Huge list of failure rates on PC components (French, but I translated nearly everything)

hawaiims

Yay! I contributed to the AsRock 990FX Extreme 3 number... A proud RMA recipient... (A bit of an angry one too after it taking 2 months) I'm curious how they got ahold of all these numbers? All of them seem pretty reasonable though. ( Alot are really good & low )

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

you're a good man OP

can you provide the source though?

Error: 410

you're a good man OP

can you provide the source though?

Oops forgot the source... I'll post it right now. Again, the post is still in progress (will probably be done in around half an hour)

Yay! I contributed to the AsRock 990FX Extreme 3 number... A proud RMA recipient... (A bit of an angry one too after it taking 2 months) I'm curious how they got ahold of all these numbers? All of them seem pretty reasonable though. ( Alot are really good & low )

Introduction explains how they got those numbers. Calculations were performed by the website which posted this lengthy article; hardware.fr

I'm always weary of anonymous sources. Although what did surprise me was the really low failure rate of RAM.

I'll post the source right now, I forgot unfortunately and am still in the process of finishing the translation. Retailer is unnamed for obvious reasons (probably an employee that doesn't want to get fired) and the source website (hardware.fr) is a fairly respected source. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

hmmm. either master level troll, or does not know how to put a source.................

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

This is really cool and there's some potential for changing some suggestions of products. Now this is definitely a very interesting really glad to have read this.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

hmmm. either master level troll, or does not know how to put a source.................

source was posted recently, I am still in the process of finishing the translation as noted in OP.

Yep, some of those I can backup

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Well, this is great.

It's funny, we give ASRock crap, but I don't think the price difference and/or feature difference for that price is worth an 0.02% chance increase of failure rate. In other words, I'm willing to buy an ASRock board regardless of that because they tend to be cheaper and more feature heavy. Though some aren't those two things. 

Just avoid those specific motherboards. 

I think the other thing to take away from this is that most manufacturer's failure rates are so close (like with motherboards), that we shouldn't pick manufacturer based on them. They're all pretty great regardless, except for the outliers.

For the GPUs, I wonder why XFX isn't in there. 

Also, please fix the article. It's using black font in some places for Dark Theme users. This means it's very hard to read without highlighting and there's a lot of it.

To fix that, copy the section, then Ctrl + Shift + V paste it, or right click and click "Paste as Plain Text". It will remove all formatting, so you'll have to redo that if you did some (like boldened headlines and such) but it's not that much.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Aw yeah. I have Kingston RAM and a Seagate drive. (The RAM is both overclocked to 1820MHz and undervolted to 1.56v from 1.65 stock :D)

I do have a MSI motherboard with a couple issues though..

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Seems about right. We even get more returns on WD drives over Barracudas and OCZ went bust because of their quality.

Well, this is great.

It's funny, we give ASRock crap, but I don't think the price difference and/or feature difference for that price is worth an 0.02% chance increase of failure rate. In other words, I'm willing to buy an ASRock board regardless of that because they tend to be cheaper and more feature heavy. Though some aren't those two things. 

Just avoid those specific motherboards. 

I think the other thing to take away from this is that most manufacturer's failure rates are so close (like with motherboards), that we shouldn't pick manufacturer based on them. They're all pretty great regardless, except for the outliers.

For the GPUs, I wonder why XFX isn't in there. 

Also, please fix the article. It's using black font in some places for Dark Theme users. This means it's very hard to read without highlighting and there's a lot of it.

To fix that, copy the section, then Ctrl + Shift + V paste it, or right click and click "Paste as Plain Text". It will remove all formatting, so you'll have to redo that if you did some (like boldened headlines and such) but it's not that much.

The reason why manufacturers might not be in there is either that A) XFX does not sell stuff in France B) Particular online vendor from which statistics are pulled does not sell XFX products

This is still a work in progress that I am in the process of updating. I at least changed everything to 14 point Times New Roman so it looks a bit more uniform, and i'll do the whole font color thing as soon as I get the time to do it :)

Seems about right. We even get more returns on WD drives over Barracudas and OCZ went bust because of their quality.

Yeah the numbers seem about right, although there are some surprises. 

