Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Radiolint

Weird display glitch driving me insane

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have an alienware aw3418dw, a 34 inch 1440p ultra wide that I absolutely despise. If you're thinking about buying one don't. It's been a terrible monitor, with even worse dell support.

The glitch it's now having is, if I have the monitor on displaying my desktop or something, if I turn the monitor off, when I turn it back on again it won't display anything. Also, if I turn my pc on BEFORE I turn my monitor on, it won't display anything either. 

I've literally never seen anything like this before. Any ideas? 

Have you considered RMA'ing the display?

The AW3418DW is a fantastic display, I think you just managed to end up with a bad unit.

𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

No ideas, but just curious why you turn your monitor off in the first place? Monitors go to sleep automatically... I don't think I have turned my monitors off in years.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

I had issues like that but only on Windows 7. My 4k and 3440 x 1440 monitors would not work properly unless I installed the factory drivers. 

I know that Win 10 is better at this sort of thing but I still install the monitor drivers. 

RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB  

On 7/12/2019 at 8:07 AM, Slottr said:

Have you considered RMA'ing the display?

The AW3418DW is a fantastic display, I think you just managed to end up with a bad unit.

This is the 3rd one, RMAd the first 2 because of insane back light bleed & the second one came back with a 2 inch gash on the bezel leaving bare metal. I gave up with this one being just as bad. I have absolutely zero faith in Dells ability to fix this, & for sure won't be buying any alienware products ever again, regardless of how good they are. Everything to do with this monitor has been an absolute nightmare.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, Votivee said:

No ideas, but just curious why you turn your monitor off in the first place? Monitors go to sleep automatically... I don't think I have turned my monitors off in years.

Sometimes you just have to turn a monitor off, man. Whether it be to kill the lights for a minute, or something else. Like I said, It can happen if I don't turn on the monitor before turning on my computer, or if I'm switching between displayport and HDMI. I don't think it's that strange, & it's a massive pain in the ass that shouldn't happen at all