Displays with MORE THAN 240HZ??????

Rxd

It has always bothered me why those don't exist. Is it a physical limitation or the assumption that "no one can see more than 240hz" ? Because even though use cases are extremely limited, they exist - simple example is CS:GO where you can get way over 400fps with 2080ti and 9900k!

i can get 900fps in CS:GO with worse specs at 1080p but whatever. anyway i hardly notice the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz, the frame times are already super tiny with a 240Hz display so i dont think there is much of a point going further. The largest jumps are 30 to 60 and 60 to 75+, those really make a difference

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Rxd said:

It has always bothered me why those don't exist. Is it a physical limitation or the assumption that "no one can see more than 240hz" ? Because even though use cases are extremely limited, they exist - simple example is CS:GO where you can get way over 400fps with 2080ti and 9900k!

The tech isn’t there yet. 

Although DisplayPort 2.0 allows for up to 1,000Hz - that’s due end of next year.  

I guess everyone’s different. 

I can see the difference between 144 and 240. 

Others can’t. 

But, from the report BlurBusters did, Humans can perceive the difference up to the 1,000Hz mark at least. 

I think in the next 5-10 years, we will see 480Hz screens. 

Especially when MicroLED Matures. 

OLED has very, very low response times, like 0.1-0.3ms so it’s completely possible to do up to 1,000Hz and MicroLED will be the same. 

@Bananasplit_00 I meant average fps but yeah got you, I just don't get why someone don't make one so we can see at least!

2 minutes ago, Rxd said:

@Bananasplit_00 I meant average fps but yeah got you, I just don't get why someone don't make one so we can see at least!

you can just buy a panel and a controller and make one yourself if you are so frame desperate or drop resolution to like 480p and overclock whatever you have

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A small OLED exists that refreshes at something like 500hz+, but you start running into limitations in switching speed.

There's a 480Hz prototype monitor, but yeah, would need to have such consistent framerate anyway. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

^

https://www.blurbusters.com/480hz-monitor-at-blur-busters-being-tested/

The reason there isn't anything on the market is because it's an imperceptible difference at this point, hells 240hz is far more gimmick than anything already... frametimes are far too narrow.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

17 hours ago, Rxd said:

LCD technology can not even handle 144hz let alone 240hz, so going any higher is pointless.

LCD pixels simply cannot, at this time, change fast enough to keep up with higher frequencies.

Even the 144hz monitors technically dont have fast enough pixel response times to keep up with the refresh frequency. Dispite their advertised specs of 1ms on TN panels, its a half truth as it represent a cherry picked figure from a test that does not represent the true maximum response time, but rather a average response time of a specific transition.

At 144hz the pixel have to have a MAXIMUM response speed of 6.9ms. Currently i know of no LCD monitor that can do this. Most which have an AVERAGE below that number also have maximums well above it, which means certain pixel transitions are to slow to keep up and thus will result in bluring and ghosting.

Note we are only talking about LCD here, not OLED, which is fast enough to handle up to 500hz bassed on current 55" OLED TV's that have a MAXIMUM response time of 2.4ms (~500hz capable), and an average below 0.2ms (~5000hz capable)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |