network switch reccomendation

Maomocake

Hey, guys, I'm planning to upgrade to a gigabit network switch and I also want to use it as a practice for getting my CCNA/P certification what do you all recommend I get?

(Side note, since I'm going to practice on it any suggestion that can use an ethernet cable for CLI will be great, but if not ill invest in a console port to USB adaptor)

Thanks Guys

What do you have now? What do you define as faster? Gigabit or 10 Gigabit?

Any enterprise switch will need a USB to console adapter btw, outside of small business stuff I don't know of any that use straight ethernet for console access (excluding using a dedicated console server)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

What do you have now? What do you define as faster? Gigabit or 10 Gigabit?

Oh, I'm looking for a gigabit switch right i forgot to mention that ill go edit the question 

3 minutes ago, Maomocake said:

Hey, guys, I'm planning to upgrade to a faster network switch and I also want to use it as a practice for getting my CCNA/P certification what do you all recommend I get?

(Side note, since I'm going to practice on it any suggestion that can use an ethernet cable for CLI will be great, but if not ill invest in a console port to USB adaptor)

Thanks Guys

buy the most recent and high end cisco switch you can afford. do yourself a favour and get a good USB to serial

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

Just now, Maomocake said:

Oh, I'm looking for a gigabit switch right i forgot to mention that ill go edit the question 

All good, if you're willing to separate things out then perhaps an unmanaged 8 or 16 port gigabit switch for home use and then something virtual like VIRL on packet.net for studies would be my recommendation.

If you really want a physical switch then something like a 4948 can be had for pretty cheap these days.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, astranger200 said:

buy the most recent and high end cisco switch you can afford. do yourself a favour and get a good USB to serial

ok noted on the serial adaptor part but ill see what the rest have to say about the switch thanks anyways

4 minutes ago, Maomocake said:

ok noted on the serial adaptor part but ill see what the rest have to say about the switch thanks anyways

One other note is that Feb 2020 the certs are changing so I would work hard to get your CCNA and CCNP before then, or at least get to a good stopping point :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

One other note is that Feb 2020 the certs are changing so I would work hard to get your CCNA and CCNP before then, or at least get to a good stopping point :) 

yeah i saw that that's why I'm asking for recommendations instead of doing my own research myself ?

1 minute ago, Maomocake said:

yeah i saw that that's why I'm asking for recommendations instead of doing my own research myself ?

Haha, makes sense :)

Yah, if you don't want a lot of gear then VIRL and Packet.net is the way to go.

When I was getting my certs I wish I had that option, lol, but I went CCNA then CCNP Switch > Route > TShoot

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: