Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vectraat

Can't safely eject devices.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I seem to be running into an issue where I can't safely eject USB Mass Storage Devices even after reboot. Not sure what is causing this. Any idea? Even if I only access a single file and close the file down after, I still receive this message. 

Problem Ejecting.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you're certain there's nothing using the drive, you can just yank it out. 

Well, you never can be certain with Windows can you. I'm not actively accessing/transferring anything to the drive, but for peace of mind I'd prefer to be able to safely eject to avoid the possibility of file corruption. I do find it highly unusual that even after a reboot the issue still persists when that has always worked in the past. I tend to work with a lot of external storage plugged in all the time so dealing with this is a bit of a nightmare. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vectraat said:

Well, you never can be certain with Windows can you. I'm not actively accessing/transferring anything to the drive, but for peace of mind I'd prefer to be able to safely eject to avoid the possibility of file corruption. I do find it highly unusual that even after a reboot the issue still persists when that has always worked in the past. I tend to work with a lot of external storage plugged in all the time so dealing with this is a bit of a nightmare. 

You have to find which process is using the drive. If it's persistent, my gut feeling is Windows parked a system level file in there.

 

If you shut down the PC, you can unplug it and be on your merry way if you're that paranoid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You have to find which process is using the drive. If it's persistent, my gut feeling is Windows parked a system level file in there.

Ok, and how do I quickly and accurately find out which process is using the drive? I mean, I can load up task manager but there's kind of a lot of things running. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

Ok, and how do I quickly and accurately find out which process is using the drive? I mean, I can load up task manager but there's kind of a lot of things running. 

I'm not sure how effective this is but: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

 

Alternatively there are tools built in Windows: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-process-locked-file-openfiles-utility/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm not sure how effective this is but: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

 

Alternatively there are tools built in Windows: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-process-locked-file-openfiles-utility/

Hmm, someone else where told me to uninstall all of my universal serial bus controllers to try and solve this issue and Windows will re-detect them upon reboot. Does this sound plausible or crazy? Also, could this be an indexing issue? 

CDWOiuf.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

Hmm, someone else where told me to uninstall all of my universal serial bus controllers to try and solve this issue and Windows will re-detect them upon reboot. Does this sound plausible or crazy? Also, could this be an indexing issue? 

CDWOiuf.png

Drivers aren't supposed to be necessary (in fact, I don't recall ever needing to install USB drivers in forever). But if the problem device is because of the drive, it may be a problem with the drive or the port.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×