Fan Splitters, Controllers and Hubs

Lykrin
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
50 minutes ago, Lykrin said:

O.o I wasn't aware there are so many different variants. From what I see it should be the QE ones. No leds at all. 

After some poking around I have decided to buy Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 120mm and just go with a molex 4pin 4-way splitter. 

I have just one last question. Would it be a good idea to have two F14 fans in front and two F12 at the back? All connected to the same splitter. 

Or would it cause some issues? 

Are the current fans too noisy? The arctic F12's aren't dramatically better than the AF140 QE's and stock Aer case fans. What you're asking about would work though. 

You should be able to use a 4-way splitter to power 4 fans off of the sys_fan header whether they be the stock Aer F120/140's or the AF140 QE's since they each draw less than 0.2A each and the motherboard fan header should support at least 1A. A 3-way splitter into another 3-way splitter also works. 

The NH-D15 comes with a fan splitter so you can plug them both into the cpu_fan header.

Hello all,

I am currently building new system in nzxt h200 case along with msi b450i gaming pro ac motherboard. 

I just now looked at the motherboard connections and realized it only has 2 fan headers, (1Sys, 1CPU)  while I need, well want to connect 6 fans. (2CPU fans with DH-15, 2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top) 

Here comes my question. Will I be good with just using two 3x 3pin fan splitters? Or should I invest in a fan controller? Or perhaps one of the molex to 3pin adapters? 

What fans are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

57 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fans are you using?

I am currently using 2x NF-A15 fans (CPU) and 4x Corsair AF140 (CASE). I am tempted to replace the Corsair fans for something more modern with 4pin PWM support as I need to buy two 120mm fans anyway due to case limitations.

Edit:

I plan to use 2-way splitter for CPU fans and 4-way molex + 4pin splitter for rest of the fans.

Edited by Lykrin

1 minute ago, Lykrin said:

I am currently using 2x NF-A15 fans (CPU) and 4x Corsair AF140 (CASE). I am tempted to replace the Corsair fans for something more modern with 4pin PWM support as I need to buy two 120mm fans anyway due to case limitations.

Which AF140's? There are at least 3 variants including QE's, LED QE's, and LED (2018). 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

40 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which AF140's? There are at least 3 variants including QE's, LED QE's, and LED (2018). 

O.o I wasn't aware there are so many different variants. From what I see it should be the QE ones. No leds at all. 

Edit:

After some poking around I have decided to buy Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 120mm and just go with a molex 4pin 4-way splitter. 

I have just one last question. Would it be a good idea to have two F14 fans in front and two F12 at the back? All connected to the same splitter. 

Edited by Lykrin

50 minutes ago, Lykrin said:

Are the current fans too noisy? The arctic F12's aren't dramatically better than the AF140 QE's and stock Aer case fans. What you're asking about would work though. 

You should be able to use a 4-way splitter to power 4 fans off of the sys_fan header whether they be the stock Aer F120/140's or the AF140 QE's since they each draw less than 0.2A each and the motherboard fan header should support at least 1A. A 3-way splitter into another 3-way splitter also works. 

The NH-D15 comes with a fan splitter so you can plug them both into the cpu_fan header.

21 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thanks for the replies. I think I have a good idea about what to do now. As for why I want to upgrade, change the fans, is just the use of PWM and uh.. uniformity?  I like things such as fans and whatnot to be same or at least very close in looks to each other. Kinda weird OCD thing but eh. 

As for the Noctua fan splitter, I seem to have misplaced it somewhere. Tho I guess, any PWM 2-way splitter will work. 

8 minutes ago, Lykrin said:

Tho I guess, any PWM 2-way splitter will work. 

Yep, pretty much.