Recycled SSDs , Can They be reused?

Scboy4ever

I recently bought 20 used SSD’s from a local recycle center for 5 bucks each. The first one worked fine when I loaded Windows on it but many of the others aren’t working. They show up in the bios and Windows installation but when I go to load Windows on it the files won’t copy over and an error appears. I’m thinking they may of been shredded with a program before recycling ? If so are they lost, or is there a program that can repurpose them?

Id go test all the drives with a disk checking software and read the smart data first before intsalling windows on it.

If its a bad drive, nothing you can do easil.

Try reformating them. If you can't, then it's likely a hardware problem

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

SSDs, different to HDD have a limited amount of data that can be written onto them. 

When this write threshold has been reached, some drives don't allow write access anymore, or some intel ssd even go write protect and brick themselfs after a reboot. 

So getting used/refurbished SSDs isn't such a good idea. 

Yes some now may say "But Anghammarad is stoopid coz modern SSDs have a lot larger lifespan!" sure... but as long as you can't read out the total bytes written onto them to check the lifetime left on them, it is mostly a financial headshot, no matter if 5 bucks or 10 cents, just lost.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Find the brand/model of them and see if the manufacturer offers a diagnostic tool for it. They will typically report if there is a problem, and also how much remaining life is on them. If not available, you can try generic SMART tools like CrystalDiskInfo.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks for the info. Why would manufacturers limit the data amount on SSDs?. That’s really disturbing. Hopefully a few them will pan out so I don’t take a loss. 

9 minutes ago, Scboy4ever said:

Thanks for the info. Why would manufacturers limit the data amount on SSDs?. That’s really disturbing. Hopefully a few them will pan out so I don’t take a loss. 

not a manufacture limit normally(cough cough intel). Its a limitation of the nand flash cells, but this doesn't seem like a out of writes issues.

Can you show the smart into of the drives and run something like badblocks on them?

On 7/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, Scboy4ever said:

Um.... they don't limit the number of writes. SSDs wear out over time, just like anything else. Despite having no moving parts, flash NAND memory only has so many write cycles before the cells will no longer retain 1's or 0's successfully. If they're decent brand name SSDs, like Crucial or Samsung, you can usually install software from the manufacturer's website to see how many write cycles they've been through so you can gauge which drives may be more worn out than others.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just an update. So it seems the issue was with the laptop I was refurbishing. Now I feel so stupid. All the SSD's checked out and I made a sweet profit. I also bought 10 Dell Latitudes E6540 i7's 4th gen's for 15.00 each, 1080p resolution. Only need the hard drive caddy and drive which I put the the SSD's. I also got a few i5 (4th gen laptops ) for 15 each so the profit was good. Thanks for your help. Peace.