YouTuber JackFrags explains the situation with EA/YouTubers

YouTuber JackFrags, who was involved in the "EA paying youtubers to talk positively about BF4" scandal has published a video today explaining that some of the accusations are just plain wrong, and others were valid, and explains the facts:

Basically:

• They were not paid not to say anything negative about the game until 29th November, and that rumour is completely false
  • The FTC has said that there will be no sanctions for the non-disclosure of information
  • The program, ronku, simply requires the youtubers to make up to 3 videos which show off the levelution in the game and not to focus on bugs (they could even mention them as long as it was not the focus of the video)
  • The videos that were uploaded to his channel would have been made and published anyway, whether EA had paid him or not, and the content would have been the same
  • The T&Cs of the program have now changed to say that channels are required to say (in the video or description) that it is sponsored by EA, otherwise it is rejected
  • No BF4 content released before the 29th October 2013 was paid, and any positive impressions in those or any other videos (including during the promotion period) were his own, truthful opinions, which were not affected by any money that may or may not have changed hands

I personally feel that this is fair enough, and while it would have been nice for him not to have needed to make that video, I understand his position, and would probably have done the same thing if I was in his position. Moreover, none of the other channels that have been accused have made a video apologizing (as of 21:30 UTC on 28th Jan 14) (EDIT: apparently other channels (levelcap) have made posts on reddit - see below), which tells you something about their respect for the community.

Edited by colonel_mortis

HTTP/2 203

LevelCap explains the situation here as well.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I'm very wary of anyone who makes a living exclusively off of their youtube publishings. 

So is he invalidating the source material for the original claims against EA?

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

I'm very wary of anyone who makes a living exclusively off of their youtube publishings. 

So is he invalidating the source material for the original claims against EA?

Not really, most of it is true, but the bit about not mentioning anything bad about the game (or at least bugs) is apparently completely untrue. The rest of it is more or less correct, but has been taken way too far.

HTTP/2 203

FrankieOnPC is my favorite youtuber along with OwnagePranks and Gamesprout :)

Frankie is so funny! You should check out Doom49 too! The man with the best laugh!

Even if they were to mention the bugs and shortcomings of them game, and also with all the facepalming and general dislike with EA, people are still going to flock like sheeps and buy their games. Those shouting in digust with EA business practice in this odd event are just bunch of hypocrites.

Yeah, damn hype train.

"So buying it...Hype Hype Hype"

Footage, YAY Hype Hype Hype

Beta - Plays shit, but OMFG I love this game, so buying it!!!

Months later..

Bloody youtubers being shills, selling me out, I bought this game on their word... they owe me the world, I'm just a poor guy who did no wrong doing, their at fault.

Yeah right.....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not really, most of it is true, but the bit about not mentioning anything bad about the game (or at least bugs) is apparently completely untrue. The rest of it is more or less correct, but has been taken way too far.

Not one them mentioned mentioned bugs during the agreement period.

All of them had their noses a mile up EA and DICES rear ends for months leading up to release of BF4.

Not one them mentioned mentioned bugs during the agreement period.

All of them had their noses a mile up EA and DICES rear ends for months leading up to release of BF4.

I guess you didn't watch the video then.

There were several videos released by JF before the 29th which were critical of the bugs, and before that, the game truely seemed good, with all of the bugs (of which there weren't a huge number because they only played for ~45 minutes per event) being put down to pre(alpha/beta/release) code, and assurances from the devs that the issues were being fixed by release. And it's stupid to talk about bugs in a prerelease build of a game because they are inevitable.

Please, please, before making a comment like that, just watch the video. I know it's long, but basically the 2nd half is just him rambling on, admittedly with some important details in.

HTTP/2 203

I guess you didn't watch the video then.

I've watched enough to see that all these guys are in damage control mode.

The one thing about EA is they are extremely vengeful when it comes to receiving bad reviews especially if they've given you anything.

EA is on record as stating that they WILL yank advertising from magazines and websites that don't give them scores they like

EA BANNED several BF community members accounts [All games] after they gave poor reviews of Bad Company 2 after they were invited to EA's offices in Los Angeles

that ban was overturned after the community flipped out and they got bad press for it.