Is it the right moment to upgrade my i7-4790K ?

I wanted to upgrade my CPU a few months ago to the 9900K but people told me to wait for Zen 2, so here we are, Zen 2 was finally released and I want to make a decision.

The reason for the upgrade is sometimes when I run many programs and games and chrome tabs and music in background, my CPU gets to 80-100% (Especially in GTA V and BF V) and also when I start my PC it takes a few minutes till I can use it because the CPU is maxed out at 100% while loading all the programs like steam, origin, Nod32, etc ... I want my PC to feel more smooth so I think it is time to upgrade.

My current PC:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (4.6GHz @ 1.3V)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (3x NF-A15)
RAM: 32GB 1600 MHz (HyperX Savage)
System: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Graphics Card: GALAX RTX 2080 EX
Solid State Drive: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 PCIe + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital Black 2TB
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Power Supply: Seasonic G-650 650Watts
Case & Case Fans: Corsair 780T Full Tower Red and Black (4x Noctua NF-S12A, 3x Corsair AF140)
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 3

I mainly use my PC for heavy multitasking (Many programs run in background and many chrome tabs as mentioned above) and gaming (GTA V, CSGO, LEAGUE OF LEGENDS, FORTNITE, BF V), because I want to "feel" the upgrade I will go with the 3700X instead of 3600X which is cheaper and may still fit for purpose.

Since I don't have previous AMD build I will have to buy X570 mobo because I don't want to deal with BIOS updates when I don't have a compatible CPU to upgrade the mobo.

Here are the parts I am going to purchase (Even though I had bad experience with MSI motherboards in the past - this is the cheapest board I could find at Amazon UK).

Please tell me if they will all fit together, especially the RAM with the MOBO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SYSXQSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GSKGSM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-3700X-Processor-Cache/dp/B07SXMZLPK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=3700X&qid=1562944892&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I'm going to upgrade just these three parts, and will keep my SSDs, HDDs, Case and case fans, GPU, CPU Cooler, and Power supply. My rig is 4.5 years old except the PSU which is 3.5 years old, is it okay to keep the PSU or should I buy something newer ?

And what do you think about the motherboard and RAM that I picked ?

One more question, when will DDR5 will be released to consumers ? I don't think I will wait till then, because if I will keep waiting for new stuff I won't ever buy new hardware.

Last question, will I have compatibility issues with my MOBO and RAM and my Samsung 950 Pro ? This SSD is quite old and one of the first NVME SSDs.

Thanks in advance for the help !!

the psu is fine because you had it for only 3 year

I'd personally swap it to a prime-p, buy cheaper ram and keep it on the 3700x

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

the psu is fine because you had it for only 3 year

I'd personally swap it to a prime-p, buy cheaper ram and keep it on the 3700x

The RAM is actually one of the cheapest I could find on Amazon UK ... Mobo I could go with X470 but I dont think I can upgrade BIOS without gen1 or 2 CPU ?

And I heard there are issues with MSI's X570 boards, is it right ?

1 minute ago, uriel250 said:

The RAM is actually one of the cheapest I could find on Amazon UK ... Mobo I could go with X470 but I dont think I can upgrade BIOS without gen1 or 2 CPU ?

If you do go with an X470 mobo which if you went with you could contact AMD to get an athlon CPU to flash the bios of a motherboard, I believe they still do that I might be wrong tho. If you don't want to bother having to possibly do that go with a decently priced X570 board.

This cpu is still very good, i don't think you need to upgrade yet.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Beastly710 said:

If you do go with an X470 mobo which if you went with you could contact AMD to get an athlon CPU to flash the bios of a motherboard, I believe they still do that I might be wrong tho. If you don't want to bother having to possibly do that go with a decently priced X570 board.

I live in Israel that is gonna take a while till it arrives I believe so that is not an option for me ?

Just now, Constantin said:

This cpu is still very good, i don't think you need to upgrade yet.

With what he was stating with his decreased performance and increased startup times of his PC due to the CPU being used 100%, i think it's time to retire the old devils canyon chip in 2019 for something more powerful. 

1 minute ago, uriel250 said:

I live in Israel that is gonna take a while till it arrives I believe so that is not an option for me ?

Well i would start by searching if said motherboard is compatible out of the box with Zen 2.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

I’d get a TUF X570, those are quite nice for X570.

I am looking for the cheapest mobo available on Amazon UK which is the MSI I attached above, is it a bad mobo ? Because in the past I had bad experience with MSI ... I hope they improved.

1 minute ago, Beastly710 said:

Well i would start by searching if said motherboard is compatible out of the box with Zen 2.

Yeah the MSI board I attached above should work with Zen 2, but look what I wrote above^

6 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

you can update the bios without a cpu if it has a button for bios flashing, you can see whether it has it or not on the manifacturer's site

Almost NONE of the motherboards listed on Amazon UK (B450/X470/X570) has this option ...

6 minutes ago, uriel250 said:

The RAM is actually one of the cheapest I could find on Amazon UK

yeah, but ebuyer has regular vengeance for 144,47

see this pcpartpicker link

10 minutes ago, uriel250 said:

Mobo I could go with X470 but I dont think I can upgrade BIOS without gen1 or 2 CPU ?

yep, but you can always order a bootkit from amd, which you get refunded after return

keep in mind those are all in beta stage tho

11 minutes ago, uriel250 said:

nothing msi specific that I've heard of, just general x570/zen2 problems

1 hour ago, Beastly710 said:

With what he was stating with his decreased performance and increased startup times of his PC due to the CPU being used 100%, i think it's time to retire the old devils canyon chip in 2019 for something more powerful. 

For 1080p it is still good, above that you are correct 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yep, but you can always order a bootkit from amd, which you get refunded after return

Like which general X570/Zen2 problems ?

And isn't the vengeance pro has better ICs for Ryzen compared to regular Vengeance ?

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

For 1080p it is still good, above that you are correct 

I play at 1440P/144Hz on an Acer XB271HU

1 hour ago, uriel250 said:

I play at 1440P/144Hz on an Acer XB271HU

Well there is no way to get those numbers with this CPU.... :)

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Well there is no way to get those numbers with this CPU.... :)

Actually 1440P put less workload on the CPU but more the GPU, but I still get my CPU maxed out when playing BF V and GTA V, GTA V runs at just 70-80FPS and my GPU at 40-50% while CPU 90-100% ...

I will wait another week till all Ryzen issues are resolved, have you heard about X570/Zen 2 issues as mentioned above by LukeSavenije ? 

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Oh, that vengeance LPX does not ship to Israel ... I guess I will have to buy the vengeance pro RGB anyway ...

1 hour ago, uriel250 said:

I will wait another week till all Ryzen issues are resolved, have you heard about X570/Zen 2 issues as mentioned above by LukeSavenije ? 

I don't want anything to do with AMD  :)

5 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I don't want anything to do with AMD  :)

Oh well I just realized you're running an intel rig.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

Here is a list of VRM capabilities and BIOS flash buttons. MSI seems to be leader in B450 at least.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

5 minutes ago, asand1 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

Here is a list of VRM capabilities and BIOS flash buttons. MSI seems to be leader in B450 at least.

Thanks for the list, in case I find any of the B450 motherboards (that can have their BIOS upgraded without CPU) on Amazon UK would you recommend me pick one of them instead of the X570 ?

For now anyway I cancelled my order on Amazon UK and will wait a week or two for all of the new gen issues to be solved ... with games, windows, and bios ... every other day we hear about another issue ...

I went with the MSI B450 A Pro over the x570 boards because of the insane prices, the flag back button, and the vrm cooling.

I would recommend 450 as long as you get the button, at least 6 phase vrm, and vrm heat sinks.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430