High CPU usage on Steam Downloads

I noticed that when I am downloading a new game on Steam, my CPU usage will be between 50-80% usage. For reference, I have an i7-5820k @ 4.4Ghz, and an internet speed of 400 Mbps (megabits, not bytes). Why does a simple task such as downloading/installing a game push my CPU so hard? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (liquid cooled) GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra non-LHR MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 (2x16GB) PSU: Corsair HX1200i (overkill yes, but was free!) Storage: 1 TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe, 2TB XPG SX8100 NVMe, 4TB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSDs, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (with upgraded USB-C front panel) Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio Liquid Cooling parts: EK Supremacy Classic RGB AMD Nickel+Plexi, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump), 2x EK 240mm PE radiator, EK Duraclear clear tubing

16 minutes ago, SirBilliam said:

I noticed that when I am downloading a new game on Steam, my CPU usage will be between 50-80% usage. For reference, I have an i7-5820k @ 4.4Ghz, and an internet speed of 400 Mbps (megabits, not bytes). Why does a simple task such as downloading/installing a game push my CPU so hard? 

The files are encrypted, so Steam has to decrypt and verify them on-the-fly as they're being downloaded.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

In this case most of the time its not as simple as just downloading, many games on steam are pretty heavy compressed, so you Steam decompresses the download stream while downloading, so installing the game is faster after downloading.

LTT Video where the download is capped by the CPU and not the connection:

Downloading Games at 10 GIGABIT?

On 7/14/2019 at 2:36 AM, WereCatf said:

The files are encrypted, so Steam has to decrypt and verify them on-the-fly as they're being downloaded.

On 7/14/2019 at 2:37 AM, Chaftalie said:

In this case most of the time its not as simple as just downloading, many games on steam are pretty heavy compressed, so you Steam decompresses the download stream while downloading, so installing the game is faster after downloading.

LTT Video where the download is capped by the CPU and not the connection:

Downloading Games at 10 GIGABIT?

Thank you both for your input. Cheers!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (liquid cooled) GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra non-LHR MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 (2x16GB) PSU: Corsair HX1200i (overkill yes, but was free!) Storage: 1 TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe, 2TB XPG SX8100 NVMe, 4TB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSDs, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (with upgraded USB-C front panel) Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio Liquid Cooling parts: EK Supremacy Classic RGB AMD Nickel+Plexi, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump), 2x EK 240mm PE radiator, EK Duraclear clear tubing