Problems with Timelapses in Davnici Resolve

I have been using Davinci Resolve for a while now and I never notice any performance issues until I try and do a timelapse with the clip speed editor. My main theory is that since I record in 60 fps, when I do a 1000% speed boost that's 600 frames per second and that's too much for my computer but I'm not sure. My main questions is is there a way to make it so I can actually do timelapses without them being so slow that they are normal speed? If there was a way to edit the clip back to 60 fps after adjusting the speed or a way of just fixing it another way that would be very appreciated. Thank you so much! Sorry if I'm really stupid.

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

I have been using Davinci Resolve for a while now and I never notice any performance issues until I try and do a timelapse with the clip speed editor. My main theory is that since I record in 60 fps, when I do a 1000% speed boost that's 600 frames per second and that's too much for my computer but I'm not sure. My main questions is is there a way to make it so I can actually do timelapses without them being so slow that they are normal speed? If there was a way to edit the clip back to 60 fps after adjusting the speed or a way of just fixing it another way that would be very appreciated. Thank you so much! Sorry if I'm really stupid.

I'm not sure exactly what steps you're doing, but I use DaVinci Resolve.

If I take a clip, drop it onto a 60 fps timeline, and then use the retime controls to bump the speed to 1000%, it will shorten the clip appropriately. If your computer has a problem playing back the footage, use the "create optimized media" option in whatever editor you're using.

Once you've added the clip and retimed it, just make sure your export settings are at 60fps before you send the clip to render.

The issue with playing back footage that has been sped up significantly is with storage access speed, it needs to read the file that many times faster. You may notice a significant boost in performance by using an SSD.

Nothing you do, however, will make it perfectly smooth from my experience. My theory is that if you are using media with IPB or IPP compression (not all frames are the same, I think there's a techquickie on it), it still has to read multiple frames to get the data for each of the frames that appear in the timelapse, so performance is likely to stay laggy. The reason I have this theory is that I haven't seen as much of a slowdown speeding up media transcoded to prores or DNX, or all-I H264 media.

Regardless, from my experience realtime playback of any timelapse is futile, and it needs to be pre-rendered.

The way to make it playback nicely is to render out the clip. There are several ways to do this:

- You can cache your whole timeline, it's an option in the playback settings, it will act like final cut and prerender for playback (I keep render cache on smart)

- You can render just the timelapse clip by right clicking, clicking render optimized media

- You can export just the time-lapse clip and replace it (export, individual clips, select the timelapse).

Any of these 3 will give you perfectly smooth playback of the timelapse.

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.18.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.18.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.19.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 9.19.51 PM.png