Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

The Smallest No-Compromises Laptop

Recommended Posts

Such a niche laptop...why's it so much tho?

 

 

Like, we have other niche products that don't charge a premium.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Lexmark IBM Model M, terminal, internally converted to USB Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Like, we have other niche products that don't charge a premium.

It depends on the niche.


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It depends on the niche.

A phone with a BUILT-IN PROJECTOR

 

I'd say more people would use a mini laptop than a phone with a projector, but idk


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Lexmark IBM Model M, terminal, internally converted to USB Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

“No compromises”

762D4A04-3812-4EE1-AD4B-7047E405C5C0.jpeg.ab4765b01481fdf389815418dd7730a5.jpeg


I like to help. Be warned, I probably don't have your exact hardware and thus, my responses may not be 100% accurate.

Main Rig: i5-4460, EVGA GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD

Other Tech: Late 2015 12" MacBook, iPhone XS 64GB, Nintendo 3DS XL (Snapped), Apple Watch Series 2, Airpods, Nintendo Switch, Retro Consoles, Vizio 32" Smart TV

Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest benefit for speed and smoothness is that M.2 NVMe SSD. My ASUS Transformer moves like a turd just because it runs from eMMC which as we all know is always slow as hell. Even crappy Atom Z8350 isn't really a problem as much as that eMMC storage. If I only had M.2 SATA SSD and it'd be thrilled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How was 4k video playback using so little cpu power? My cpu usage went from ~5% to ~50% when watching the 4k video in firefox on my 4core/4thread 6600k

Link to post
Share on other sites

This shows promise except that I'm hesitant backing any campaign. I think it's time for GPD to get away from crowd funding and commit to retail. The company has successfully crowd sourced more than one product already. The engineering, R&D, tooling+manufacturing, parts sourcing, PR/marketing etc. is already in place for them. If they still need to be raising money to cover their cash flow then either they are being misleading about their cost, they are not confident in their product or they need a better way to figure out demand and consumer interest. It's one thing to generate hype and another to bring to market a supported product.

 

Back to the topic though, the elephant in the room here is the Surface GO. This really needs to be put up against it for a fair comparison in my opinion, and I don't mean Windows 10 S versus regular Windows or the price difference between the two units. Real world tests like web browsing, using office, watching a movie streaming over wifi, Skype calling (I really hate Skype lately), external connectivity and display quality. Those are the things that would be important for folks looking to get serious use out of it. Then you can compare battery life, thermals, noise, size and weight.

 

I feel this needs a follow-up video. How about it Linus?

Link to post
Share on other sites

does it have a touchscreen? Linus didn't mention if it did... 


iPhone 7 | 128GB | iOS 13

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 | i5 3210M | HD4000 | 16GB RAM | 500 GB SSD | macOS Catalina

PC: Core i3 8100 | RX460 | 290X | Asus Prime Z370-P | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | 16GB RAM | 2x256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Linus, what USB-C hub do you use? I need one for my laptop!


Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

 

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

 

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

 

Motherboard Tier List

Spoiler

 

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phones: iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 6s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 3GS x2. Lots more in parts.

 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Twilight said:

does it have a touchscreen? Linus didn't mention if it did... 

It does, according to the Indiegogo.


Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

 

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

 

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

 

Motherboard Tier List

Spoiler

 

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phones: iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 6s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 3GS x2. Lots more in parts.

 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poochyena said:

How was 4k video playback using so little cpu power? My cpu usage went from ~5% to ~50% when watching the 4k video in firefox on my 4core/4thread 6600k

Sounds like your HW-accelerated decoding might not be working correctly. My 8700k clocks all the way down to 1GHz and uses ~3% when watching 4K, for example, with the GPU-decoder showing about 35% usage.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Linus thinks 16:10 aspect ratio in good but still uses crappy 4:3 in his videos.  So those that buy the GPD P2 Max and watch LTT would use less then 60% of the screen.  Nice!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luscious said:

This shows promise except that I'm hesitant backing any campaign. I think it's time for GPD to get away from crowd funding and commit to retail. The company has successfully crowd sourced more than one product already. The engineering, R&D, tooling+manufacturing, parts sourcing, PR/marketing etc. is already in place for them. If they still need to be raising money to cover their cash flow then either they are being misleading about their cost, they are not confident in their product or they need a better way to figure out demand and consumer interest. It's one thing to generate hype and another to bring to market a supported product.

