Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luciel

Very old Laptop LCD issue / repair?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello all,

Not sure if this is in the right section (or if any at all would suit this). Haven't had much luck at all finding suggestions on other forums (even retro) on what to do (if anything) with this so, here we go.

While sorting out our storage, I came across my father's old laptop. We never used it much as soon after he got it, his work supplied him with another laptop. Because of this the laptop has remained pretty much in brand new condition with one exception. The screen, it's almost as if it had melted but it works fine, I mean, it's hard to see because of what you see on the photos, but the screen itself seems to work. Any suggestions on if this is even fixable? Kind of scared to apply any sort of product without seeking advice first.8.jpg.394cbc51b72c7c9ada5f294b32786131.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Modding Portfolio

neonit.net

From the images provided, it looks like whatever your laptop has going on here is underneath the surface level of the panel.

I can't comment as to what it is, I've never seen anything like this personally. Theoretically, it's possible to replace the panel if you're willing to pull the thing apart, but finding a working one today is going to be difficult at best. I doubt any level of surface cleaning with any product is going to resolve this issue.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, Semper said:

From the images provided, it looks like whatever your laptop has going on here is underneath the surface level of the panel.

I can't comment as to what it is, I've never seen anything like this personally. Theoretically, it's possible to replace the panel if you're willing to pull the thing apart, but finding a working one today is going to be difficult at best. I doubt any level of surface cleaning with any product is going to resolve this issue.

It is really weird indeed, you can feel it when you touch it as well, it's almost like melted plastic and my first thought was it must've shorted out at some point and created enough heat to melt it or something (also looks like it's rubbed on based on the pattern) but nothing else seems damaged and when you turn it on, the screen itself works fine, obviously you struggle to see much because of the issue but the underlying panel seems fine.

My theory so far would be that the panel has another layer on top that is plastic, acrylic or something which is what's actually damaged, if that's the case maybe I can replace it, granted it will never look original this way but the important thing I think is that the panel itself, seems in working order.

Like you said, finding parts for this is no go. Viglen is still around (now part of the Amstrad conglomerate) but back in the day, all of their Laptops where mostly custom if I remember correctly so it's not like you could find another laptop from the era and figure out compatible parts****. If the rest of the laptop was in bad shape I provably wouldn't bother but it's just in such good condition that feels criminal not to try and bring it back to life. It's even got a era appropriate canon bubble jet portable printer o go with it (also still working).

**** going through the photos again I noticed an FCC ID (HFSSK4C) which brings a date of 20th of October 1992 with name "Quanta Computer Inc Notebook Computer SK4C". Doesn't mean much though since Quanta Computer is the largest laptop manufacturer in the world, it could've easily been made under order or maybe it is generic after all? Either way, I don't think this changes anything in terms of parts.

Modding Portfolio

neonit.net