius. Battery life lasts 12 hours easily for me with this. When plugged in or unplugged, it ran the same way- unless you use the windows slider and set to "better battery". [It makes the clock less]. 

In summary, the best option to keep your HP Spectre x360 13 gem cut cool is to set the Total Power Limit [pp0] to 40 or 24 depending on what you are looking for. 

Testing Summary:
Max Performance: 46 pp0 current limit - 4.3 GHz constant - 3.5 Benchmark 
Max Thermal: 24 pp0 current limit - 3.5 to 4.1 GHz constant - 3.6 Benchmark.
Max medium: 32 pp0 current limit - 4.0 GHz constant - 3.2 Benchmark. 

Hope this helps anyone with an HP Spectre x360 13 gem cut, or maybe even others who think their ultrabook is thermally incapable. 

Why don't just change the turbo ratio limits with undervolt applied. Easier

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Why don't just change the turbo ratio limits with undervolt applied. Easier

Hey. The easiest way I found to manage things was actually this. I can quickly apply a different TPL if need be for something intensive. Though, the method I use helps quite a bit with thermal throttling. 

Anyone can do whatever, but I saw just adjusting that one number to be easiest for me. 

41 minutes ago, OTRENOX said:

Hey. The easiest way I found to manage things was actually this. I can quickly apply a different TPL if need be for something intensive. Though, the method I use helps quite a bit with thermal throttling. 

Anyone can do whatever, but I saw just adjusting that one number to be easiest for me. 

First time seeing ppl doing that. Interesting. Thanks for sharing

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

First time seeing ppl doing that. Interesting. Thanks for sharing

I would like to learn about the turbo ratio though. Never saw that. 

Speaking of undervolting, always bluescreens due to possibly HP management and such. Never saw it as an easy changeable system. 

Do you mind linking me to an explanation of turbo ratio adjusting? That may be what I was looking for, but the TPL management is still a huge boost in battery / thermals. Seems to do the same thing as undervolting for me. 

Edit Because I didn't want to double post;
THANK YOU for the turbo ratio acknowledgment. Exactly what I was looking for, but the TPL management somehow does pull ahead in battery management! I could technically combine them both, but thanks a lot. 

1 minute ago, OTRENOX said:

Do you mind linking me to an explanation of turbo ratio adjusting?

I don't have any links for that. Just lower down the values in turbo ratio limits (FIVR)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

I don't have any links for that. Just lower down the values in turbo ratio limits (FIVR)

Did a bit of research and realized that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much, and it was definitely fun to experiment with TPL if I want to keep the battery life beyond my personal expectations.

I managed to set the boost to 4.0 without it overheating or doing any sort of nonsense. Perfect for if I need to do intensive works. 

Once again, thanks!