Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicPirate

PC to replace console in Living Room

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi All,

I've been itching to build a new PC for quite some time, having not done it for around 15 years and could really use some help on spec/components/budget please?

Aside from a few basic games on my work laptop, and toying with the Shadow PC a few months ago, I've done all my gaming on a PS/2/3/4 in front of my TV for the past decade. And to be honest, I am quite happy with that experience. I don't tend to play many FPS's, the games over the last few years that I've enjoyed are; The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Red Dead, Final Fantasy 7, Far Cry 4/5, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, Doom, Firewatch, Fallout 3/4, The Witcher 3, GTA V.  

I'm now toying with the idea of a Living Room PC that would let me play games (with a controller mainly), act as a bit of a media centre, and family backup device (photo's from phones etc..)

What I am looking for is advice on spec/cost for the core components?

I only have a 1080p TV at the moment, but will likely pick up a 4k TV in the next year, so being able to play at resolutions higher than 1080p would be good. I cant imagine I'd need to go up to 4K given the distance I'd be sat from the TV (between 6 and 10 foot)?

It also needs to be reasonably small (in a HTPC case?) and quiet (water cooling?).

I'm guessing a Ryzen 2nd gen would be a good start given the 3rd gen has just released?

Price wise, I don't really have a specific budget, but I've got a figure of £800 in my head that seems like a reasonable outlay without upsetting the wife.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Actually, most watercooling tends to be noisier than higher end air cooler, though those air coolers often are big and bulky.

Note that playing on a TV might introduce slight input lag, but with the kind of games you play it won’t matter. At 1440p/4K it will be hard to fit the necessary hardware into a very small form factor, as heat may be an issue. I’d probably recommend something like an NZXT H200(210mm x 349mm x 370mm) because it’s very straight forward to install parts in, although it’s one of the larger mITX cases out there.

However there are very small cases(like the dancase a4) that can fit hardware like 8700k and rtx 2070/2070 super, which should provide excellent 1440p gaming and decent 4k gaming, but it is a little more challenging to build in.

As for cost, £800 likely could get you a decent 4K experience(60-80fps at low-medium settings on AAA titles) and a pretty good 1440p experience(maybe 100fps at medium high)

If you can compromise and get a larger case, maybe a small mid-tower, you could likely get more bang for your buck as you’d be able to get a Vega 64, which is known to run very hot and wouldn’t be suitable for an SFF PC, but would run fine in a decently sized one. It’s also very cheap for it’s performance category

SFF PC

Mid-Sized PC

As you can see, the Medium sized PC is not only cheaper than the SFF one, it has 500GB more storage, better airflow, and a GPU that performs better in almost every game.

i like water.

GPU Cooling Tier List | CPU Cooling Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | PSU Tier List       <<<<<<PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE BUYING

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: i5-8400

Motherboard: MSI B360 GAMING ARCTIC

GPU: OEM Dell GTX 1070, Cooler Master Vertical GPU Mount

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White

Case Fans: 9x Corsair LL120 RGB + Commander Pro(I know, overkill for my specs but I'm upgrading soon)

Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7

RAM: 2 X 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cables: Cablemod C-Series ModFlex White for RMi and RMx

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks _d0nut, that's really helpful. I'm happy to go for a bigger case to get better performance/bang for buck and take your advice on water cooling. 

With regards to FPS, given that I'm used to a console I think I'd be happy at around 60fps?

How well can the graphics improve as I bring down the fps/how many fps do you lose as you go up a graphics setting? (there's a nomination for broadest question). If I'm getting 100fps at Medium settings, would 60fps be conceivable at High settings?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£118.37 @ More Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (£105.23 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£66.42 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  (£379.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  (£71.90 @ More Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  (£79.00 @ AWD-IT) 
Total: £872.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 11:02 BST+0100

Small formfactor and everything. 

Should be what you are looking for, tho slightly over budget. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£118.37 @ More Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (£105.23 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£66.42 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£51.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card  (£339.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case  (£71.90 @ More Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  (£79.00 @ AWD-IT) 
Total: £832.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 11:03 BST+0100

Closer, but also worse performing by a touch.