 

Back to the topic though, the elephant in the room here is the Surface GO. This really needs to be put up against it for a fair comparison in my opinion, and I don't mean Windows 10 S versus regular Windows or the price difference between the two units. Real world tests like web browsing, using office, watching a movie streaming over wifi, Skype calling (I really hate Skype lately), external connectivity and display quality. Those are the things that would be important for folks looking to get serious use out of it. Then you can compare battery life, thermals, noise, size and weight.

 

I feel this needs a follow-up video. How about it Linus?

They do retail sales too. You can buy the pocket 2 on amazon currently for example. They are one of those companies that uses crowd funding for promotion and as a pre order system. If you want to pay retail price you can or you can preorder and save 100+ bucks.

 

As for the surface go. That is a much slower device. Yeah they are both 2 core 4 thread parts but the surface has a pentium. That means no turbo boost so 1.6ghz is all you get. I have a passively cooled device with a core m and even under a sustained heavy load it is 1+ ghz over it's base clock. you are talking about roughly halving cpu performance. The surface also maxes out at 8gb of ram and eMMC storage that maxes out at 128gb. Oh and the surface has basically no io other then its single type c port. Its not really a comparable device imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the different between netbook and laptop?

If they are not the same, why not compare that with the same screen size laptop.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kroon said:

So Linus thinks 16:10 aspect ratio in good but still uses crappy 4:3 in his videos.  So those that buy the GPD P2 Max and watch LTT would use less then 60% of the screen.  Nice!

He does not shoot in 4:3, he shoots in (I believe) 18:9, which on a 16:9 display leaves small black bars which allow the YouTube interface to appear on hover without obstructing the video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Age of 9394 said:

What is the different between netbook and laptop?

If they are not the same, why not compare that with the same screen size laptop.

 

Netbooks are a sub category of laptop. Generally speaking it is a small (sub 13 inch) cheap laptop with an atom class processor. They were all the rage a number of years ago before mostly disappearing because they are pretty crap. The modern equivalent would be a chrome book which are generally much better devices because cheap low power cpus have improved a lot and chrome os is much lighter weight then vista or windows 7 were when netbooks peaked in terms of popularity.

 

EDIT: The asus line of EEE PC machines were a pretty common example. They were also known for having really good battery life for the time. Like 10 hours.

 

81g8S-LWXoL._SL1500_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

He does not shoot in 4:3, he shoots in (I believe) 18:9, which on a 16:9 display leaves small black bars which allow the YouTube interface to appear on hover without obstructing the video.

 

No clue what they are recording at but they release videos at 3840×2160 witch is 4:3.  If you have a 1920X1080 (16:9 screen) you will only get 1920X960, loosing 11% of the horizontal.  But that is 16:9, the screen in this example was 16:10 so you will loose even more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kroon said:

 

No clue what they are recording at but they release videos at 3840×2160 witch is 4:3.  If you have a 1920X1080 (16:9 screen) you will only get 1920X960, loosing 11% of the horizontal.  But that is 16:9, the screen in this example was 16:10 so you will loose even more.

What on earth are you talking about. 3840 by 2160 is 4k. It is a 16 by 9 aspect ratio. Besides the whole point of 16:10 is that the additional height is better for things like document creation/viewing and web browsing. It has always been worse for video.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kroon said:

 

No clue what they are recording at but they release videos at 3840×2160 witch is 4:3.  If you have a 1920X1080 (16:9 screen) you will only get 1920X960, loosing 11% of the horizontal.  But that is 16:9, the screen in this example was 16:10 so you will loose even more.

 

3840*2160 is 16:9. 

 

I watch LTT videos on an iPad (which is a 4:3 display) and they definitely don’t take up the whole screen.

16:9/16:10 makes little difference in videos, I used a 16:10 display for years as my primary next to a 16:9 and the difference is noticeable, but negligible,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×