Is it the right moment to upgrade my i7-4790K ?

22 minutes ago, asand1 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

Here is a list of VRM capabilities and BIOS flash buttons. MSI seems to be leader in B450 at least.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450M-TITANIUM-Motherboard-Processors/dp/B07FQCSVYC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450M+Mortar+[Titanium]&qid=1562949014&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7B90-001R-B450M-Bazooka-Motherboard/dp/B07FP1159N/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450M+Bazooka+Plus&qid=1562948978&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/dp/B07FP11742/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=B450+Tomahawk&qid=1562949083&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.de/MSI-B450-Tomahawk-Sockel-Mainboard/dp/B07FQ9ZJD9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450 Tomahawk&qid=1562949707&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=linustechti02-21

These are the available motherboards from MSI on Amazon UK (From the list you gave me) that support BIOS flash without CPU. Considering the MSI X570 Gaming Plus is about 185GBP, I can save a decent amount of money by picking any of these mobos mentioned above ... Which one would you recommend me for the 3700X and Corsair Vengeance Pro memory ? I would pick the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC but it has only 5 USB ports on the back and I need 6 :(....

1 minute ago, uriel250 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450M-TITANIUM-Motherboard-Processors/dp/B07FQCSVYC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450M+Mortar+[Titanium]&qid=1562949014&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7B90-001R-B450M-Bazooka-Motherboard/dp/B07FP1159N/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450M+Bazooka+Plus&qid=1562948978&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/dp/B07FP11742/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=B450+Tomahawk&qid=1562949083&s=gateway&sr=8-3

These are the available motherboards from MSI on Amazon UK (From the list you gave me) that support BIOS flash without CPU. Considering the MSI X570 Gaming Plus is about 185GBP, I can save a decent amount of money by picking any of these mobos mentioned above ... Which one would you recommend me for the 3700X and Corsair Vengeance Pro memory ? I would pick the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC but it has only 5 USB ports on the back and I need 6 :(....

if you need more than 5 usb ports get something like a external hub or an add in pcie card

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

9 minutes ago, Gegger said:

if you need more than 5 usb ports get something like a external hub or an add in pcie card

This one has 7 ports ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450M-TITANIUM-Motherboard-Processors/dp/B07FQCSVYC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450M Mortar [Titanium]&qid=1562949014&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=linustechtips-21
It does support BIOS upgrade without CPU too.

What about the VRMs ? And do I lose anything from taking B450 over X570 ? Like precision boost 2 or other performance issues ?

The only bad thing about this mobo is that it is small (It will look small in my 780T Corsair case) and all white (My PC is black and red) I will have to change the red leds inside my case to white ... but thats not a big issue if this mobo will perform good, I will also save 85GBP compared to X570 board which is a great save for me :D
Here is another option from the list of supported mobos with BIOS upgrade on the go without CPU - 
https://www.amazon.de/MSI-B450-Tomahawk-Sockel-Mainboard/dp/B07FQ9ZJD9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450+Tomahawk&qid=1562949707&s=gateway&sr=8-1

From the two above which one would you take ? Looking at more reliable parts like better PCB, VRMs, chokes, capacitors, and of course better support for RAMs and SSDs, etc ...

6 minutes ago, uriel250 said:

This one has 7 ports ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450M-TITANIUM-Motherboard-Processors/dp/B07FQCSVYC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450M Mortar [Titanium]&qid=1562949014&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=linustechtips-21
It does support BIOS upgrade without CPU too.

What about the VRMs ? And do I lose anything from taking B450 over X570 ? Like precision boost 2 or other performance issues ?

The only bad thing about this mobo is that it is small (It will look small in my 780T Corsair case) and all white (My PC is black and red) I will have to change the red leds inside my case to white ... but thats not a big issue if this mobo will perform good, I will also save 85GBP compared to X570 board which is a great save for me :D
Here is another option from the list of supported mobos with BIOS upgrade on the go without CPU - 
https://www.amazon.de/MSI-B450-Tomahawk-Sockel-Mainboard/dp/B07FQ9ZJD9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B450+Tomahawk&qid=1562949707&s=gateway&sr=8-1

From the two above which one would you take ? Looking at more reliable parts like better PCB, VRMs, chokes, capacitors, and of course better support for RAMs and SSDs, etc ...

i'm not too good with VRM stuff and other performance stuff, so idk which one to choose

about amd loaning an athlon processor for bios update, it looks like it's supported worldwide, here's the link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Just now, Gegger said:

i'm not too good with VRM stuff and other performance stuff, so idk which one to choose

about amd loaning an athlon processor for bios update, it looks like it's supported worldwide, here's the link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

I found the LPX one at Amazon de for cheaper than the Pro RGB
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01ARHF6Z4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&th=1
Is there any difference in ICs because the Pro RGB costs 25 euros more than the LPX ?
And do I lose anything from taking B450 over X570 ? Like precision boost 2 or other performance issues ?

Seems a bit late on the upgrade honestly. 

If you dont want amd, 9900k is a great choice. Which I did that myself given the price now. 

No reason to suffer with that 4790k anymore. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, uriel250 said:

Like which general X570/Zen2 problems ?

destiny 2 won't launch, random problems with certain nvidia cards, things like that.

1 hour ago, uriel250 said:

And isn't the vengeance pro has better ICs for Ryzen compared to regular Vengeance ?

afaik same ic, or at least similar

If I may join, I have a slightly different question. I'm planning to upgrade my almost 5 year old rig. It also runs a i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz (stock) with 16GB RAM and a Windforce GTX980 on a 1080p@144Hz BenQ G-sync monitor. I want to upgrade to a 1440p@90+fps G-sync. I'm willing to lower graphics settings in-game to achieve higher frames (generally high settings, don't need ultra). So I was thinking that a RTX2070 (Super) would be sufficient.

Question is, would I need a CPU upgrade if I do like 90% gaming and 10% workbench? My CPU doesn't seem to bottleneck my current setup, but can hit peaks of 90% during some heavy load instances. However my pc doesn't seem to become any less responsive, at least not significant. I was thinking of an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X for the decent price and I would like to give AMD a chance again because I used to run a Athlon XII (that thing was amazing). However benchmarks don't show a very significant increase in fps for the extra investment.

What are your thoughts? I'm not the kinda guy that goes RTX2080 Ti with a 9900K and do hella overclocking. Generally just let the boosting do its work and prefer stable high fps over extremely fancy graphics.

"You either die a noob. Or live long enough to be called a hacker"

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

On 7/12/2019 at 7:54 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Seems a bit late on the upgrade honestly. 

If you dont want amd, 9900k is a great choice. Which I did that myself given the price now. 

No reason to suffer with that 4790k anymore. 

9900K is a great choice for an addition of 150$ and 1-3% performance boost at most ? Not worth in my opinion.

I think will go with the 3700X + B450 Gaming Plus MSI + 32GB of corsair memory, best combo for the $$$.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:22 PM, LukeSavenije said:

afaik same ic, or at least similar

Last questions before I place the order ..

I buy the 3700X (3800X not worth the addition, right ?) along with MSI B450 Gaming Plus and Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB RED 3200MHz CL16, will the memory work at it's full potential without having to tweak anything ? Because I heard only B-Die is recommended for Ryzen ...