Again, we have to keep in mind that all these numbers are according to retailer statistics and therefore the actual failure rates (apart from the exception of Toshiba hard drives) are higher than those reported in this post. 

This is still a work in progress that I am in the process of updating. I at least changed everything to 14 point Times New Roman so it looks a bit more uniform, and i'll do the whole font color thing as soon as I get the time to do it :)

Just an FYI, the font color should be done first, or you will have to redo every other formatting thing again because it will erase it. No, there's no easier way to do it that doesn't reset the formatting for everything else. I've tried. Can't find a thing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just an FYI, the font color should be done first, or you will have to redo every other formatting thing again because it will erase it. No, there's no easier way to do it that doesn't reset the formatting for everything else. I've tried. Can't find a thing.

Hmmmm... is it possible to perhaps set the font color as automatic? or have the Bold and/or highlighted parts as another color people with black themes can read such as red? 

Hmmmm... is it possible to perhaps set the font color as automatic? or have the Bold and/or highlighted parts as another color people with black themes can read such as red? 

Maybe red will work, but automatic never worked for me.

† Christian Member †

dat 52% OCZ octane 

how did that make it passed testing

Error: 410

Most RMAs are the result of stupidity.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

dat 52% OCZ octane 

how did that make it passed testing

Probably a big part of the reason why OCZ went bankrupt. Their Octane and Petrol series were their mainstream lines of SSDs (as opposed to the back then expensive flagship Vertex series) Not to mention that these are just return rates for the retailer. In reality the return rate is probably around 70% or more because of returns to the manufacturer, or even more (because all these numbers in the post only show possible failure between 0 to 365 days of use). They must have lost so much money on them, I have no idea why they didn't just discontinue or stop shipping them as soon as these huge issues came out.

Heck, this whole Petrol and Octane debacle cost OCZ their whole reputation and is probably the reason for their demise. Even though OCZ used to be a respected and also the largest consumer SSD brand and they fixed their issues now , people are now associating OCZ with unreliable and almost no one buys their SSDs anymore. 

Excellent Thread!

I, unfortunately, fell victim to 2x 128gb OCZ Petrol drives.

RMA'd them and got 2x Brand New Vertex 4's, they have been working great ever since!

CPU: Intel 875k @ 4Ghz, Motherboard: Asus P7P55DE Pro, RAM:8gb Corsair Dominator, GPU: ASUS GTX 660ti SLI, Case: Corsair 600T (Graphite), Storage:120gb OCZ Vertex 4/1 TB WD Black, PSU: 850W Corsair 80+ Gold, Displays: 2x ASUS 23in 1080p 120hz Cooling: Corsair H100i, Mouse/Keyboard: Razer Death Adder & Razer Black Widow, Speakers: Corsair SP2500

But isn't this because people buy more WD than Seagate?

It's the same with PSUs. It's no miracle that the top most returned PSUs are Corsair because they are also the top most bought PSUs.

I think this article is highly questionable. Except the percentage numbers ofc, those must be viewed differently.

who cares...

But isn't this because people buy more WD than Seagate?

It's the same with PSUs. It's no miracle that the top most returned PSUs are Corsair because they are also the top most bought PSUs.

I think this article is highly questionable. Except the percentage numbers ofc, those must be viewed differently.

No - we sell about 50/50 WD's vs Seagate at work yet we still get more WD's coming back to us. I've also seen a school that had about a 12% defect rate on non-user error issues with WD 2.5" 320GB Blues.

WD fans in shame. Seagate rejoice

Frenando II/Grease Lightning and His Perpherials

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz | MSI Z77A-G45 | Gigabyte 7950 WF3 Crossfire | G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB 2133Mhz  | CM HAF 922 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | 120GB Kingston HyperX | Corsair TX750 | X-Star DP2710 + 34UM95 | CM Hyper 212 EVO + LOTS 'O FANS | CM Storm QuickFire Pro | Logitech G502| Fiio E17 | Sennhieser HD 600 and CX 985

My issue with all of this data is that it isn't clear what the percentages are weighted against. Are they weighted against eachother or number of units sold?

For instance, how many people/OEMs are using Corsair PSUs compared to Cooler Master units? More units = higher % failiure rate.