Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Exoriya

[Upgrading from a 8350fx]

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have finally.. finally.. not only saved up enough to purchase a better build, however i can afford food and necessities as well xD.

So I literally still have my very first build of my PC. Only things I have upgraded on it was the Power Supply from a [Bronze] that died on me *Which i recommend never going cheap on the PSU*. I also upgraded the GPU from a amd 7700? I forgot which it was lol. 

So far, the comp is pretty much this: 

8350fx 

1070 EVGA boosted. 

average SSD / 1tb HD. 

Rest of it is just cheapo mobo/ddr3 ram. etc. Now, I'm still searching on which CPU i wanna go. I'm deciding between a 9900k vs a 3900k from AMD. However, I want to go with the best option that will provide me the best Single Core speed but also enough multi-core speed for gaming. I plan on live-streaming, recording, as well playing games.

Here is the comp so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YvGT3b

Lemmie know what you guys think?

For live streaming, be sure to use the New NVENC encoder. 1080p 30fps 3500Mb/s for me only uses about 5-8% of my GTX 970, compared to 20-50% of my i7 8700K.

I'd personally go with Ryzen, however Intel still seems to hold the lead for gaming performance.

Consider swapping the 970 Evo out for an 860 Evo (unless you buy it right now while it's only $90 for the 500GB model). There's not much noticeable difference in performance (for most situations) between SATA SSDs and NVMe SSDs. You can often get around 2x the capacity for the same cost by getting a SATA SSD instead. (500GB 970 Evo is normally $150, while the 1TB 860 Evo is $138).

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Certifications: Testout PC-Pro, Network-Pro, & Security-Pro; CompTIA A+ 801 & 802; Certiport IC3 GS5; Microsoft Technology Associate: Software Development Fundamentals.

If you are planning on livestreaming and recording, you should get the R9 3900x as you will benefit from the additional threads.

Single-Core performance of the 3900x is very close to the 9900k anyway so your games will not suffer.

I'm yet to dive into the Zen 2 lineup benchmarks personally, so i'm unable to quote specific numbers here, but I believe that AMD has Intel handily beat for raw performance when it comes to gaming and streaming on the same machine (potentially recording as well, depending on the circumstances and how recording is being handled). I'd encourage you to look at some benchmarks, I know Gamers Nexus has done some benchmarking specifically on this subject. It will come with the tax of having to wait, however, as stock is long gone at retailers, and I'd imagine the resale market (ebay, hardwareswap, ETC) are preying for exorbitant/extortionate prices on those who don't have patience.

I can not in good faith encourage or leave a post here without giving you my perspective on why I avoid anything Asus like it carries the plague. This is my personal experience, and I provide it to you (and others) so that they can make a more informed decision. It's not a "reeeee don't buy Asus or you're a worthless being reeeee".

I know it's only a partial build, however additional storage will almost certainly be needed. @TheKDub has a solid suggestion on the 860 evo. "large" 2.5" sata SSD's do tend to be slightly cheaper as well, so that is always a consideration. I've been very happy with the MX lineup from Crucial.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Not 3600 or at least 3200mhz being zen 2? From what I’ve gathered it does benefit the IF

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

well if the BEST performance is what you want, and a 9900k is on the table in terms of budget, then shouldn't people be recommending the 9900k? It has the better all-round gaming experience and while AMD has gotten very close, the 9900k still offers better single thread performance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these performance leads was a result of optimizations. I guess the 12 core would be more appealing if your workload took advantage of the extra cores.

I believe AMD true value is in the stack below the high end gaming build, even with Zen2, unless I am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Ertman said:

well if the BEST performance is what you want, and a 9900k is on the table in terms of budget, then shouldn't people be recommending the 9900k? It has the better all-round gaming experience and while AMD has gotten very close, the 9900k still offers better single thread performance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these performance leads was a result of optimizations. I guess the 12 core would be more appealing if your workload took advantage of the extra cores.

I believe AMD true value is in the stack below the high end gaming build, even with Zen2, unless I am I missing something?

