Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Radiolint

CPU temps climbing, dellidded & WC

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

Over the last 3-4 months, my 7940X temps have been rising a lot, and I've been having more hard crashes with overclocks that used to be perfectly stable (complete lock up, no bluescreen). The only things that changed hardware wise has been an EK monoblock (from an EK Supremacy EVO), and a founders 2080ti w/EK blocks (from a Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 1080Ti), but temps remained the same after installing them. My 7940X is delided with liquid metal. Temps were always just a few degrees above idle (23-25c, ambient is 70f/21c), but the last few months CPU temps have climbed up and up, to the point where temps are 50+c on startup, then settle at 38-45c at idle. I know this temp is fine, but a 20c jump with no particular reason in such a short time is what's worried me. Weird thing is, running Cinebench at default speeds, max temps are fine - averaging mid 60s. However when even modestly overclocked, I get things in the high 90's and multiple cores shoot well over 100, when the exact same overclock had me in the high 70s/low 80s before. Again around a 20c change. Here's my system, the entire thing is in my profile if you need more

Specs:

i9 7940X (delided w/conductonaut liquid metal, stock clock)

ASUS Rampage VI Extreme X299 (newest BIOS 1704) All Stock Settings

128gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000mhz (no xmp, stock 2133)

Founders RTX 2080Ti on EK Vector waterblock

EVGA Supernova G2 1300W 80+ Gold PSU

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903, Build 18362.239, all updates

Cooling:

EK R6E Monoblock

EK 2080Ti Vector waterblock

EK PE 360 rad

EK CE 280 rad

Bitspower Leviathan SF 360 rad

EK Revo D5 pump/res

The amount of cooling and liquid metal should have these temps way under control, no clue why things have changed so much. Anyone have any ideas? Appreciate it.....

17 minutes ago, Radiolint said:

I assume your GPU temperatures have stayed the same, therefore ruling out a general increase in ambient temperature over the last few months?

Are you using the stock IHS? I have seen people have issues with copper IHS and liquid metal.

Yeah GPU temps are fine and never even got close to 50c on either card. I'm in a controlled room, temps fluctuate from 68-78f / 20-25c), so no ambient heat spikes

Stock IHS too, I thought about pulling it out and checking it, but It's been only about a year and I know LM doesn't go bad that fast

OK, even now after loading bios defaults and just lightly browsing the web, it's idling at 40+ and getting random complete lock ups.

I'm completely dumbfounded.