CPU Air cooler suggestion

Naxy
Go to solution Solved by Aerpoweron,

Damn. So back to the AMD stock cooler and then do some research which cooler really would fit and looks good to you.

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12a/specification

3 mm too high (158mm and your case has 155)

Mabe you risk it, and send it back if it does not fit?

Hi all!

So I am currently putting together a new PC. For the CPU cooler, I ordered the DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX RGB AIO CPU cooler. To my dismay, I realized that many of the reviews were customers that had their cooler tubes break and spill inside their PC. I could use this AIO cooler and have no problems, but I feel like the tubes breaking is an issue that shouldn't be ignored. I have had the CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler for 2 years now in my old build and have had zero problems with it. I am not sure if I should return the DeepCool cooler and get a better quality one, or return it and get an air cooler. I feel like I am leaning towards the air CPU cooling, and hence why I am in the "Air cooling" section.

So if you guys have any thoughts about all of this and any suggestions for CPU air coolers let me know!

Here is my build;

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

You don't need an AIO water cooler for a 65W TDP CPU, to start with.

Though unfortunately I can't think of any decent quality air coolers off the top of my head that the consensus likes.

Yeah, I agree. Oversight on my part. 

Do you have any favorite air coolers? 

If you're in the US, you can't go wrong with the Deepcool Gammaxx 400. It's an air cooler and, unlike their AIOs and cases, Deepcool's air cooler lineup is pretty solid top to bottom.

If that cooler's too tall for your case, there's the Cryorig H7 (and the H7 Quad Lumi), or you can start messing around with top-down coolers like the Cryorig C1 or Noctua NH-C14S. All of the above can handle a 65W chip with ease.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

What about the stock AMD cooler in the CPU box? If it is the same as the 3700X has, it should do the job great. Is has RGB and 2 cables for the 2 different RGB systems

Advanced issues found

2 minutes ago, Aerpoweron said:

Another question, why do you go with a SATA M.2 SSD? And why do you need the X570 Board?

For the CPU and SSD a X 470 would do fine and is a lot cheaper. And not even slower.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-3900x-3700x-tested-on-x470/

No real particular reason in terms of the SSD, smaller form factor I assume.

A few people mentioned the X-470, but I don't know about in the states but in Canada, it is cheaper, but not that much cheaper to do get crazy about. I just liked the new board, even though I costs a bit more. 

I don't see a reason not to buy a Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 and forget about cooling issues for a while.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I don't see a reason not to buy a Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 and forget about cooling issues for a while.

I really like Noctua. I have their fans on my old system and they are great. So the NH-D15 seems like a good way to go, plus seems like a generally liked cooler. 

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Scratch that, it's actually not compatible with the Lian-Li case.

The HD-D15 and Dark Rock are huge coolers. 

Still, you got a Ryzen 3600 CPU, which has a 65W tdp. Just go with the AMD boxed cooler. But i am not sure if you can disable the RGB. Or if it works when not connected.

For you SSD, just go for a Samsung Evo 970 or similar. Just use a NVME SSD instead of a SATA one. Faster speeds :)

1 minute ago, Aerpoweron said:

The HD-D15 and Dark Rock are huge coolers. 

Still, you got a Ryzen 3600 CPU, which has a 65W tdp. Just go with the AMD boxed cooler. But i am not sure if you can disable the RGB. Or if it works when not connected.

For you SSD, just go for a Samsung Evo 970 or similar. Just use a NVME SSD instead of a SATA one. Faster speeds :)

Yeah, I took a look at the HD-D15, that's one big cooler. 

Noticeably faster speeds for NVE SSD's compared to SATA ones?

The Sata ones, just use the same link as you HDD or SSD you plug via cable to your mainboard.
The NVME SSD use 4 PCI-E lanes from the cpu. With your board and your cpu, you can get with PCI-E 4.0 5 gigabyte per second on a NVME SSD if it supports PCI-E 4.0
Sata, no matter if cable or on the board, you get up to 500 megabyte a second.

I second the NH-D15. Easy to install, about as silent as it gets, and absolutely stellar performance. 

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

6 minutes ago, Aerpoweron said:

The Sata ones, just use the same link as you HDD or SSD you plug via cable to your mainboard.
The NVME SSD use 4 PCI-E lanes from the cpu. With your board and your cpu, you can get with PCI-E 4.0 5 gigabyte per second on a NVME SSD if it supports PCI-E 4.0
Sata, no matter if cable or on the board, you get up to 500 megabyte a second.

Wow, that's fast. The only issue is that they go for in Canada at least $300.00 or more, so they are quite an investment. 

2 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

I second the NH-D15. Easy to install, about as silent as it gets, and absolutely stellar performance. 

Sadly, it doesn't fit inside a Lian-li case, according to PCPartPicker. 

True, NVME SSDs are more expensive. But since you have such a nice board, i would spend the additional money. Otherwise you could just get the SATA SSD you picked. But you need to check first, if your board even supports those, and then in which M.2 slot.

How about the new smaller Noctura cooler?

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12a

or the cheaper one

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12s-se-am4

57 minutes ago, Aerpoweron said:

Another question, why do you go with a SATA M.2 SSD? And why do you need the X570 Board?

For the CPU and SSD a X 470 would do fine and is a lot cheaper. And not even slower.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-3900x-3700x-tested-on-x470/

Better get a high end B450 board 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

7 minutes ago, Aerpoweron said:

True, NVME SSDs are more expensive. But since you have such a nice board, i would spend the additional money. Otherwise you could just get the SATA SSD you picked. But you need to check first, if your board even supports those, and then in which M.2 slot.

How about the new smaller Noctura cooler?

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12a

or the cheaper one

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12s-se-am4

PCPartPicker says there are no compatibility issues with the SSD, and the board has 2 M.2 Slots ?

And both those coolers do not fit with the case. Lol.

Here is an image of all Noctua air CPU coolers that work with my case/build https://ibb.co/vqpyNr4

I picked the 12 cm ones. How small is you case?

I am a little disappointed in Lian Li

5 minutes ago, Aerpoweron said:

I picked the 12 cm ones. How small is you case?

I am a little disappointed in Lian Li

the case dimension is 450mm x 450mm x 275mm

and on the website, it says CPU coolers ≤155mm

Just now, Aerpoweron said:

Damn. So back to the AMD stock cooler and then do some research which cooler really would fit and looks good to you.

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-u12a/specification

3 mm too high (158mm and your case has 155)

I could just cut a little opening in the side so it would fit. :D 

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. I am going to use the stock cooler and see what cooler would work best. 

Bed time for me now. Just give the stock cooler a fair chance, it looks like as it can handle the CPU with ease, and it is easy to mount (it just uses clamps). Additionally it is a top down cooler so your VRM is cooled as well :)

Good night.