I’m sorry but even a 3700x comes close to 9900k in certain loads. 3900x being at same price point but 4 more cores and 8 more threads.. I’d say it be dumb getting ‘old’ tech with zen 2 on the block 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Not 3600 or at least 3200mhz being zen 2? From what I’ve gathered it does benefit the IF

you can manually clock it to 3200 tho

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

13 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I’m sorry but even a 3700x comes close to 9900k in certain loads. 3900x being at same price point but 4 more cores and 8 more threads.. I’d say it be dumb getting ‘old’ tech with zen 2 on the block 

I would agree personally, but isn't this about what the OP asked, which was the BEST performance for the outlined scenario? I do find it funny that its dumb to get 'old' tech that still outperforms Zen2 in the workflow outlined?

'

I think the biggest argument to be made is that the extra cores could come in handy in the future, but does it make any difference now/near future? If we are talking about budgetary compromises, I think it would be silly to go with Intel.

FWIW If I were building a PC right now, I too would choose a Zen 2 CPU.

13 minutes ago, Ertman said:

I would agree personally, but isn't this about what the OP asked, which was the BEST performance for the outlined scenario? I do find it funny that its dumb to get 'old' tech that still outperforms Zen2 in the workflow outlined?

'

I think the biggest argument to be made is that the extra cores could come in handy in the future, but does it make any difference now/near future? If we are talking about budgetary compromises, I think it would be silly to go with Intel.

FWIW If I were building a PC right now, I too would choose a Zen 2 CPU.

Have a look at CSGO benchmarks which are heavy heavy cpu bound

37 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Infinity Fabric is no longer linked to memory speed, so there's only a minimal performance improvement with faster memory. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/3.html

35 minutes ago, Ertman said:

The 9900k isn't better than the 3900X. It's just slightly better than the 3700X, but at a much higher price.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Infinity Fabric is no longer linked to memory speed, so there's only a minimal performance improvement with faster memory. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/3.html

The 9900k isn't better than the 3900X. It's just slightly better than the 3700X, but at a much higher price.

So you are saying the 3900x is better at gaming? 

34 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Have a look at CSGO benchmarks which are heavy heavy cpu bound

If thats all the OP is playing, I would agree with you, most games don't use that many threads, have a look at the other gaming benchmarks.

Like I said before, I would go with Zen, but to my knowledge the Intel CPUs are still the top performers in most scenarios outlined, something I could be wrong about, and feel free to correct that assertion.

Either choice by the OP will be VASTLY superior to the fx8350

59 minutes ago, Ertman said:

If thats all the OP is playing, I would agree with you, most games don't use that many threads, have a look at the other gaming benchmarks.

Like I said before, I would go with Zen, but to my knowledge the Intel CPUs are still the top performers in most scenarios outlined, something I could be wrong about, and feel free to correct that assertion.

Either choice by the OP will be VASTLY superior to the fx8350

No I meant, comparing zen+ to zen 2 in comparison with 9900k the FPS gap is basically nihil 

3 hours ago, Exoriya said:

I'll recommend something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($73.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $630.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 08:14 EDT-0400

PRIMARY PC

Ryzen 5 2600 - ASRock B450 Pro4 - G.Skill Trident Z (8x2 3000MHz) - Intel 660p Series 512GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB - MSI GeForce GTX980Ti LIGHTNING - NZXT H500i - Super Flower Leadex ll Gold 650 Watt

SECONDARY PC

Xeon X5680 - Asus SABERTOOTH X58 - Crucial (4x2 1333MHz) - Crucial BX500 480GB - MSI RX 570 GAMING X - Cougar MX330 - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 Watt

LAPTOP

Acer Nitro 5 - 7300HQ - 8GB DDR4 2133MHz - GTX 1050Ti - Intel 600p Series 256GB - Seagate Barracuda TB

17 hours ago, Ertman said:

So you are saying the 3900x is better at gaming? 

Sometimes. But the difference isn't that big. The 3700x is a better deal. We still don't know for sure if the "more cores!" mentality is going to be fully embraced by video game developers, as it takes a lot of work on their part.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures