Ryzen 9 3900x Micro ATX motherboard questions, custom case.

My question is for the new Ryzen 9 3900x what kind of micro ATX motherboard would be acceptable with limited to no bottle necks.  Forgive me if I'm missing something new to building.

I'm also looking to put a new 2080 super in it.   What kind of case would you recommend for something like this.

No idea but how much Ram can you stick in a micro ATX? 32.

Any additional suggestions for this build idea would be helpful.

Is it hard to stick it in a custom case such as large scale model of a choas battle cruiser from battle fleet gothic Nurgle of course if you're a fan of the 40k lore.  I do 3D design and scale models so it's just time consuming and expensive to print the parts but not overly challenging some of which can be done with plasticard and other materials .  Thoughts ideas ?

maxresdefault-4.jpgnavigate to the nearest bp gas station

wait till we see what the Asrock X570M Pro4 is made of first. It's the only X570 mATX board and either this or the MSI B450M Mortar is recommended.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just to clarify x570m is a micro ATX but it's not out yet?

And the B450m is the same?  Will either of those mother boards bottle neck the 9 3900x and  the new 2080 super?

55 minutes ago, The Allfather said:

Just to clarify x570m is a micro ATX but it's not out yet?

And the B450m is the same?  Will either of those mother boards bottle neck the 9 3900x and  the new 2080 super?

Yes they're both micro ATX and no it won't bottleneck. Mobos don't bottleneck your cpu and gpu. Cpu and gpu "could" bottleneck each other but that's also debatable.

7 hours ago, The Allfather said:

Is it hard to stick it in a custom case such as large scale model of a choas battle cruiser

Sticking it in isn't the hard part. Designing the case to accommodate all your components and hold them stable is the hard part. Personally I don't think it'd be worth it. 

13 hours ago, celerystruct said:

Yes they're both micro ATX and no it won't bottleneck. Mobos don't bottleneck your cpu and gpu. Cpu and gpu "could" bottleneck each other but that's also debatable.

Sticking it in isn't the hard part. Designing the case to accommodate all your components and hold them stable is the hard part. Personally I don't think it'd be worth it. 

Nice .   Pretty sure they don't have one out yet but what about a mini itx?  Basically same question with the mini itx new Ryzen chip 9 3900x 32gb ram and 2080 super when it drops.

:)

Mobos don't bottleneck your cpu and gpu. 

I don't think so...

Try pairing a 3900x with an a320 mobo. It couldn't deliver enough power to the CPU to boost.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 minute ago, VEXICUS said:

I don't think so...

Try pairing a 3900x with an a320 mobo. It couldn't deliver enough power to the CPU to boost.

Hey lol now we have conflicting information.  I'm guessing you're right about that though.

Oh and if I go with a mini itx X750i  think that's right.. so many arbitrary numbers.   The Louqe Ghost S1 would be perfect for the build. It's basically just panels that slide together. I could mount them in the case.

Okay so a couple of last things before I try this out.

Think it's called a PCIE cable.. the thing that connects a video card to the slot how long can that be? 

Does a company sell custom power switches for custom cases so I can turn the thing on? 

On 7/13/2019 at 8:37 AM, The Allfather said:

Okay so a couple of last things before I try this out.

Think it's called a PCIE cable.. the thing that connects a video card to the slot how long can that be? 

Does a company sell custom power switches for custom cases so I can turn the thing on? 

https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-modflex-8-pin-pci-e-extension-45cm/

That extender for power delivery on GPU.

About motherboard bottlenecking GPU, yout shouldn't worry. CPU on the other hand can be a bit tricky. 3900X have 12c/24t and I wouldn't pair it with some cheap motherboard without VRM heat-sink. 

https://www.caseking.de/asrock-x570m-pro4-amd-x570-mainboard-sockel-am4-mbar-315.html

This one is releasing soon, and it is compatible with Ryzen 3900X, so I would pick this.

edit:

https://www.caseking.de/asus-tuf-b450m-pro-gaming-amd-b450-mainboard-sockel-am4-mbas-434.html

This one also have heat-sinks on VRMs, and Ryzen 3900X listed as supported CPU. So it should work just fine.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 hour ago, Simon771 said:

edit:

https://www.caseking.de/asus-tuf-b450m-pro-gaming-amd-b450-mainboard-sockel-am4-mbas-434.html

This one also have heat-sinks on VRMs, and Ryzen 3900X listed as supported CPU. So it should work just fine.

I wouldn't trust that board even with an 8 core. The MSI B450M Mortar is better. None of the B450/X470 'TUF' boards are worth buying.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

I wouldn't trust that board even with an 8 core. The MSI B450M Mortar is better. None of the B450/X470 'TUF' boards are worth buying.

To be fair, I wouldn't pair 12 core CPU with any mATX board ... but it's listed under supported CPUs, so it should work just fine. If it doesn't, he can always return this board and pick another one.

I know there are a lot of smart engineers on this forum, that don't recommend some motherboards, but I do also have a little bit of trust for manufacturers ... they surely tested those motherboard with 12 core CPU to make sure everything is working fine.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

To be fair, I wouldn't pair 12 core CPU with any mATX board ... but it's listed under supported CPUs, so it should work just fine. If it doesn't, he can always return this board and pick another one.

I know there are a lot of smart engineers on this forum, that don't recommend some motherboards, but I do also have a little bit of trust for manufacturers ... they surely tested those motherboard with 12 core CPU to make sure everything is working fine.

The form factor isn't the issue. The Asus 'TUF' boards are known to be terrible whether mATX or ATX. Also just because it states support for a 12 core doesn't mean you should do it. I mean a low end Z370 board like the Gigabyte Z370M DS3H supports the 9900K with the correct bios but you wouldn't put that cpu in that board (Unless you wanted it to throttle and shut down).

The MSI B450M Mortar is probably the best mATX B450 board. A 12 core would be ok on that.